Thread: Optimum top dimensions for a reloading bench ?

Basic Member

Optimum top dimensions for a reloading bench ?

What are the optimum top dimensions for a reloading bench ?

Bench top available to the left and right of the press ?

Bench top available behind the press ?

Berger.Fan222
    If you have the space, I'd say as big and heavy as possible. I built a 32" x 96" bench back in the 90s when just beginning to reload and never had any regrets. The weight and the width give it a lot of stability when performing press operations that require a lot of force. There is lots of space for accessories and components and cleaning a rifle.

Basic Member
    Here is one I built... Its 40" from floor to top of bench. It works good for both sitting on stool and standing however if I knew I was going to be sitting mostly I would have lowered it and if I knew I was going to be standing mostly, I would have raised it just a touch... The benchtop is 32" deep by 96" wide and the shelving takes up 8" of that 32" leaving me a 24" x 96" workspace on top. Its perfect for me with the amount of reloading that I do... I also used the 16" piece of plywood leftover from one of the benchtop pieces to build a little shelf underneath. I think I've got couple hundred bucks in it..

Team Savage
    Looks great

LongRange
    I built my bench out of an old metal school teacher desk and now wish it were bigger. I like the benches you guys posted and have been planing on building a new one this winter and think 48"x96" will be perfect.

Basic Member

Smile

If this is the same Idaho "Hammer" that I did a little business with five or six years ago, You are the last person that should be asking ANY questions regarding a reloading room.
    laportecharlie

seanhagerty
    I made mine 36" X 120" and love all the space. It may be just a tad to deep, maybe 32" because I have to lean into the bench to get to the bins I hung above it.

D.ID
    Which reloading bench are you asking about? The one for the big progressive and all the handgun loading materials #1 or the rifle station bench #2, or the "extra" #3 when two was not enough. If I built one bench it would have to be 20' long and 3' feet deep.
    As it sits right now, I have two 3'x5', one 2'x5', one 5'x2'x6'h cabinet............ a 4'x5' bench at the other house...............a 30"x5' countertop specifically for working on the rifles. And store most the powder in a safe in the other room:)
    In answer to you specific questions: bench top behind, yes. Bench top to left and right? yes. Shelves? yes. etc, etc.
    Oh ya, and an independent 2'x2' bench for a powder dispenser.

TC260
    Quote Originally Posted by Berger.Fan222 View Post
    I'd say as big and heavy as possible
    +1 first and foremost, build it heavy and rigid.

Basic Member
    I used a 36" solid core door and a wood desk about 8' long total. But really 4-5' width for each station would be nice.

Mounted a cheap gunvise on a Black and Decker workmate for bedding and scope mounting tasks.

48" X 96" 1" thick finished plywood, 2 X 4 framing and from what I have found after doing several 42" in height is optimum, I will have less than $100.00 into it by the time I am done, I will post some pics later.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Where's the pics Dean? Now that I have been loading for a little more then a year finally have an idea of how may times things get rearranged while trying to find that perfect "to me" process. Mine is an existing bench I had in the shop I adapted and I am glad I went that route building something when I first started would have been a waste of time and money.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

As you can see plenty of room, I am going to put some peg board, and some more shelving and paint the top light grey.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Doubled up on they out side edge.
    [IMG][/IMG]

This is where the press goes.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I am going to add lights

[IMG][/IMG]
    Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 12-21-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Well for some reason I can't lok at your pics at the house either dean going to try the ipad in a minute.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

seanhagerty
    I cant see them either

Reloading Bench

I fixed the Pics.

Dean

PS: The 1" sheet of plywood was the biggest expense $50.00 but is what makes it, it feels twice a rigid as a 3/4" for only $15.00 more, that and 8, 2x4s instead of 2X3s and a box of 100, 2 1/2" decking screws and 4 L brackets to secure the legs to the floor.
    Last edited by scope eye; 12-21-2014 at 09:42 AM.

That looks good in that new house you built. Got any pictures of the lake?

It is actually a river and is tidal I am 5 min away from Battleship cove http://www.battleshipcove.org/exhibits/ and 30 min away from Newport RI , I just took these 5 min ago with my phone, so this is what you get on such short notice, It looks totally different in the summer, enjoy

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Dean
    Last edited by scope eye; 12-21-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Basic Member
    I dont believe the size is as important as how its layed out as for function.
    Lots of woman say they want a really big kitchen, then find they need roller
    skates to get around in it. Loading is as a rule a 1 person operation. Therefore
    i feel the less moving about the better especially as i have gotten older and sit
    while i load. last year i remodeled the loading area at our camp by first moving
    the water heater. I now have a u shaped area with 2 legs about 5' long and 40"
    between. The top is 16" deep with shelves or cabinets above all around.
    i can sit on a stool and reach everything all around except the upper shelves.
    My powder measures and scale are sitting/atteched to an 8" deep shelf at the
    proper height for me to use them while sitting which is 12" above the top.
    All other shelves are 20" above and the top itself is standard cabinet height of 36"
    which works well for my size. There is also shelving all round under the top for
    storage and my case tumbler which has an outlet there. I have 3 presses attached
    to the inside 40" leg of the top 1 of which is a 50 cal size and theres plenty of space.
    I also have a press attached to 1 of the 60" legs which is relagated to decapping only.
    The 3rd leg of the top is left clean for whatever needs to be placed upon it.
    Its designed like a compact galley kitchen where one need only turn around to reach
    the sink or the stove or the fridge.

Yobuck, Your layout is similar to the one I had in my garage for years, until my wonderful bride needed room to park her new car. So the lathe or the bench had to go. Got any pictures

I am the proverbial bull in the china shop, I will knock over 6 things reaching over to grab one thing, so more space is always welcome.

Dean

Basic Member
    If I remember correctly, Hammer's reloading room is bigger than my shop! Saw a pic on here a couple of years back.