Thread: Axis rebarrel Q's

Basic Member

Axis rebarrel Q's

I picked up an axis in .223, with the light sporter barrel, did the trigger spring trick and plastic stock tweeks. Very slow fire groups are comfortably under 1/2 MOA, with handloads. If I rapid fire, the barrel starts to walk by the third shot. (no surprise) It actually performs better than I expected. The original reason I bought this sweet shooter, was to use as a platform to be re barreled for a couple of High speed pistol calibers, 22 TCM and 7.62 X 25, in a carbine length configuration.

Next on the agenda, is to re barrel. I have a stainless, fluted, Remington varmint barrel takeoff, chambered 22-250, 1:14 twist (never fired). The plan is to cut off the factory chamber, duplicate the axis barrel thread and bolt clearance, then re chamber in 22 TCM.

Since the 22 TCM is, essentially a cut down .223 case, the bolt / head is correct and the round, although quite a bit shorter, should feed just fine from the magazine.

Sound's like a pretty straight forward conversion. (AFAIK the re worked REM barrel will headspace just like any other Savage barrel) I don't see any problems.

What am I missing?

Anything else I need to know, before I start makin' chips?

Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by red caddy 51; 11-27-2014 at 12:27 AM.

The TCM is to short to eject properly, any thing shorter than a 223 may have ejection issues. As for the barrel, take some measurements & verify that enough metal is there, after cutting off chamber to thread correctly.

Basic Member
    Not enough metal to clean up the chamber of the 22-250.

Basic Member
    Tomme Boy,

I re took all the measurements and you, of course, are correct. My options now are reduced to either sell off the Rem barrel, (it would make a great Remage upgrade or an easy re barrel for a REM 600 or 700 series action) OR, Turn and sleeve the barrel, after cutting off most of the 22-250 chamber, then turn and thread the sleeve, (Sleeve length about 4 inches OAL, minimum 3/16th inch wall thickness) and chamber for the 22 TCM.

Any input?

Thanks, Paul

Basic Member
    talk to one of the venders about a new barrel.
    Buy a green mountain barrel blank
    Sell the Rem barrel

By the time you sleeve it, you could have just bought a green mountain barrel blank. I know several people local that have several rifles built using GM barrels.