Thread: My Model 12 BVSS in 22-250

Basic Member

My Model 12 BVSS in 22-250

So I don't know that this actually qualifies as a "build" thread since I didn't change that much on the rifle (action and barrel are still untouched factory) and what I did change didn't require a ridiculous amount of effort, BUT...it looks and shoots a crap load better now. I'll start with some before photo's.

Here she is pretty much as I purchased her. Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA reticle. Cheapo Champion Bi-Pod. My LGS mounted the scope for me at this point, wasn't super happy with their service. Had to bore sight it the old fashioned way.

Here's the second stage of devlopment. Added the Harris Swivel Leg Notch bipod (big improvement), the Vortex bubble level, and the Triad Tactical Stock pack. I shot my first two PRS match's last year with the rifle in this configuration. I was immediately hooked.

Here she is now with my Christmas present to myself An XLR Element chassis, EGW 20 MOA one piece base, Vortex/Seekins Precision Medium Rings, AI 5rd 308 mag, and Short Action Precision 2-round holder. Scope was mounted and level'd and chassis installed and torqued by yours truly. Nothing feels better than a job well done, super satisfying working on these rifles on your own. I had some help from my shooting partner of course, but I'm no longer scared of scope mounting lol More pictures of the new set up will follow. Mods please tell me if I'm getting too picture happy in this thread.

Last edited by Model12BVSS; 02-09-2015 at 04:06 PM.

I'd say it qualifies as a build, and a very nice one at that. Well done.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    Thank you very much Hotolds

Basic Member
    Quiet in here. No love for 22-250's and XLR's these days?

Basic Member
    22-250's don't get much love.

I have one though, just like yours started as. single shot version she has shown remarkable ability

I think you've really done yourself proud!! That is truly one fine lookin rifle!! As for some love for the venerable .22-250, I'll gladly send a little your way... Its one of the finest groundhog thumpers I've ever used. I currently have one in a Weatherby Vanguard with its skinny little 22" barrel, but it surely does shoot lights out!!

Ernie

I'm a big 22-250 fan. I have 2 of them. By far my favorite varmint caliber. Sweet looking rig!
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

I love the 22-250, I had one I called the little red blood cloud maker when hunting woodchucks. I think your build is very nicely done. Post some targets if you can in the near future. What is the bedding like with that chasiss. Is it a vee block or something else?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Thanx everyone. Glad there's some 22-250 love flowing now. Appreciate all the positive feedback. Jonbearman, the XLR chassis doesn't have a V-Block. It's a multi point radial cut inlet, most I've read people doing to them is skim bedding. I don't see the need for it as of yet but I haven't had it long enough to shoot it at distance. 100 yard groups with my 55gr Nosler BT load are solid 1/2 MOA or better. Having trouble with my 69gr Nosler CC load. Pretty sure I've got stability issues cause I developed the load this past summer and it was flawless out to 600 yards. Now I'm getting 2-3in groups at 100. It's basically a 60-80 degree difference from summer temps and I lost over 100fps. Once I get it sorted out ill post some pics. Might have to wait til it gets warmer out. We've been seeing -15 degree temps with the wind chill here in Jersey lately.
    Last edited by Model12BVSS; 02-17-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Basic Member

Small Update

Haven't done much shooting with it lately, but figured I'd post some pictures of a recent small upgrade that made a big difference. I purchased a handle assembly and extra bolt knob from Glades Armory and it's a big improvement over even the large factory handle that came on my Model 12. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with the stainless cross hatch knob over the black knob w/the stainless handle but I figure I'd post both pictures and see what you guys think. The black knob has O-Rings on the grooves so its definitely softer and not as rough on the fingers but the stainless cross hatch knob I feel like I can get a more solid purchase on it, even though its slightly rougher on my fingers. Plus I think the all Stainless looks better. Let me know what you guys think. Sorry the quality of the pictures isn't the best, I think there was way too much lighting going on.

+1 for the stainless.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

I think you did a very good job. Enjoy the ride.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    +1 for the stainless.
    Yeah I think my mind is pretty much made up on the stainless knob, great minds think alike Hotolds

Quote Originally Posted by sc1911cwp View Post
    I think you did a very good job. Enjoy the ride.
    Thank you very much! Yeah I can't wait to really put her through the paces this year, so far I've only gone out to 300 yards with it the little I've shot it since the chassis system upgrade. By the end of the month hopefully I'll have taken it out to 700 yards, in preparation for a precision rifle match at New Holland on April 25th. Anxious as hell to bang steel this year, its been a long winter.

Basic Member
    Got a chance to shoot her this past Friday while the weather was decent. Only at 100 yards at my most local range as I didn't have enough time to travel to the other two I belong to that are over an hour away. This place is only 20-30mins from my apartment. I was testing my 69gr Nosler CC load and even tho the temp has gone up 20-25 degrees from the last time I tried them, they're still not perfoming and just on the ragged edge of stabilizing in my 12 twist. Disappointing to say the least. But, I had plenty of my 55gr Nosler BT's loaded up and I spent some time zeroing that load. Pictured is a 5 shot group shot from the prone position using a front tripod rest and rear bag. There's 3 shots in the center hole, believe it or not. Hard to tell in the pic. It's not my best group but certainly not my worst. Def made me happy.

Unrelated to the Savage realm I also shot my best group ever with my Marlin XT 17 HMR w/Boyd's Varmint Thumbhole pepper stock. I had 4 shots a lil over 1/4 inch dead center of the target with one flier. That was prone from the bipod and a rear bag. I'd post a target pic but it's not a Savage so I don't wanna get in trouble lol Overall a pretty satisfying day at the range.

Basic Member
    So I got my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-1 MOA reticle a couple weeks ago. I wanted the EBR2-C reticle originally but it was still 2 months on back order and the EBR-1 was immediately available and I've already been using that reticle for over a year I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea. I got it mounted up the day it came in and have since shot the rifle out to 500 yards with a new load I developed with 64gr Berger FB Match Varmint bullets designed for a 12 twist barrel. I'm very happy with the scope so far, the clarity def seems improved over my 4-16 and the extra magnification really helps with measuring drop, zeroing, and ranging. I was surprised how much more it zooms in on the reticle compared to my 4-16. My only complaints so far are the metal magnification ring as compared to the nice rubber one on my 4-16 and how stiff it is to operate. I'm hoping it will smooth out with use. I definitely think the larger/longer scope looks more at home on the gun than the 4-16, especially with my 26 inch barrel. Overall very happy with it. Here's some before and after pics.