Thread: Got tired of losing my #@^^ washers!

Got tired of losing my #@^^ washers!

I replaced the trigger guards on my Stevens 200 rifles from plastic to metal. Anyway when I take apart the rifles for cleaning and such I'd always have the washers I was using to shim the trigger guard scatter. So I've decided to epoxy them into the stock so this problem wouldn't happen again.

Trying to figure out how to get the washers to stack properly so I could epoxy them in proved to be a little difficult. I happen to work at a large maintenance facility on Ft. Carson so at least I have plenty of materials to work with. I found that 3 1/4" V-Lock washers were the perfect height to shim my trigger guard.

So working with that I used a 1/4" bolt about an inch long with nut to get my washers to stack neatly. I then took 1/2" heat shrink tubing and cut it to about 1/2" and placed it over the washers. Using a pair of pliers to rotate the bolt I used a propane torch to shrink the tubing.

After the tubing and bolt cooled then I used a razor blade to trim the excess tubing away from the washers. The razor fit nicely betweent the bolt head, nut, and the washers. I then finished touching up my shim by draging it a few passes over crocus cloth to remove the little bit of heat shrink left by the razor. Tah-Dah, a perfectly cocooned stack of washers that won't slip, the V-Lock washers have nice little ridges that line up as well to help lock the stack in place.

I then installed the shims with super glue to hold in place and installed the trigger guards to let the glue fully set up. This weekend I planned on bedding both rifles so I'll go ahead and use Acraglass as well to finish up securing my home made shims in the stock. I tried using small tubing at first to to shim my guards but kept crushing the thin walls trying to get it to come out exactly right.

Should have taken pics but while I'm working I forget to do such things.

Uncle Jack

Re: Got tired of losing my #@^^ washers!

taylorce1.....that is probably the most elegant solution to a non-existant problem I've ever heard. You have way too much time on your hands. Stop doing whatever and just kick back. Have a couple of cold ones. Go chase some girls. It'll all be better in the morning.

uj

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    taylorce1.....that is probably the most elegant solution to a non-existant problem I've ever heard. You have way too much time on your hands. Stop doing whatever and just kick back. Have a couple of cold ones. Go chase some girls. It'll all be better in the morning.

uj
    Well if I don't shim the metal trigger guard my rifles don't shoot, because the trigger hangs up on it. So I don't think it was a non-existent problem. Maybe one nobody else cares about though! :-\

As far as chasing girls I don't think my future wife would appreciate it. Working on my rifles in the garage keeps me out of trouble with her if I have all the Honeydo’s done. Drank a couple of cold ones while I did all this as well. ;D

Uncle Jack

No offense intended. Just another of my obviously lame attempts at humor.

uj

:D
    Its OK Jack, I was laughing at it.

Nice job on the spacers. Sure it turned out great.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I was laughing too! That is why I used all the smileys. I realize that probably no one really cares about my shim issues, but I do like venting once in a while. Besides my better half only cares if the gun goes boom. She likes slinging lead with me but could care less about tinkering with rifles and reloading, she just doesn't get that part of the whole gun nut I am.

dcloco

Why not mix up some stock bedding material and use this instead of washers?

UJ - that was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by dcloco
    Why not mix up some stock bedding material and use this instead of washers?

UJ - that was funny.
    Probably because I needed to pick up some bedding compound at the local SW and hadn't got around too it yet.

cornstalker

Probably because I needed to pick up some bedding compound at the local SW and hadn't got around too it yet.
    I'd have loaned you some. Still, it is fun to use our cave time to over-engineer something once in a while.... ;D

BTW, me and the .22 Mag I bought off of you are getting along just fine.

Cool! Glad you are getting some good use out of it. My M93 pretty much stays in the safe, it is easier to reload my .223 than to find .22 WMR for a reasonable price. I had great luck with Federal 30 grain HP in that rifle what are you using in it now?

cornstalker

The CCI 40 grain Hollow Points have been working well. Walmart always has them too.

I just about have my .204 ready. Maybe we can find time to go whack some p-dogs this summer....

Harriershot

Taylorce, why would you use accraglass? I could give you so many reasons why it is junk. I have bedded one rifle with acraglass and the rest with Devcon 10110 steel embedded epoxy putty. I even rebbeded the rifle that I used accraglass with and used Devcon for it.

Use Kiwi neutral shoe polish for release agent, clay or tape where your don't want the Devcon to go and bed away.
    There is no comparison.

Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Harriershot
    Taylorce, why would you use accraglass?
    I started out using it quite a few years ago before I ever heard it was junk. It has always worked for me and the local Sportsmans Warehouse or Big R usually has it in stock. The don't stock Devcon or any other bedding material or else I might try it. I'm sure Devcon is good and I may try it some day.

dnunn

+1 on replacing the plastic trigger guard. I bought a used mod 110 (lefthand and good price) despite noticing a vibration in the stock. No problem, I thought, just needs proper adjustment. So I tightened the screws and test fired. OK. The next time out, the 'vibration' seemed to have returned.

when I removed the trigger guard (plastic), I noticed that the plastic was bulging from the pressure of the action screw. There were no washers on this gun (if I'm understanding this thread correctly), so there was no definite stopping point when tightening the screw. Eventually, the plastic was going to give, and the screw head would pull through completely.

Simple fix: Brownells and a metal replacement. Solid (and real gloss finish!). Problem solved. (No washers or spacers needed for proper trigger clearance.) Glassing bedding the action is next, but that's down the road.

I discovered that I needed to shim or bed the trigger guards when I purchased my second Stevens rifle that the original owner had replaced the guard on. I had problems with the bolt hanging up on my magazine. Without the proper amount of shims under the guard I was pulling the action down too tight before the rear action screws started to snug up. Once I got it the guard properly spaced I quit having trouble with the bolt and my trigger quit hanging up. Here is where I first posted about this problem, if you scroll down the page you can see why I needed to space the trigger guard properly. http://savageshooters.com/SavageForu...html#msg223544