Thread: New guy with a question

hangtime

New guy with a question

Just found this forum the other day, and after reading through old posts I had to sign up.

My question is if I was wanting to build a 338 edge rifle what base components will I need. I already have a 2 stevens 200 rifles. One is a 7mm-08 and the other is a 270. I got the buying bug when I walked into my local academy and they were $200 a piece. This is my first experiance with savage as I grew up with rem 700s, weatherby, and winchester. Both rifles are still in the box. Could iether be used as a build platform for the 338 edge? Now before anyone wants to talk me out of this caliber it is not a need that I have this caliber, but rather a want to. I really like the reviews of it from others, and now I want my own. I do not care if it is a reapeater or single. Also, if anyone can give me the costs that will be encoured with this project minus the stock, base, and optics that would be awsome.

Thank you, Travis

learjet

Re: New guy with a question

i just built a 338 rum on a savage rum action.

savage actions come in quite a variety, shorts, longs, and the slightly longer rum actions. none will work as an edge repeater, the longest savage magbox is 3.6" the edge rounds usually have an OAL of 3.8"ish

you have a short(308) and a long(270). either could be made into a single shot edge. but...u need to find a magnum bolthead - which uses an action mounted ejector, which neither of ur actions have; or you could search here, i think some guys have used the standard magnum pushfeed bolthead for rums, but im not sure. they will be tight, if theyll work at all. then u get into firing pins etc, and they arent always interchangeable when u change boltheads. i went through all this when i planned my rum and just purchased a used 300 rum, and all i had to do was replace the barrel.

also, the various length savage actions can take 2 different sized barrels, these actions are reffered to as small or large shank. at some point savage started making rums, wsms etc on the large shank only. anyways ur best bet may be to read up a bit here, learn the various savage differences before u plunk down the cash to do this build.

id buy this, screw in a 338 rum barrel, and start shootin.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=165523495

my barrel was $300 from mcgowen w a 2 month wait. they would need to rent the edge reamer, so it would probably be about $350. w the rifle above all u need is the barrel - but w any OAL greater than 3.6" itll be a single shot

throw in $100-150 for a brake plus installation...

hth

mopar440

you can build off either you have both are small shank i would use the long the short want ejected a unfired round the long might depending on the case oal im in the middle of my 338edge barrel build off a stevens 7mag i going used the push feed bolt. i order my barrel from NSS SS select match shilen 30'' varmit contour small shank it was right at $340 with everything currently waiting on it

i have new ground recoil lug, new barrel nut, and go gauge to do the swap you will need a barrel nut wrench and action or barrel vise
    some people say they have built reapters i built a dummy round @ 3.780 OAL to see how much work it would take it alot not undoable but i really dont need a reapter so will single feed my rifle it will probly weigh 16# when done

learjet

hey mopar will ur 7mm mag bolthead work w the rum brass?

mopar440

my dummy round snapped on it but i will see how it feeds when i get my barrel i have heard people using the push feed but some had problems ejecting some didn't i have no experience with control feed but does it let the bolt clear the mag well a little more because it has no flange around the bottom of the bolt is this correct and the solid ejector for more reliable ecjection are these the reasons savage went control feed on rum ?

hangtime

Thank you all for the info. After, making a few phone calls I have decided to scale down my plans for this one just a bit. This is my first rifle build so I belive I am actually going to build a 260 as that is another caliber that I have always wanted to own. I also plan on leaving one of the stevens rifles in factory form, and only modify the factory parts to see what it can do. As they progress I will try to snap some photos and post the progress. Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.