Thread: I just can't win with my Model 11 in .308

Rdot

I just can't win with my Model 11 in .308

I bought a Savage 11 in .308, which was on clearance from Cabela's two years ago. I had your typical, and expected combo scope issues, which I have corrected with a Nikon Prostaff and new rings. I have put roughly 40 rounds through it since the new scope, and finally had it (and myself) shooting 1.5" - 2" groups. Today I hit the range, to make sure everything was on point before the start of deer season next week, and on the 5th or 6th round it began to shoot all over. I set it down for a little and picked up another rifle for a few rounds. When I picked up the model 11 again, I felt the action shift. Turns out the stock had come loose. I have never removed the stock before so it was strange to me that this had happened. Needless to say it didn't shoot P.O.A., and I ran out of rounds before being confident it was back to zero. Has anyone else had this issue, and what other issues should I look over before I hit the woods?

Basic Member
    Usually with a new rifle you pull it apart and check everything is ok. This is not just specific to the Model 11 but most firearms.

The stock screws may need to be tensioned correctly. There is an article on here on how to do that.

Accuracy usually improves once that is done.
    Last edited by Code4; 11-26-2014 at 05:15 PM.

Rdot
    Roger that. I tore it apart after I had posted this. I cleaned it up, then sanded the stock (which is slightly out of form) so that it wouldnt rub the barrel anymore, and truly be free floated. I hope to drive tacks next time if I can do my part. Thanks for the input.

Rdot
    I bought this rifle impulsively to start hunting last season. I didn't even have time to site it in. I got an opportunity to shoot a deer, but declined because I didn't know where it would hit. It was still a good experience for someone who has never hunted before. Now that I have shot it some, I have began to see the potential of it. I really need a good wooden stock for it. Anyone have a lead on something like that?

Nandy
    Become a paid user and start perusing the classifieds. If you can afford new, Boyds have a good selection around the $100. They are simple but good wood stocks.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdot View Post
    I bought this rifle impulsively to start hunting last season. I didn't even have time to site it in. I got an opportunity to shoot a deer, but declined because I didn't know where it would hit. It was still a good experience for someone who has never hunted before. Now that I have shot it some, I have began to see the potential of it. I really need a good wooden stock for it. Anyone have a lead on something like that?
    Go to Stocky's Stocks and buy a Bell & Carlson stock with an aluminum bedding block. Not only does this firm up the contact with the action, it has an aluminum rod that goes through the pistol grip, so the stock is less likely to break if you roll your 4-wheeler (voice of experience). Also the aluminum rod goes to the end of the stock, and the sling swivel stud screws into it, which makes it much less likely to rip out than one screwed into a piece of wood (voice of experience). Costs about $250 shipped, and you will hug yourself for getting it. Comes in good colors. I like the darker ones, since I usually hunt out of a ground blind or stand, and darker is better. If you get the action glass-bedded, you will really see how accurate your Model 11 is, and that is usually around 0.6" for 5 shots at 100 yards, using good handloads. Then you will hug yourself some more (voice of experience).

Rdot
    Thank you both for your input. I have the older model 11 with the blind magazine. I was on Stocky's stocks, and did not see a B&C stock for this configuration. They only offer the Manners and Stocky's classic. I like the classic, but have concerns with making the rifle too heavy. I guess ill have to get my scale out and do the math. I wish they offered the B&C ultralight for my model, as it is almost a pound lighter.

Rdot
    I found the B&C medalist for my model, but it weighs in at slightly over 5lbs!! Are there any weight conscience brands for hunters? I'd hate to have to keep the factory stock.

Nandy
    what style of hunting you do? Shot from a ladder stand, climber stand, shooting box, do you stalk or still hunt? My "long range" hunting gun weights 14 lbs, my other guns are around 5 to 8 lbs I guesstimate. I hunt with shooting boxes at the power lines where shots could be at 300 to 400 max. Good thing is all I have to walk is maybe 900 yds to some of these stand but I could drive if I wanted all the way down to most of them so the 14 lbs are not too hard to bare. If I am using a climber I take the lighter guns. Boyds stocks should be good enough especially if you can bed them yourself which is a very easy thing to do.

If it is a hunting gun and you will be stalking or still hunt then I dont see why you need a B&C medalist unless you really like it looks. If this is going to be a long range target gun then I can see the need. BUT all above is my opinion.

Rdot
    Thanks for taking the time to stop by, and share your thoughts. I spot and stalk my prey 90% of the time. I usually backpack a good few miles into the wilderness, well beyond your typical hunter. I'd say most of my shots are between 100-300 yards. I carry a backpack with some general supplies, so weight is a huge factor to me. I don't use a rest or sticks, although I have considered a set of sticks. I don't particularly want a B&C. I was just looking at them by a recommendation of another member. I'm looking for something light and sturdy, that will really help my 11 dial in.

Basic Member
    I noticed you didn't mention looking at Boyd's stocks (could have missed it), also Numrich has OEM wood stocks but not sure of the price.

Nandy
    You need light and sturdy, I think Boyds will fit your needs. I have pillar bedded both of my boyds and I get submoa at 200 yds (after warm up) out of my sporter 30-06 A&B barrel which is a replacement just a bit better than what OEM barrels are. I could not do that with the OEM tupperware.... There are many articles that can help you with your bedding if you are not familiar with the process. Very easy to do, just take patience and some common sense.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.