Thread: New to striker pistols, need some advice

tjson

New to striker pistols, need some advice

Everyone,
    Striker with rear grip, plastic stock, no mods in 243. I want to make a long range pistol for hunting and shooting paper.

1. Make and length of barrel
    2. Muzzle brake or not
    3. I believe the bolt face of 243 is the same for a 6mm br, which is a caliber I want to play with.
    4. Rifle scope, what is to much?
    5. New stock, I like 7fingers looks, but want function not looks

TJ

Does the Striker you have already have a rear grip or is it the original center grip? I think you may be wanting to build something like this...... It is a Leupold VX-3 8.5-25x50 scope on it and the group was shot at 950 yards with a 1:8 twist .243 Win, no brake but with lead in the stock.

More shooting, less typing.

tjson
    Yes sir something like that. I know about scopes, I have the same scope on a model 12 in 223. What barrel did you use? Do you like the stock, looks good?

TJ

It is a McGowen barrel and Joe does excellent work on the stocks. I think this was the first Gen 2 off the line. I found a good deal on a Striker so over the spring it will get built using anot her 7 Fingers chasis.
    Post some pics of your Striker.

tjson
    I will as soon as I get it. What is the the cost for the barrel, length, contour? 7fingers has a price of 450 for their stock is that correct?

I think that is the current rate for the stocks. I ordered a bull contour 17" in length. I have had this barrel for years and think it was $200. I believe the current price is somewhere between $225 and $250.

tjson
    Jamie, thanks for the help. 7fingers sent me an email and they will call me, I will post my findings. I am researching the legal barrel length in GA, I may have to stay at 16 inches to be legal.

TJ

If you are converting a Rifle action, then you must stay over 16" on your barrel and 24" (IIRC, might be 27") on your OAL for the firearm. It will still legally be a rifle and not a pistol unless you start with an actual factory made Striker action, or get an Undesignated Action and have it wrote up as a pistol when you buy it. If you start with a Striker or a UD action then lengths don't matter as it is then legally a pistol.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Jamie, what is the overall length of your pistol here? What screw spacing are you using? TNX

tjson
    It is a factory striker, all stock at this time.

Mine started life as an undesignated action. No one should ever check " handgun" on a 4473 if it is a bare action. Not sure of overall length but screw spacing is 4.4" 3 screw.

tjson
    Everyone,
    Got my striker finally. Well it is a mid grip setup, trigger is nice and crisp, with little to no creep. Raining today so no shooting right now. I want to convert to a rear grip setup. What trigger would you get to make it a long range setup?
    TJ

DaveC
    I like breaks -- this one is 30BR - Factory Target Trigger w/Jard upgrade (about 1#)

This one is 7BR Factory stock w/a little addition.

Have fun with yours.
    Last edited by DaveC; 12-20-2014 at 03:41 PM.

tjson
    Really nice, I have 7fingers stock, and getting a new trigger to convert to rear stock. Will post pics when I get it together.

JCalhoun
    6BR would be fun in a Striker.

tjson
    Everyone,
    Got the 7fingers stock, all I can say is wow. Joe is a great guy and takes the time to help you out.

Got the trigger for Savage Gunsmithing, Scott said it would be easy, and it was. I had to drill out the spot welds that held the forward trigger bracket to get it out. Scott was on the road and told me how to adjust the trigger, 2 minutes and I had it set.

Now I have to find a 6mm br barrel that does not break what is left of my bank. Anyone have a good suggestion????

JCalhoun
    Any of our fine barrel vendors can make one for you.

204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

tjson
    Everyone,
    I would like to thank Joe at 7fingers stocks, really nice guy, who took the time to help me out. Got the stock and all I can say is wow.

Savage gunsmithing, Scott was patient and explained a lot of things to me. I ordered a trigger and called him for information and he stayed on the phone while I adjusted the trigger out.

Again thanks for the help. Now I need a 6mm br barrel, needs to fit into my budget, anyone have one for sale????

TJ

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    6BR would be fun in a Striker.
    I love mine. It's a 19" Benchmark. It's super accurate, no recoil, and inexpensive to shoot (once you've got the brass!)

Quote Originally Posted by tjson View Post
    Now I need a 6mm br barrel, needs to fit into my budget, anyone have one for sale????

TJ
    Anything special you're looking for? I'll keep an eye out.

Andrew