Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LE Wilson chamber type dies

BW64

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Yeah it even says on the instructions that the die may need to be honed a little. Are you shooting a savage or a remmy?

Rem. 700 SPS 26" tube.

BW

LongRange
    I eather have a slightly larger chamber or a slightly small die...ill call LEW in the morning and send them a few pieces of brass and the die and have them open it up a little. I did play with it a little with some of the brass that fit and it seats within .000 to .000.5 run out and my redding die seats from .000 to .002 so thats an improvement. I actually dont even check runout any more for 2 resasons..1 i never seen any difference from when i did check and now and 2 i was using a hornady concentricity gauge when i was checking and found when i adjusted the run out it was changing the seating depth and or the neck tension and it caused me a lot of frustration and wasted time. I know the hornady isnt the best tool for this and yes i tried all different setting on the tip. My accuracy/consistency and repeatability improved when i stopped worrying about run out...if i was a BR shooter and or getting paid to shoot i might be a little more concerned but for the types of shooting i do ive just never seen a big enough difference to justify it.

LongRange
    Well i played around with the die and the press this morning as i had to bump shoulders back a little after i put my new PTG bolt body and bolt head in last week. Both work very well but they DO NOT like compressed loads. I seated 10 rounds that were not compressed and all 10 seated exactly where i had the die set. When i started getting to the compressed loads the head on the press would slide up before the bullet seated but i figured this as i read the arbor press dont do well with compressed loads.

I still need to send the die in and have it opened up a bit,i did talk to LEW about it and they said ill have the die back in a week tops so ill send it out next week if i have time.

BW64
    Had our monthly 1000 yard shoot yesterday at BRPC. I lasted through 3 rounds of head to head then a guy cold bored me in the fourth. Oh well next month. LOL Had a good time. End of year party with burgers & dogs. They gave away a $2500 rifle at the end. Nice prize!!

BW

LongRange
    Yeah i need to step my game up next year...i shot an 11 at the last varmint match of the year but made up for it the following sunday when i shot a 567 in the 600yd open F...im going to do the 1000yd open F next year...im going to shoot my 300wm in one...they should enjoy the JP enterprise recoil eleminator with a high pressure load on the line lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12