Thread: stuck my first case

Basic Member

stuck my first case

went to my unheated shop to resize a few 3000 wsm cases. weather has been above freezing this week, checked my lee lube and it was in a liquid state compared to a solid block of ice the week before. put some lube on a piece of rag and lubed up a case and resized . routine of lube and resize and low and behold case # 8 got stuck. I guess after the cycles of freeze and thaw the lube had separated from the other liquids . lets see if i'm smart enough to keep my lube in the house in the future.

That sucks I definitely don't have to deal with that here in FL, but you don't get the fun of our humidity.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    Congrats, been there, done that. Speaking in reference to the stuck case.
    Like others I live in an area that may freeze 3 times a year so not a big problem, how ever remembering to apply enough lube......

Basic Member
    after 35 yrs of reloading and never forgetting to lube a case I now own a stuck case remover.

44magleo
    Good luck with that. I stuck a 270 Win in a Lyman die years ago. The case puller just ripped out of the head. Sent the die back to Lyman and they sent me a new die. Leo

seanhagerty
    Shake the lee lube, I think I had this same problem once and it mixed right back together.

Have you tried Imperial Wax ? I have used it for about 10 years and never had any trouble, although my shop is heated.

Corey Schwanz
    Not a great help because my reloading area is heated too (spare bedroom in the house) but I use the Imperial too. Can't imagine the weather effecting it to the point of not working.

D.ID
    I hope the 3000wsm is bigger than the 300wsm.
    Oddly enough even without freezing temps at the loading stations every stuck case I have ever had was a 300wsm.
    Rimless 300 wsm around hear some where still permanently install in a die from years ago because at the time I didn't know how to get one out. P.S. Vise grips ripping the bottom of the case off is not the way.
    Bought my first stuck case removing set while learning hornady spray lube should not be used wet.
    Bought my next one when I accidently ran a wsm case into a 7.62x54r die and couldn't find the removal set.
    Made my next one when a wsm got stuck trying to use a flexing cheap press as a hand press at the range.........etc, etc.
    I honestly do not think in the thousands of loads I have done in a dozen calibers that I have ever once got a case stuck that didn't say winchester 300 WSM on the base.

congrates
    Im almost positive you,ll keep the lube at a warmer temp next go around. I know I have.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

clovishound
    I've noticed mine has a tendency to separate, even when it is not subjected to freezing temps. A good shake puts everything back into suspension.

gotcha
    I stuck my Case last week. It took my neighbors John Deere and a fifth of Old Grandad to get it out. Merry Christmas!!

Basic Member
    dont feel bad, since '75 i have stuck 2 cases. bought an rcbs "stuck case remover" with the first one and it was handy on the 2nd one also. no need to worry about freezing here either. good luck!

Bruce

stuck my first case

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    Bought my first stuck case removing set while learning hornady spray lube should not be used wet.
    We share this my friend.
    I'd bet Hornady spray lube has resurrected the sales figures for stuck case removers. I use Imperial wax now and won't be going back.