Thread: Scope Mounting Question?

evangorp

Scope Mounting Question?

So I mounted my SS scope on my 11VT tonight, and I just want opinions on if the scope is too high? I'm afraid if I go any lower the bolt handle will rub on the scope. Would a triad stock pack help bring up the cheek weld to help with this situation?

evangorp
    Here's a picture of the bolt handle!

Basic Member
    Too high. I would want the scope as low as possible, just off the barrel. Cheek weld is only 1 consideration. The other is the affects on bullet trajectory and the worsening affects of any cant you might introduce when firing. Nice scope mounted unnecessarily high on a nice rifle. And, there's no advantage to the high mount, only potential problems. If it were me, I'd get lower mounts.

IF the bolt handle rubs, get a different handle. I have never had that problem with my SS's, and I mount them low.

evangorp
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Too high. I would want the scope as low as possible, just off the barrel. Cheek weld is only 1 consideration. The other is the affects on bullet trajectory and the worsening affects of any cant you might introduce when firing. Nice scope mounted unnecessarily high on a nice rifle. And, there's no advantage to the high mount, only potential problems. If it were me, I'd get lower mounts.

IF the bolt handle rubs, get a different handle. I have never had that problem with my SS's, and I mount them low.
    These mounts are weaver highs, would mediums bring it down enough or should I go low's? Do the aftermarket bolt handles angle down more? I am unfamiliar with what is out there! New to this form of shooting, but excited to learn!

Basic Member
    1. Measure your current clearance from the bottom of the scope to the top of barrel.
    2. Compare the ring heights from Weaver.
    3. If the difference in ring height for the Highs and lows are less than the current gap between scope and barrel, go with low. Otherwise, go medium.

I don't think the bolt handle will hit the scope if lowered. It might leave too little room for comfort of your fingers/hand. If so, use the palm of your open hand to operate the bolt. A longer bolt handle will allow easier bolt lift due to increased leverage. It will also move the end of the handle beyond the outer edgeof the scope so it may be "grabbed" without pinching fingers.

evangorp
    Are the weaver mounts ok, or should I look for a scope rail?

Basic Member
    Weaver mounts are likely to be okay, as long as they are not $5 mounts. I don't know about them, though. A rail is nice because it allows you to place scope anywhere forward or back as necessary for your eye relief needs. (Sometimes it is hard to make 2 piece mounts fit shorter scopes on a long action. Yours is a short action, though, so you may be alright regardless. ) If you didn't already have 2 piece mounts, I'd suggest a rail. As it is, don't worry about it if the bases are of decent quality.

AveragEd
    I just installed a Leupold 6.5-20x 49mm AO VX-3 target scope on my 12BVSS in Leupold bases and medium dual-dovetail rings. The objective lens just clears the barrel and the bolt handle clears the ocular lens with room to spare.

Ed

evangorp
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Weaver mounts are likely to be okay, as long as they are not $5 mounts. I don't know about them, though. A rail is nice because it allows you to place scope anywhere forward or back as necessary for your eye relief needs. (Sometimes it is hard to make 2 piece mounts fit shorter scopes on a long action. Yours is a short action, though, so you may be alright regardless. ) If you didn't already have 2 piece mounts, I'd suggest a rail. As it is, don't worry about it if the bases are of decent quality.
    Yeah the mounts I have came with the gun so I am sure they aren't' more than $5 each, I will probably see what rails I can get locally

Basic Member
    EGW are fairly inexpensive and very popular here. Get Picatinney style, rather than weaver style. Picatinney has slightly wider slots, allows for either type of mounts

evangorp
    So my inner mathematical nerd came out and I did some calculating to determine the height of ring to look at, please look at my math and see if it makes sense!

1"=25.4mm
    EGW Rail=.4" or 10.16mm
    OD of objective on SS scope= 49.5mm

So here's the math:
    49.5/2=24.75mm(center of scope), add 3mm for lens cover and you get 27.75, subtract the 10.16mm for the height of the rail and that leaves you with 17.59mm or .693"

Meaning I need to find a scope with a center height of .693", most don't go down this low, so far the best combo I can find for this setup would be Burris Medium Zee Rings at .78"

Does this make sense or am I computing incorrectly, I think this may be as low as I can feasibly get it. This should set it roughly 5.2mm off the barrel, right now it is sitting 12mm off the barrel!

Edit:
    The more I calculate the more I confuse myself if I stay with weaver mounts and go Burris it would drop the scope, 4.72mm, but if I drop the rings and increase the thickness of the base by 5mm, it would be a wash. The weaver mounts are half as thick as the egw rail?????? I think my problem is I am not factoring for the barrel not being the same height as the action, it drops away.
    Last edited by evangorp; 11-25-2014 at 10:40 PM. Reason: added an edit

Basic Member
    LOL I always get confused trying to figure that garbage out. Ain't worth it. Buy an EGW picatinny rail and quality low rings. If the scope hits the barrel when installed, return them and get the next higher size.

evangorp
    Thats what I am starting to think, or take the darn thing to Sportsmans Warehouse and have them open packages until I find one I like! That would make them happy

Basic Member
    How is the eye relief the way it is currently mounted?

evangorp
    From checking it last night it seems to be set right, need to check it outside sometime this weekend to see if I need to move it back.

Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    Are the weaver mounts ok, or should I look for a scope rail?
    I use weaver rings just like yours, never any problems with them.
    As for the mounts, I personally like the weaver or EGW rails better.

I'd try lower rings, you have lots of room to drop the scope a bit.
    I'd look at mediums with the factory mounts.
    A rail and low rings is usually a safe bet, clears my varmint barrel and 50mm scope with reg and 20 MOA rail.
    Last edited by Steelhead; 11-26-2014 at 12:05 AM.

evangorp
    Think I may try the TPS rail and the TPS Super Low rings, this combo would be $110 from Midway. Do you think this would work?

Basic Member
    I would ask if the Super Low rings can be returned for the low's if too low.

evangorp

Just thought I would post an update. After running multiple scenarios through calculators online I came to the conclusion that using the weaver mounts and using burris medium height zee rings, it would allow me to get the scope as low as possible. After putting the Butler scope caps on I have about 2.5mm clearance between the scope and the barrel! The bolt handle clears the eyepiece with 2mm to spare, no rubbing! Thanks for the guidance

Looks a LOT better!

[Glad you got it sorted out.

I personally gave up on 1 piece rails. They make the scope set too high and when you try to use low rings the objective wants to hit the front of the rail,especially on long actions.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I personally gave up on 1 piece rails. They make the scope set too high and when you try to use low rings the objective wants to hit the front of the rail,especially on long actions.
    I've cut the front portion of the rail off to allow clearance for the scope's bell / objective when using low rings.

Basic Member
    I use a Near Mfg. base and it is very low for a 1 piece base. It is 400 grade SS.