Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Axis Bullpup Build

daviscustom

Axis Bullpup Build

Thought I would get you guys caught up on this project. Started on this in late April, just working on it a little at a time. The finished product will be a suppressed bolt action bullpup rifle in 458 Socom, 26.5" long rifle only....about 37" with the suppressor. The intent is to be using it with 500+ grain cast bullets at subsonic velocities at ranges hopefully out to 400-500 yards. Don't have my Form 1 paperwork back yet from the BATFE so I haven't started on the can yet.

Started from scratch on the stock and I have been trying to do no external shaping of the stock that isn't needed to do the inletting. Trying to keep everything with flat sides as long as possible to make it easier to do the ruff machine work. Waiting till the end to do final shaping and to create panels to cover the cavities that house the trigger linkage.

Using a combination of hand and power tools...using small router and drill press to do as much as possible and then chisels and sanding to finish up.

I will just show a string of pics of the process along the way....feel free to ask questions or kick in ideas if you have any you think might be useful.

Last edited by daviscustom; 10-01-2013 at 10:24 PM.

daviscustom

daviscustom

daviscustom

mag opening unmodified

daviscustom

daviscustom

daviscustom

Basic Member
    I like where this build is going!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

daviscustom
    Here is the receiver after facing off the recoil lug notch on the front, and I added some grooves to the bolt knob.

Here is the trigger guard / grip mount I am working on.....manual mill and hand files so far.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    Now THIS is an Axis project.

I've been to 2 world's fairs & a cockfight & NEVER seen anything like this.

Very cool project. Very cool indeed.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Inebriated
    Maybe I missed it in your post, but WHERE DO I SEND MY MONEY FOR THIS!?

Looks like it's going to be an awesome project, for sure!

I know you're joking (thus no infractions) but don't make offers to buy or sell when posting outside of the classifieds.....it's against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by Inebriated View Post

I have a feeling this is going to be one of those "you can have it when you pry my cold dead fingers........" guns for me. I am trying to do everything right as I build it, cause I intend to have it to pass on to my kids. I just want to see if I can make it work good. Bullpup triggers are notoriously crappy, so the trigger linkage and then the ergonomics of the stock are my main focus at this point. I have a hard time wanting to get a manufacturing ffl with the country in flux the way it is right now. This is just a fun challenging project to hone my skills with at this point.

fgw_in_fla: It should be an awesome gator thumper.....you got any of them around?

daviscustom
    I would like to come up with an easy way to limit the rearward travel of the bolt when cycling the action. I think it would make it nicer cycling the bolt. The bolt only needs about 2/3 of it's travel to get to the back of the mag and grab the next round.

Thinking about just a stiff flat spring that would pop up behind the bolt lugs when you insert the bolt.....something that could be pushed down to remove the bolt.

Basic Member
    If you didn't/haven't taken the material off already you could leave a notch in the stock. If not maybe build it back up with some scrap pieces of the stock material behind the bolt area.

daviscustom
    Thinking about something right behind the mag, inside the receiver. The stock is too short for it to be at the back behind the bolt.....and it would have to be something that could be moved out of the way to remove the bolt.
    Last edited by daviscustom; 10-02-2013 at 05:05 PM.

Basic Member
    So is your intent for the Bolt Head to catch it? Trying to picture it right in my mind. Maybe a pin that you could knock out like the pins that hold the upper and lower together on an AR platform?

Would make for easy and repeatable installation!

sinman
    remove the factory bolt stop and put one on the side like custom remingtons, should be fairly easy to do and you could put it where ever you want it.

daviscustom
    Yes that is the idea. It could be a spring loaded plunger that went down into the stock I guess, but I would prefer it not to be visible to the casual observer.

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman View Post
    remove the factory bolt stop and put one on the side like custom remingtons, should be fairly easy to do and you could put it where ever you want it.
    You snuck in there while I was typing.....I'll have to look into that. It sucks that the stock is inletted for the bolt stop already.

Basic Member
    Nuisance gators are a plenty out on our land in the middle of the state. During mating season you can hear then calling.
    At night walking along the swamp area with a flashlight every once in a while there'll be a log with shiny eyes looking back at you.

Just got to be careful during the off season. You just never know when the conservation officer will be popping up but when you have one chomped down on your leg, there ain't no time to call the trapper.....

PS - I wouldn't use that rifle you're building. I'd be afraid to get it dirty.

daviscustom
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    PS - I wouldn't use that rifle you're building. I'd be afraid to get it dirty.
    I'm not building this rifle to baby it......just plain jane, straight grain, nice and stable quartersawn walnut. I will probably deer hunt with it....I want to see what it looks like when a deer gets hit by a Volkswagen.

Basic Member
    You have a good point.
    It would kinda sorta be like launching a beer can at your target.

Tall boy - not the shorties...

Basic Member
    Oh yeah.

I have been wanting to build a 16" barreled 308 to run a suppressor on but the bull pup is awesome!!!!! Excellent work!

Very interesting, one way to shorten bolt travel is to use front baffle which has 1/2'' leg on it, will have to grind the guide off, but this will only shorten travel 1/2''. Might make one to the size you need.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast