Thread: Reloading Inquiries??

evangorp

Reloading Inquiries??

Now that I purchased the gun, I am trying to decide if I want to get into reloading. I know there are not simple answers to my questions, and I am not looking for concrete answers, just looking for guidance on which way I should look while researching. I am strictly looking at reloading .223 for now, I have read the RCBS and Lee starter kits are good for starters, is this true or not? I am also curious as to what bullets, powders, primers, and brass others who reload for accuracy have had good luck with. If I purchase a press, I fully intend to read many reloading books, to get the charges right. I guess right now I am trying to decide if this is something I want to get into. Any insight into my questions would be greatly appreciated!

I started with RCBS kit and I am still happy with it. I use hornady V max 55 gr with good results. I truly love the OCD properties of reloading.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

evangorp
    Another question I just thought of is can you use pretty much any .223 brass or are there different levels? And how many reloads can one expect out of a casing?

Depends on how hot you load them, if you full length size everytime like needed for an AR, i use lake city 5.56 brass so I have to swag the primer pocket to remove the primer crimp the first time i load them. As far as how many loads for .223 per case I have yet to burn through a whole batch one of my sets of cases has 6 loads and I have 82 of the 100 cases left in that batch of cases. I have been kicking around buying a .223 bolt action since I already load it.

JTCrl
    What gun did you buy specifically and what twist does the barrel have?

If you're only shooting at paper that's one group of bullets, if you're shooting at critters that's another group.

RCBS, Hornady, Redding are all good and you can get reasonable deals on starter sets that have everything the beginner needs. Scheels and Cabelas along with others have them.

evangorp
    Quote Originally Posted by JTCrl View Post
    What gun did you buy specifically and what twist does the barrel have?

If you're only shooting at paper that's one group of bullets, if you're shooting at critters that's another group.

RCBS, Hornady, Redding are all good and you can get reasonable deals on starter sets that have everything the beginner needs. Scheels and Cabelas along with others have them.
    I purchased the 11vt from DSG, heavy barrel 1/9 twist. This gun will be used for punching paper as my intro into precision/long range shooting!

I bought the RCBS kit years ago and still use it. I load for way more calibers than I have time to shoot and have over the years added the charge master, the prep center and many many other do dads. You will not be sorry with one, plus your ammo will be much better than factory stuff.
    As for 223 you can pick it up at the range by the bucket usually.Clean , full length resize and stay under max loads and it will last a long time some of mine has 15-16 loads on it always cleaned and resized. As for the crimps get a swaging die (rcbs or similar makes the job easy on the hands and wrist).
    If the rifle is a 9 twist I suggest 60 or 63 gr. Sierra bullets, cci primers (small rifle) and IMR 4895 or IMR 4227 for powder.
    Any other questions just bring them here.We were typing at the same time but I will stick with my suggestion for bullets because mine dislikes the heavier ones, not a lot just enough for me not to use them.

PS if scope eye gives you loads deduct at least 10% otherwise you will only get 1-2 loads per case. .
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

JTCrl
    Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    I purchased the 11vt from DSG, heavy barrel 1/9 twist. This gun will be used for punching paper as my intro into precision/long range shooting!
    OK then, I would suggest finding some Lake City once-fired brass, a primer pocket uniformer and a swager. That combination will cost you less than 200 rounds of quality new brass and I've found it to perform as well as premium brass. Some I have fired over 20 times.

You can start out with a starter kit like this one:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/373...bs+starter+kit

Edit: Just noticed this does not include a case trimmer which will also be needed along with a caliper to measure cases as well as loaded rounds.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/817...ProductFinding

You'll be adding to it soon enough. First will be a set of dies. I suggest a mid-range set like this. They are capable of producing match grade cartridges. As you learn more you'll probably move up to a bushing re-sizing die but I wouldn't start there.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/305...ProductFinding

As for bullets I personally use mostly Berger target bullets. With your 9 twist you'll be able to shoot up to about 75gn bullets effectively. I'd recommend spending some time with the 55HP and 73HPBT.

As you mentioned, read, read, and read some more. Browse this forum along with others. Tops on my personal list is "The Book of Rifle Accuracy" by Tony Boyer but there are lots of others.

Oh yeah. Invest in a Rifle Basix Sav-2 trigger.
    Last edited by JTCrl; 11-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.