Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: nosler 260 remington brass review

LongRange

Quote Originally Posted by jerry shaw View Post
    That is sure a nice group.

Most of my .260 shooting has been done with Lapua 139's over VV N-150. I found them at Powder Valley and have been very satisfied. The gun likes those really well. Having said that, it has a Shilen stainless bull barrel. We used the Lapuas at the Midrange Prone match at Camp Perry last year where we shot from 300 to 600 yards on the F Class targets. Every dropped point was caused by the shooter.

I had trouble finding 140 AMAX bullets last year, so I didn't do a lot of experimentation with them. The little that I did do with these bullets was very satisfactory. 120 AMAX worked well too.
    ive shot the Amaxes in my 260 and my 300wm with no luck...i do shoot the 208g hornady BTHP in my 300 and it loves them....ive shot a lot of the 140g match hornadys with no luck until now. ive also shot 900 of the 139g lapuas and and around 700 of the 142g SMKs and my 260 loves both...my goal is to get the 140g horns to shoot as they are almost a $100 bucks cheaper per 1K.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    Nice shootin!
    I'm still impressed with the Hornady 140 bthp's and their advertised BC is very close, I use .285 and the gets me to subsonic range, have to see what the air does after that.
    In my barrel they shoot better than the Amax's.

With nosler 260 brass my H100V load with the bthp's was 41.5 and a CCI 200 primer at 2.850.
    have you chronyed this load? i really like the 100V as it burns very cool as does the H4350...i shoot 5 rounds with the slower burning powders and my barrel is warm at the muzzle...i shoot 10 rounds of 100v and the barrel is barely warm at the for-end of the stock and cool the rest of the way out to the muzzle.

LongRange
    i got out this morning and verified the 41g 100V load and chronyed it as well...it IS a good load and very repeatable...i wish it was going a little faster but im happy i finally have a load the 140g horns shoot with...i loaded up 5 at 40.8g,15 at 41g.5 at 41.2g and just .2g opened up the groups so 41g is the load.

this is the group i shot this morning...two things were different from yesterday to today...yesterday 0 wind...today(im guessing)2 to about 5MPH from left to right...i also blew the top off my lee collet die(i didnt think i was over camming that much)so i had to use my bushing die to size the necks and im thinking that is the cause of the 30FPS ES today but even with that the group is nice...

i also set a target out at 567yds to see if this load would hold together and it did...i wasnt shooting for groups i was shooting to see how pin point this load was at distance...i over doped the first shot but once i got dialed it was dead on....until the last couple of shots when my trigger developed a bunch of creep(i wish jewell would make triggers for savage)...the shots fired at the outside yellow squares were all shot after i got my dopes dialed and let the barrel cool and were shot 10mins apart...yes 50mins to shoot 5 rounds LOL....shots 5 thru 10 were shot at the outside targets...

Last edited by LongRange; 01-18-2015 at 03:43 PM.

LongRange
    also i know this thread has gone a little off track but i will say i like the nosler brass over all and it will hold up well even if shooting high pressure loads...i know a few of you guys had some bad nosler brass but i think ive read a bad review or two on EVERY brass made including lapua brass...is nosler as good as lapua? NO but id say its pretty close.
    now for the things i didnt like about the nosler brass....
    1-the price...about $110 for a 100pcs...i can buy lapua brass cheaper...$89 bucks per 100pcs
    2-the hundred pcs i bought at sportsman had short necks right out of the box...several were 2.005 COAL...i like to run mine at 2.025 to 2.030 and im not sure they will ever stretch that much...the longest piece before neck turning was 2.0165 but i had to trim them all to 2.011 to turn the necks.
    3-the necks are thin at .288 loaded neck size and fired neck is .297 so if using a bushing die the necks are really being worked and im pretty sure the doughnuts would return and this is the biggest reason i bought the lee collet die.

things i like about the nosler brass...
    1-its tough...if it with hold up to shooting a 142g bullet close to 3000FPS for 5 to 7 loads then IMHO it deserves a little respect
    2-a little more case capacity
    3-i found a good load for the hornadys with this brass LOL!

if your looking for good brass with just a little more capacity than the lapua then the nosler brass will fit that bill...i know remington brass has the most capacity and it will hold up if your not loading hot...i will continue to shoot this nosler brass until i put my new barrel on then ill switch back to the lapua as case capacity will not be a issue.im also pretty sure the current barrel will last most if not all of this years match season so ill shoot it until its done before changing it then have it set back.

I think they just had a small run of brass that wasn't up to snuff and that's what I got.
    Almost all the latest reports are solid.

Mine lost primer pockets fast with reply ugly mild loads.

I will say it was very good looking brass LOL!

LongRange
    well im still shooting the nosler brass and had a good day today after a little adjusting.....5 loads on this brass...
    1&2 are high 3-7 are adjusted...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234