Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: nosler 260 remington brass review

LongRange

nosler 260 remington brass review

Ive been going back and forth on buying nosler brass for my 260 like a woman shopping for shoes as ive read several bad reviews about the nosler brass not holding up well in the 260....I shoot nosler in my 300wm and really like it. I finally man'd up and bought a box from powder valley, now normally I buy at least 100 cases from the same lot but wanted to see if the brass was consistent before buying more. Out of the box the 50pcs of brass weighed with in 1.1g 180.4 to 181.5, neck wall thickness measured with calipers at 4 points measured .014 with only 2 cases measureing .014.5 at 1 point. Neck tension and OAL were all over the map but not a big deal as I fully prep all my brass anyway. Needless to say I was impressed so I went to buy another box from PV but noticed sportsman had some in stock so I ran into town and bought a box thinking there wont be a huge difference...WRONG!!...I got home and started weighing the box from sportsman and the difference from one lot to the next was 13 grains...but the box from sportsman was very consistent as well with the same 1.1g difference from 166.3 to 167.4g. Well I cant shoot brass with a 13g difference in weight so I went back to sportsman and got another box from the same lot and it weighed 166.2 to 167.4g for a difference of 1.2 grains out of 100 cases which is perfectly acceptable for me...the lapua brass ive been shooting isnt that close, out of the box the lapua brass had a 2g difference in weight.
    Once again the neck tenison is all over the map on the cases from sportsman and the OAL is short 2.014 but the neck walls are all .014.
    I havent shot any of this brass yet but will report back after i do and again after i have a few loads on it but so far im very impressed by the consistency.

Basic Member
    Have you considered comparing water capacity instead of weight?

LongRange
    Yes and will this week but im thinking if they are that close in weight that they will have similar case capacities as well. I already loaded the heavier cases from PV and can say the capacity compared the the lapua is a huge plus, in the lapua brass 45g of H4831sc was about mid neck full and H1000 the case was full at about 47g with the nosler brass 47g(1g over book max for effect)H4831sc is just at the bottom of the neck and a max charge of H1000 is about mid neck at 50g. I will check the heavier cases against the lighter cases with water this weekend after I shoot them and report back.
    Im just hoping they hold up as well as the nosler i shoot in my 300.

Basic Member
    Been runnung Nosler brasa in my 308 with great succes. Aldo using their 25-06 necked up to to 6.5-06 and its ran well so far.

LongRange
    Thats good to hear thanks LoneWolf.

I started out with a box of 50 just to try the stuff in .260. These were trial loads and not hot either. I went home after shooting to start reloading and lost 13 cases to loose primer pockets. So out I went again and shot most of the box I reloaded and this time lost 3 more. They are on there 5 th reloading and I have less than 25 cases that comfortably hold primers without leakage. I switched to plain old Remington and so far after several reloadings have not lost any. I am now going to try lapua to see how they last.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    I started out with a box of 50 just to try the stuff in .260. These were trial loads and not hot either. I went home after shooting to start reloading and lost 13 cases to loose primer pockets. So out I went again and shot most of the box I reloaded and this time lost 3 more. They are on there 5 th reloading and I have less than 25 cases that comfortably hold primers without leakage. I switched to plain old Remington and so far after several reloadings have not lost any. I am now going to try lapua to see how they last.
    this is what makes me leary about them as ive read a lot of reviews like yours...do you remember how long ago you bought the nosler brass?
    as far as longevity the lapua brass wins hands down...i have at least 12 loads on the lapua brass im shooting and primer pockets are still tight the only down side is the case capacity of the lapua with slower burning powders.

I previously ran two different lots of Nosler 260 brass, and did not have any of the oft-reported issues of super weak primer pockets. In fact, I lost as many primer pockets using Lapua 260 brass as I did Nosler 260 brass...so hot-rodding is gonna cost you regardless.

Run a 140 with 43ish grains of H4350 (or less) and either will last pretty well.

First off I wasn't hot rodding and I bought the stuff about 2 years ago it seems. Just like older norma used to be soft but they changed their mixture and solved the problem in the last year or so. Norma is tougher now and a lot of the 6ppc users like it when they wouldn't use it years ago.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

LongRange
    [QUOT=jonbearman;290816]First off I wasn't hot rodding and I bought the stuff about 2 years ago it seems. Just like older norma used to be soft but they changed their mixture and solved the problem in the last year or so. Norma is tougher now and a lot of the 6ppc users like it when they wouldn't use it years ago.[/QUOTE]

That is about the time frame of the reviews ive read about the nosler brass being soft but then again ive read the same thing about just about ever brass at some point being soft or not up to par for some reason or another. Ive had great luck with nosler brass in my 300wm and have hot rodded it at times lol. I have 150 260 nosler cases and im going to keep 100 of them with mild charges for matches next year the other 50 I think I will work up some hot loads and shoot them for plinking and pratice to see how they hold up.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Have you considered comparing water capacity instead of weight?

Good call here foxx...I doubt I would of checked water capacity with a 15+g difference in case weight if you hadnt brought it up and peaked my interest to see if they were close in capacity so I have to say thanks foxx.

I pulled a bullet on 1 case that weighed 181g and dumped the powder I then primed a case that weighed 166.3g tonight and weighed with water to the top of the neck...the case that weighed 181g has a case capacity of 53.1g the case that weighed 166.3g has a case capacity of 52.9-53g...my scale wouldnt settle it kept going back and forth between the 2 numbers so needless to say I am that much more impressed with this brass. Like I said I will abuse 50 of these cases just to see how well they hold up and report back as I go.

Basic Member
    Cool.
    I bought some Nosler 25-06 when no one else had any.
    The cost irked me, to say the least. They performed very well, though.
    I have only fired them 2x, so I can't comment yet on longevity.

The first brass I bought for my 260 was Nosler, I wasn't very happy with it, primer pockets gave way on some cases after first loading(well within book data) and none went past 5.
    I'm using win 243 brass now with a stiff charge of H4350 and I've got cases with 10+ shots and they're primer pockets are still GTG.
    I may try lapua if I can't find any more Win 243 or 7-08 cases before my current stock goes away.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    The first brass I bought for my 260 was Nosler, I wasn't very happy with it, primer pockets gave way on some cases after first loading(well within book data) and none went past 5.
    I'm using win 243 brass now with a stiff charge of H4350 and I've got cases with 10+ shots and they're primer pockets are still GTG.
    I may try lapua if I can't find any more Win 243 or 7-08 cases before my current stock goes away.
    just keep in mind that the lapua brass is probable the best made but you give up a lot of case capacity with it...id have to look back in my load data but i think at 41g of IMR4350 and a 142g SMK i was getting slightly compressed loads but then again the free bore in my barrel is pretty short.

LongRange
    went out yesterday and fire formed 100 of the 150 cases. I ran 50 of them pretty hot and the primer pockets are just as tight as the first time, I will keep loading those 50 cases hot and see how many loads I get out of them. I have some IMR7828 and some 140g nosler CCs and have never had much luck with either but have never combined the two until yeserday. I used these to rezero my scope and just to fire form the new brass. I weighed out 10 rounds to get the lee perfect powder measurer to where it was dropping pretty close to 43.5g then loaded the other 40 right out of the LPPM. I shot 4 10 shot groups that were all about this size...keep in mine these were shot off a bipod and a welding glove as rear support and loaded straight out of the LPPM..the yellow is 2".

LongRange
    I just got back from fire forming the last 50pcs of brass and may have stumbled upon a good load with primers powder and bullets I havent had much luck with until putting the three together. I almost didnt go out as we have weather coming in so its pretty windy here...was blowing 5mph and gusting to about 20mph when I shot. I bumped the charge up to 44g IMR7828sc and weighed out all 50 charges and shot off the bipod and my home made rear bag(a sock full of rice lol)to see how they would shoot and must say im pretty happy considering the wind and im thinking will shoot some tight groups with a little fine tuning.
    Last edited by LongRange; 11-28-2014 at 04:41 PM.

LongRange
    Also the 50pcs I got from powder valley the loaded neck is .293 and the loaded neck size on the 100pcs I got from sportsman are .288 so I had to order neck bushings for the 100 that are .288. Im also assuming the weight difference is because the 100pcs from sportsman are thinner. Also at this point im thinking the primer pockets will out live the necks on these 100pcs as the fired neck size is .296 so it looks like these will be annealed minimum of every 3xs fired maybe 2xs.

Basic Member
    Ran the 6.5-96 again today. Just under half MOA at 100 and shot a Mil'd group at 890 that was estimated to be about 5" vertical and only 2-3" left to right. But I can't wait for my new 243 barrel still

LongRange
    Good shooting lonewolf...im still trying to deside if im going to re barrel with a CBI match or another shilen select match...this shilen flat out shoots so im leaning more toward shilen. Is the new 243 going to be AI?

Basic Member
    Keeping it standard. Running a 27" barrel throated long for 115 VLDs and DTACs but will give the 105 match hybrids a run too. Should get the 115s to 3100 pretty easily.

LongRange
    Thats moving...theres a guy at our matches that shoots a 243AI and the 115s and says they are running a little over 3100...all I know for sure is that you can tell its high pressure when he sends one down range lol.

LongRange
    So yesterday the wind was howling all day but today was what I call a perfect day for load development...cool no wind and over cast... so I got out and shot 50 rounds with the 50pcs of brass I plan to abuse to see how how many loads I can get out of it....I ran the 4831 up to 47g but up from 46g every thing opened up so ill stick to 46g and play with seating depth as it shot well as you can see...I either pulled the last shot or the seating depth was off as I had a few of these loads seat a little deeper than I wanted but didnt feel like pulling and reseating but I should have makered them. All the 4831 loads were compressed and with compressed loads I normally neck size .001 less than loaded neck size and clean the insides of the necks with a brass brush.
    The 4350 i ran up to 44g and will go up a little more as i had zero pressure signs and they started to tighten up again at 44g.
    For everyone reading this PLEASE WORK UP YOUR OWN LOADS AND DO NOT START AT THESE NUMBERS AS THEY ARE COMPRESSED AND COULD CAUSE A CATASTROPHIC FAILURE IN YOUR RIFFLE!!!

LongRange
    Also as I said in this thread I have a few things im working on to improve my shooting. One is trigger pull...I dont jerk the trigger but am working on my follow through and have pretty much got that down. The other thing is my position which im about done trying to change as it just dont work for me but ive been told by several good shooters that I need to be directly behind and inline with my riffle but just can not shoot like that as it is not comfortable for me. I have always shot prone at about 80* to the left of my riffle...in other words my body is off to the left a little. Anyways as I started shooting the first group of the 4350 I thought about it and got in line with the riffle and you can see above the out come of that...the first 3 shots were in my normal position the last two were shot in line with the riffle and the rest of the 4350 was shot inline and all groups were bad so needless to say im done with the inline thing, ill stick to my odd position behind my riffle. 43g to 44g imr4350 showed promise ill shoot it again and up to see where it goes.

As far as the brass goes it seems to be holding up well but its still early but ill keep this updated as I shoot.

One other thing, ive never shot a bench rest primer but ive had my best results with CCIs and seen a box of the BR2s at sportsman when i bought the brass so i grabbed them just to see what all the fuss was about with BR primers. Im still not sure as ive only shot 50 of them and have not cronyd any but they seem like great primers so far, the crony will tell if they are more consistant or not.
    Last edited by LongRange; 11-30-2014 at 06:35 PM.

LongRange, could you explain how you have used the welding glove? I'm just curious LOL.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

LongRange
    Most of my shooting is done prone and in our long range varmint matches your not allowed rear support other than your hand or a glove...my bare hand isnt quite enough so ive found a padded welding glove is perfect. The only time I use any artificial rear support is during load development and once confirmed the load is good its back to the glove...and my rear support during LD is a sock full of rice. I dont shoot bench rest so I dont allow myself to get use to shooting off bags 99% of its done off a harris bipod and the glove.
    Last edited by LongRange; 12-01-2014 at 10:33 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast