Thread: 6.5Creed Hunting loads?

Robert91RS

6.5Creed Hunting loads?

I've been a lurker for some time and after doing a fair amount of research and reading I bought my first Savage. I took delivery of a model 10 Predator Max in 6.5 Creedmoor last week and last night I found a Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 for a price I couldn't pass up. My intended purpose for this rifle is Deer, Hog and paper punching and I can't wait to get the barrel warm.

To get me started I bought a few boxes of Superformance 129gr SST but next year when I get some dies and powder I'll want to see what she's really capable of. I would like to find a bullet that can meet all my needs and would love to hear what you folks have had the best luck with. I realize some are using the AMAX and SST for critters but would prefer to use something a little more consistent and less explosive. While looking through Midways selection I came across a Nosler Accubond Long Range 129gr that's "coming soon". It shows a B.C. of 561 and looks promising. Other top contenders are the Hornady InterBond/InterLock and the Barnes TSX line but neither show the BC of the Nosler.

Here's a cell phone pic of the rifle and scope mounted on Warne bases and low rings for those interested.

MZ5 used a 120gr Hot Cor on a Coues Deer last year with good results. I used a 140gr Custom Comp on my Mule deer up here this year, with good results.

Personally I despise any tipped bullet, when used in a rifle that actually produces velocity. The whole notion of the tip is to extend the operational velocity lower, meaning POP!! at high velocity. I'm not big on wasting meat, I'm big on meat and gravy :)
    High BC bullets are very sexy, but really don't mean squat for normal hunting distances. Just pick yourself something that will group tightly, and kill away!!

.....and post pictures.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Robert91RS
    Thank you darkker. I agree about tipped bullets but it sure would be nice to find one bullet for shooting grasshoppers and deer rather then split the ammo fund on target and hunting loads. That's really what makes the Accubond Long Range look appealing since it claims to only need 1300fps to open but will supposedly stay together at closer ranges and higher velocities too. (the Nosler sales pitch is here http://www.nosler.com/accubond-long-range-bullet/ ) I will look at the two you mentioned sir, thanks again.

Basic Member
    I have very good results with 140 gr Berger Hunting VLD's,and 140 gr Sierra Gamekings.

Robert91RS
    I did some digging for reviews on the Accubond LR and it appears to suffer from the usual disintegration at high velocity/close range despite what Nosler claims. I did however find some positive reviews and info on the Swift Scirocco 2 bullets. They appear much tougher and still have a .571 BC on the 130gr. Weight retention seems far superior to the Accubonds and Interlocks but still seems to open well at Creed velocities.

@Txhillbilly- what kind of meat damage and penetration have you experienced with the VLD's?

Here is my Custom Comp exit hole at the leading edge of the shoulder, from a neck shot.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I shoot the 129sst in my CM and shot a doe the other day. Went thru both shoulders with little damage at 140 yards. My sister also shoots 129 SST in her lady hunter and has killed 3 this year with good results.

Basic Member
    I shoot Nosler Accubonds in every hunting rifle i own from .243,25-06,280 Ackley and 300WSM and 300WinMag. They have yet to fail me in any way. These are not the LR's just the regular
    accubond. The BC is great and they stay together just fine.

My choice was to simplify........and it was a good one. Sometimes it's better not to overthink this stuff.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Why not try the proven, old school Hornady 129 SP flat base interlock. May not be as sexy as those tipped boat tail newcomers, but it works on everything from grasshoppers to caribou and red stag.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TaxedinMaine View Post
    Why not try the proven, old school Hornady 129 SP flat base interlock. May not be as sexy as those tipped boat tail newcomers, but it works on everything from grasshoppers to caribou and red stag.
    Worst pressure issues i ever had was with interlocks in a 300 weatherby. You couldn't get me to shoot them again if you gave me the factory. In fact come to think of it i have never had much luck with ANY Hornady bullets.
    There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those who can do math and those who can't

Robert91RS
    I took it to the range this weekend to get the barrel broken in and the scope sighted and I'm very please with the gun. My favorite gun range only has a 100yrd max but I had a lot of fun. I was working with factory Superformance 129SSTs and a box of 140 AMAXs. I'm certainly a novice at best but still managed at least one sub MOA group with the SSTs and feel confident it will improve as my skills do and once I start reloading. I got my hands on some H4350 and next I'll order some dies and an assortment of bullets to find what my gun likes.

Basic Member
    140 gr berger vld hunting bullets loaded .01-.02 off the lands pushed by 41-42.5gr of H4350 should end up around 2800-2850 fps and a devastating hunting load for long range use if needed.

Factory a max work too but aren't the most accurate any longer.

Took a doe and a buck this year with my CM.

Basic Member
    If your rifle will group 'em, the old 140 Sierra Gameking is hard to beat. One tough hombre on deer. I hunt a lot of medium range deer around THICK cutovers and have never had to worry about a blood trail in that thick @#$%. 'Course that 140 Berger VLD will deliver the mail with game and paper, but if you want to eat right up to the bullet hole, well, it's like a mini version of the M67's I use to chunk.
    "Do you trust the government?" If the answer is 'Yes,' you can accurately surmise they don't understand the original intent of the 2nd Amendment.

Basic Member
    Dead is dead shoot what you have confidence in

Basic Member
    I agree with old medic, I don't personally own a 6.5CM, but the sierra gameking has probably taken more game over the years than all the others manufacturers combined.
    It's "old school" but they work and their cheap. I don't know how many times I've herd "if your gun won't shoot sierras get a new gun". They are very proven for accuracy and game.
    I'm not saying their the "worlds greatest" hunting bullets, but definately worth a look and they make a 120 prohunter and a 130 & 140 gameking in 6.5