Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDT Chasis Stock

JRaider

MDT Chasis Stock

Hey guys if anyone is interested it looks like MDT will have a chasis stock available in 4-6 weeks for the Axis. I emailed them in regards to if they were going to make one for the Axis and found out better news of one almost ready for sales. Just wanted to pass this along (sorry if it's old news).

Going to pick up another Axis in 308 today now.

If they come up with 10 round mags to go with it that would be great.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Waaaat??? Dang.

Too bad it's going to cost twice what my rifle did.

Basic Member
    Ah, they are sure proud of them.

JRaider
    MDT is taking pre-orders for the LSS Chasis. I ran into some money tree issues so I gotta wait a bit but definitely will be buying one.

CarolinaShooter
    Almost makes me wish I waited.

Basic Member
    any mention of one for the lefty folks? I've been toying around with the idea of getting an axis for a hunting rig.

JRaider
    Haven't heard anything on the left setup but know they are working on a few lefties so could be.

Basic Member
    daddyusmaximus they are going to fit with AICS mags and they are also going to be producing their own mags as well.

http://mdttac.com/lss-chassis-for-savage.html

Jay24bal
    Anyone order one or have seen one yet?

I plan to pick one up for a conversion I am doing (243 to 6.5 Creedmor) and wondering if anyone has first hand experience yet?

The LSS is designed for short barrels. Not good for a bipoded long barrel rifle in say long range competition. The HS3 length forend would be NICE.

Basic Member
    I have LSS for Stevens 200...I like the chassis as it's light on my 223...I haven't replaced the 22" factory barrel, but when I do I'm getting a 16" barrel threaded 5/8x24 for my TBAC suppressor. I might pick up their folding mechanism down the line.

Jay24bal
    Yeah, being designed for shorter barrels is the only thing I am concerned about. On their website, they say guns designed for shooting 900 meters would be better suited for a different chassis.

I am planning on a 24"-26" barrel, thoughts on if this would be too long for the LSS? Anyone have the MDT for a different gun with a "normal" barrel length?

Edit: I just went back to MDT's site, and they have the Axis short action listed as "coming soon" in the HS3 chassis, maybe I will hold off for that to be available. Nothing like dropping a $500 chassis onto a gun I paid $179 for...
    Last edited by Jay24bal; 03-26-2015 at 08:46 AM.

Basic Member
    It looks like all of the MDT Chassis Systems are slated to come out with an option that fits the Axis (other than TAC21). I'd like to find a used .243 action and bolt and build something up on one of these systems. Could be a good shooter I think.

Jay24bal
    That is exactly what I am doing; turning a 243 into a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    That's awesome. Be sure to post pics when you finish up. Are you going with the LSS? Or waiting until one of the others becomes available?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay24bal View Post
    Yeah, being designed for shorter barrels is the only thing I am concerned about. On their website, they say guns designed for shooting 900 meters would be better suited for a different chassis.

I am planning on a 24"-26" barrel, thoughts on if this would be too long for the LSS? Anyone have the MDT for a different gun with a "normal" barrel length?

Edit: I just went back to MDT's site, and they have the Axis short action listed as "coming soon" in the HS3 chassis, maybe I will hold off for that to be available. Nothing like dropping a $500 chassis onto a gun I paid $179 for...
    Just fyi, looks like they've come out with a longer LSS-XL chassis that might fit the bill for you.

Jay24bal
    Quote Originally Posted by jknox1030 View Post
    That's awesome. Be sure to post pics when you finish up. Are you going with the LSS? Or waiting until one of the others becomes available?
    I certainly will, but it will most likely be a little while before it is finished.

I plan to wait for the HS3 to be available for the Axis, and $$ will also be an issue. All-in (including glass) I am looking at about $2,400. My wife and I are also having our first child any day now, so I have a feeling that free time and free $$ will not be as abundant as it has been up until now in my life...

So far, all I have is the Axis in .243 Win, so I need to still acquire the chassis, buttstock, barrel, trigger, bipod, mags, base, rings, and glass.

A couple months ago a local chain near me has Axis in 243 on sale for $179, I could not pass it up and bought two (my 4th and 5th Axis). I am leaving one as a 243, and the other one is becoming this project.

Basic Member
    that is pretty much verbatim where I am. Congrats on your first kid. We are also waiting (July 25) on our first!

That sounds like a heck of a deal on the 243 for $179. That would be too hard to pass up. But I will say the MDT Chassis systems are making the Axis a much more intriguing build. I currently have a 30-06 that I have done some work to, but no where near the shooter that a smaller, flatter-shooting 243. I was also thinking about the HS3 system. Have you determined your butt-stock yet? there are many good options out there.

BOB LONG FTW
    Anyone have pictures of the axis in the chassis yet? Really considering picking one up but want to see what it looks like mounted in there first.

Jay24bal
    I do not.

I am am waiting on the LSS-XL to become available for the Axis, and it is not yet available for purchase.

I may have missed it, but why would longer-range guns need a chassis that isn't the LSS? Is it a balance issue with the longer barrel?

That's the reason I don't like the LSS. Well, not for my match rifle that has a 26" barrel. The XL version would be great though. I'm considering the LSS for my 308 though, as it's going to be rebarreled to an 18" gun. LSS with a folder and I could take that little dude anywhere. lol

Basic Member
    Not to revive an old thread (its only three months old) but has anyone purchased the LSS? I have an Axis HB in 308, and this keeps running through my idea stream. Luckily I dont have enough disposable income to make it an impulse buy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast