Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 140 AMAX Scare!

Basic Member

Last lot of amax was consistent within its lot. This lot of amax varies a bit more but is consistant within its lot. The lots however were .030 off from each other.

The amax were sent back to distributer. They will be exchanged for 142 smk. Thank you to all who replied
    Last edited by hafejd30; 11-26-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simplerider View Post
    Once had some 9mm that wouldn't chamber in my pistol all the way. When I went back to my bench I measured and remeasured and found several rounds were longer than what should have been. I drove my self crazy checking differences in lot numbers and measuring chamber. Turns out my seating die had come loose in the press and backed out ever so slightly, but just enough to give that extra length.

Check your dies for any loosening. Just a thought.

Good Luck.
    Measure every round after seating. No die movement. The oal measured and remained consistent. Only this time it was .030 different than last lot when contacting lands

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Last lot of amax was consistent within its lot. This lot of amax varies a bit more but is consistant within its lot. The lots however were .030 off from each other.

The amax were sent back to distributer. They will be exchanged for 142 smk. Thank you to all who replied
    You will be much happier with the SMKs...after you shoot them post up your thoughts if you dont mind im interested to hear your thoughts compared to the amaxes.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    If everything else is constant--that's the only possibility I can think of.
    I agree...gotta be something with the bullets tip to ogive or ogive shape.

Basic Member
    It's good the distributor is replacing them, but it is not good that it ever happened. Did Hornady have any explanation? I wonder which batch was "wrong"? Still seems unbelievable.

Basic Member
    I will contact Hornady. I have the open box yet with lot number on it. Back to work now so I don't have time to mess with it yet.

I have done a bit of shooting with the 140 smk. Made a couple shots on 16 oz mtn dew cans at 1087 yds with them. The 142 should perform better yet.

I have had the same experience with A-Max's. Infact, I have a few boxes I will probably sell you. SMK's are doing great even to my surprise.

LongRange
    Dennis you say the smks are doing great to your surprise? Have you had issues with the smks?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hafejd30 View Post
    Has anyone seen this big of a difference in bullet lot numbers?.

Not only in lot numbers but bullets in the same box-lot.

In another post I mentioned I opened a new box of 6.5-120 Nosler BTs. About half of them measured .570" ogive to heel, the rest .583" to .586". Some manufactures will tell you they don't mix bullets made on different machines-dies but I don't buy it. If that were true they would have been at least somewhere close a consistent length.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I'm having a little trouble envisioning this--the length variation from the beginning of the ogive to tip strikes me as not so critical--but from where the beginning of the secant curve from 264 diameter and length to base would be--is that what we're talking about here?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm having a little trouble envisioning this--the length variation from the beginning of the ogive to tip strikes me as not so critical--but from where the beginning of the secant curve from 264 diameter and length to base would be--is that what we're talking about here?

Correct. Base to ogive behind the actual tip

Basic Member
    You can't measure them off the tip and or the base, both can vary a few thousandths. I use a bushing on the ogive .002" under the shank diameter and another on the heel to eliminate any inconsistencies of the base in the measurement.

In the case of those BTs, the ogive placement was between .570" and .586", the longer ones having .016" longer bearing surface. Its one of those "many brain bucket scratches when old Betsey shot well before but went by the way of the hand basket the next.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Dennis you say the smks are doing great to your surprise? Have you had issues with the smks?
    Yes, I have and 1 other person I know has. Some lots shoot cloverleafs & the next lot will shoot 2moa.

Just my personal experience, the last time I shot them, I shot one of the lowest 600 yards scores ever. Reloaded the bullets with Bergers, I was back to my 1/2 moa groups.

I have plenty of smk 175's, I also tried them and the were on as well.

A friend of mine thought his barrel wore out, or something, I told him to try his Bergers first just to make sure. Shooting Bergers, his groups went back to normal.

All we could figure out was it had something to do with the bullets, lot to lot.

NOTE: I have shot 1/2 moa groups with the A-Max's, I just wasn't consistent with them. I have always been consistent with the Bergers & smk's.

LongRange
    Thanks Dennis...I havent had any issues with the 142g smks or the 140g hornadys yet...I did just buy a 500 box of the 142s and the measuremests are not as consistent as the 2 100 boxes I shot. I will seperate them by bearing surface and shoot them and if I have any issues ill start a tread...I weighed about 250 of them and they were all with in 3ths of a grain so I think their ok as far as weight. I didnt have much luck with the bergers in my 300wm so ive not tried them in the 260 but will after I re barrel this time.

D.ID
    I can't answer the discrepancy but I can say It happened to me once with bergers. I consider berger to be the most consistent production bullet out there based on every comparison I have ever done.
    Still at one point I found a batch of ammo I loaded that would have bean .030 jam if I had not caught it.......No explanation as the previous batch was all used up, never a problem since and never had a chance to get to the bottom of it.
    I can only add I buy all my bullets in bulk now for just that reason, 500 minimum.
    Love the hornady A-max (several) and there 225gr .308 match.
    Love the bergers.
    Love the SMK........ but......... have to sort, even within the same batch and box. Even use them (sorted) as the standard in my best rifle.

Basic Member
    I had a similar experience. I don't recall the difference but, best I can remember, the ogive changed when Hornady made the change to the "AMP" jacket. They were also 6.5mm, 140 AMAX.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12