Thread: base for a first time build

devildoc1

base for a first time build

Hey Guys,
    Great site! I have learned quite a bit by reading posts and I think I am ready to try my first build. My question is about what to start with. My goal is to build my own "Ultimate Coyote Rifle." I'd love a custom rifle, but I don't have that money! I coyote hunt a lot here in Illinois and get a mix of close and long range shots. The rifle will be carried, but not for really long distances. I am thinking 6.5 Creedmoor, 24-26" blued or cerokoated varmint contour barrel, synthetic stock with bedding block (not too tactical). Top it with a quality 4-16 scope and let it eat. (I also handload.) What I can't decide is whether I should get a plain Model 11 in 6.5 or get a model 11 Trophy Predator Hunter with the varmint barrel. My plan is to do the build in steps to see how the accuracy improves with each step. (Load test in stock condition, test with new stock, test with new barrel, test with new trigger if needed.) What do you guys think? I appreciate any advice.

JCalhoun
    The Predator Hunter is a good set for what you want. Caliber is up to you as just about anything flat shooting is a good choice.

How far will you be shooting?

Some other good options are .22-250, 6BR Norma, .243 Win, .260 Rem

Gunmonkey
    Whatcha gonna do if the bone stock rifle is balls on accurate? I'd look at the 11/111 Long Range Hunter, I'm pretty sure the make it in a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunmonkey View Post
    Whatcha gonna do if the bone stock rifle is balls on accurate? I'd look at the 11/111 Long Range Hunter, I'm pretty sure the make it in a 6.5 Creedmoor.
    Probably, try to make it even better! Isn't that what we all end up doing regardless of how good they shoot? Also even if a rifle is incredibly accurate, customizing the fit of the rifle to the shooter will allow the shooter to take advantage of said accuracy.