Thread: 10rd box mag question (Model 10)

10rd box mag question (Model 10)

I recently bought a Model 10 FCP in 308. Mcmillan stock, 24" barrel.
    My old model 10fp had an internal mag, and this has a detachable box mag (3 round) and was wondering if you can simply buy a 10rd box mag, or if there is a special brand/style you need.

The old "centerfire/ model 10 section" isnt here anymore so I figured this would be the best spot to check. Thanks guys!

Basic Member
    Even though you said you bought it recently, it depends on if the rifle is a centerfeed or not, as to whether you will readily find the pieces and parts to do what you want. To my knowledge, the 10FCP rifles were centerfeed, and not staggerfeed. If it is a centerfeed, then you have the 4.4" action screw spacing, you have a few options to choose from.

AI type magazines - CDI bottom metal
    Snydermags.com - utilizing the factory bottom metal
    Dark Eagle - utilizing the factory bottom metal

I hope this helps a bit.

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Thanks DK!
    It is a centerfeed action.
    Thank you for the links!
    I guess I'll place an order

Basic Member
    Absolutely. Get the barrels heated up!!

DK

Quote Originally Posted by gconnoyer View Post
    Thanks DK!
    It is a centerfeed action.
    Thank you for the links!
    I guess I'll place an order
    The factory 10 round mags are AI mags and will not fit bottom metal off the old one.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Sorry Stockrex, but the 10FCP that is in the Mc stock does use the Savage factory type bottom metal and magazine setup. The model that you are thinking about, is the 10FCP "SR". The SR utilizes the CDI type bottom metal and the AI type magazines, and has the Desert Digital stock. Two totally different creatures.

DK

Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    Sorry Stockrex, but the 10FCP that is in the Mc stock does use the Savage factory type bottom metal and magazine setup. The model that you are thinking about, is the 10FCP "SR". The SR utilizes the CDI type bottom metal and the AI type magazines, and has the Desert Digital stock. Two totally different creatures.

DK
    ratmag, noway, shut the front door!
    link to gun pls, that would solve a lot of my mag size issues... Thanks,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    For some strange reason, Savage has discontinued the SR version. It is no longer listed in their Law Enforcement Series of rifles. Shame, but they did.

DK

McMillian version with older bottom metal... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43534

Accustock AI magazine version with newer bottom metal... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76652

Quote Originally Posted by RatMag View Post
    For some strange reason, Savage has discontinued the SR version. It is no longer listed in their Law Enforcement Series of rifles. Shame, but they did.

DK

McMillian version with older bottom metal... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/43534

Accustock AI magazine version with newer bottom metal... http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76652
    Rat, the old style has a 4+1 capacity, and the only 10 rounder I can find is an AI mag, are you saying the AI 10 rounder will fit the old style stock with savage bottom metal?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    No, the factory Savage 10 round magazine, is the AI style. However, Snydermags and Dark Eagle are 10 rounders that utilize the older style factory bottom metals. They are both an aftermarket magazine that utilizes the factory 4 round magazine body, and adding a magazine extension to that part. The 4+1 bottom metals magazine release is in the front of the magazine, and the AI type is in the rear.

DK

Twinsen
    Beware, Savage has stopped using AI style DBM and just has extended mags for their standard DBM. The mags are Savage marked, plastic, and absolutely the lowest quality magazine that I have ever seen. I'll take pictures and post them on this forum. I ordered a 10 FCP-SR but received some BS new Savage that I hate for a few reasons.