I recently purchased my first new Savage and it is the version in the thread title. I stumbled upon it by accident during my first visit to a small local gun shop where it had been for three years, according to the shop owner. He told me it was one of a special run ordered by a distributor and that he got four of them - one each for himself, his father and his sister and the one for stock but no one who looked at the one in stock knew anything about the caliber and it didn't sell. I had often thought about trying a Model 12BVSS and planned on my next new rifle being a 6.5-284 so when he offered it to me for what I considered an attractive price, I figured it would be akin to killing two birds with one stone (or check), so I bought it.

I would like to know how many guns might have been in that order. I have a lot of Remington and Smith & Wesson firearms and know they keep production records by the gun's product code, which is unique to every gun based upon model, finish, barrel length, chambering and other features. However, Savage customer service tells me they have no way to track that information. In fact, I had to speak with three customer service representatives to find one who took the time to find the rifling twist rate for me (1:8, by the way - thank you, Amanda). If anyone has any information about these rifles, I would appreciate your sharing it.

The thing has great accuracy potential, based upon my limited handload development. I've only been able to try 12 different recipes due to the cold and windy weather we're having lately but one load shot into one ragged hole 0.265" larger than the bore diameter at 100 yards. All I've done to it thus far is adjust the AccuTrigger, install a single-shot conversion ramp and mount a 6.5-20x 40mm AO Leupold VX-3 target scope with a dot reticle. I'm not sold on the AccuTrigger yet - I find it has a little more overtravel than I like and as that may not be adjustable, I might replace it with a Timney. I use a lot of them in my Remingtons that came with their newer X-Pro trigger as I prefer their older triggers.

Thank you in advance or any input you can offer. I hope to learn a lot about my new Savage from the other forum members.

Ed