Thread: weather warrior .308 accu stock accu trigger accuracy issues.

kippo

weather warrior .308 accu stock accu trigger accuracy issues.

I've searched but can't find anything on the torque settings for the 2 bolt accustock reciver. If anyone has a link to that i would greatly appreciate it .

shooting 165 grain fusions my 3rnd group is literally five inches.

Shooting custom loaded 150 grain Hornady btsp my groups are 1" and under.

I can't load any before tomorrow so what grain and brand of factory ammo should I look at to use to hunt with tomorrow?

Basic Member
    For torque settings...here: http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

As for bullet: what are you hunting? Deer....150gr or heavier unless shooting monolithic then 130gr. Elk....180gr.

kippo
    Yeah I tried that. It hasn't been the same since I took action out to adjust trigger.

I've done it that way and how savage tech told me .

he told me to do the front screw at 40 in lbs then the rear at 40 in lbs

150 gr Hornady white tale Gave me a 1.1 group.

So I'm going to hunt with them.
    150 gr ten corlocks where all over with a 3.2 group.

I am hunting white tails. My pet load is 43.5 gr of powder and 155 gr Hornady btsp . My loads grouped at .53 being the last 3 of them i shot.

Anyone have a pet factory hunting round that shoots under 1" at 100yds?

That's a simple enough question. Hunt with what you sighted your rifle in with. If you don't then you have a very good chance to miss the vitals and either have a missed oppourtunity or worse a wounded animal. Maybe just me, but I feel I owe the game I hunt much more than a crappy shot outside the vitals.

Did you firmly seat the recoil lug all the way back by placing the rifle on the butt and pushing the barreled action down against the stock while tightening?

Pretty sure last time I took one of my accustock rigs out of the stock I returned it to 65 in/# like a typical aftermarket stock with full length aluminum block.
    Thought that was the standard torque setting for a rifle with a full length block.
    Last edited by big honkin jeep; 11-21-2014 at 09:39 PM.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

kippo
    I know that I'm just kinda bummed that it isn't shooting like it was right out of the box. Wish i had never adjusted that trigger.

The first two seasons this rifle took 7 deer each season. None ran more than 30 yds. Then i adjusted the trigger and it's groups are awful compared to what i usually shoot.

How many rounds down the tube since a "deep" cleaning,,powder and copper? "My pet load is 43.5 gr of powder and 155 gr Hornady btsp . My loads grouped at .53 being the last 3 of them i shot". Why are you not shooting your pet load?

DocDoc

If it shot well initially

Then you know you just need to do something to get it back to the original state and it will shoot again!!!

kippo
    About 20 rnds down the range since deep cleaning.

Due to my soon to be wife going into our house while I was at work and wiping out all my tools and reloading equipment I was unable to load any more. Thankfully a friends wife called and let me know my soon to be ex had been stashing a lot of my belongings at a few different places. I have since recovered my reloading equipment and my welder plasma cuter and most of my tools.

Some items it looks like she sold already to fund her divorce lawyer.

So that's why I haven't been shooting my pet loads.

Quote Originally Posted by gwtx View Post
    How many rounds down the tube since a "deep" cleaning,,powder and copper? "My pet load is 43.5 gr of powder and 155 gr Hornady btsp . My loads grouped at .53 being the last 3 of them i shot". Why are you not shooting your pet load?

Bummer, sorry I asked. Hope things get better for you soon,,,,especially your rifle :)

kippo
    No worries man. It was really tough at first but the more I sat back and waited the more pieces fell into place. Stuff was planned months ago and I was blind to it. The more I find out the more I'm ready for it to all be over with.

Hopefully I'll be back to reloading in another cold of weeks and I'll get my rifle back to like she was brand new.

Basic Member
    The trick is to find the torque setting your rifle had from the factory.

When setting your torque, set front action screw to 20 in/lb. then set your back screw to 20 in/lb. Go back to your front screw and set it to 25 in/lb, then your back screw to 25 in/lb. In other words, you have to keep up this procedure until you get to your desired setting for in/lbs.

Try shootings groups at 30 in/lbs, 35 in/lbs and 40 in/lbs. Somewhere in this range you should find your accuracy node.

One tip I learned when reinstalling Accustocks is to use Redding Imperial sizing die wax on the stock rails and on the action where it makes contact with the rails. This allows for a consistent loading of the action in the rails of the stock.

kippo
    Quote Originally Posted by NW Hunter View Post
    The trick is to find the torque setting your rifle had from the factory.

When setting your torque, set front action screw to 20 in/lb. then set your back screw to 20 in/lb. Go back to your front screw and set it to 25 in/lb, then your back screw to 25 in/lb. In other words, you have to keep up this procedure until you get to your desired setting for in/lbs.

Try shootings groups at 30 in/lbs, 35 in/lbs and 40 in/lbs. Somewhere in this range you should find your accuracy node.

One tip I learned when reinstalling Accustocks is to use Redding Imperial sizing die wax on the stock rails and on the action where it makes contact with the rails. This allows for a consistent loading of the action in the rails of the stock.
    Hey thanks i will use the die wax trick and see it'll that helps. It's shooting good enough to hunt with and I have taken 2 nice deer this season. I will wait till season is over before i start messing with it again.

wjchastain
    Quote Originally Posted by kippo View Post
    About 20 rnds down the range since deep cleaning.

Due to my soon to be wife going into our house while I was at work and wiping out all my tools and reloading equipment I was unable to load any more. Thankfully a friends wife called and let me know my soon to be ex had been stashing a lot of my belongings at a few different places. I have since recovered my reloading equipment and my welder plasma cuter and most of my tools.

Some items it looks like she sold already to fund her divorce lawyer.

So that's why I haven't been shooting my pet loads.
    It takes mine about 40 rounds after I deep clean the barrel.