Thread: Couple does with 116 trophy hunter xp

Couple does with 116 trophy hunter xp

Opening weekend I took my neighbors son like I have the last 5 years. He ended up with a buck and a doe. I did not shoot anything opening weekend or all week.

I was taking a 44 lever gun but decided to try my 06 on deer so I headed to the range to re-site with 150 grain from 180's. 5 shots and I was good to go.

The cold front that moved in and winds from the north just did not see any deer. Saturday the wind died down but it was 18 deg when I left the house. I got in the woods and settled in my stand before sunrise. Around 8:00 I could hear deer moving but could not see them. I finally saw a doe on the next hillside about a 100 yards she was standing still behind a tree and I could still hear deer moving so I am looking for them because I didn't want to get busted before I could get setup on any of them. The doe stepped out and I shot her and watched her run over a hill and hear her fall, I still hear the other deer walking I turn around and they bust out and take off running. I climbed down then to get my doe I didn't want to drag 2 up from the bottom. I find where she was standing when I shot and can follow the blood trail from where I stood. It looked like a 12 inch wide red carpet. It was a heart shot and she had ran maybe 50 yards.

Ended up going again Saturday afternoon. Someone was hunting in a spot near where I was wanting to hunt so I repositioned to another spot. They shot all afternoon. Right at sunset I hear a deer running behind me but could not get a good look at it then 10 minutes later a doe come walking right to me. This deer I took to the processor to be donated to Hunters for the Hungry. Always take 1 deer for donation to the food bank.

I still ended up dragging 2 deer out of the bottom but one in the morning and one in the afternoon was better. I told my young hunting buddy next year I get to shoot first so I have help dragging my deer. He said that would be fine. I then told him I was kidding. He is old enough to hunt by himself but still asked me to take him. I gladly give up opening morning of gun season to help him get a deer or two.

The gun shoots great just need to find a shorter stock or cut the plastic down.
    30-06
    150 grn corelokts
    Dave

Here is the first doe, the second one was donated and I didn't get a pic of it.
    Dave

Nandy
    Good shooting Dave!