Thread: My First Moose Hunt

Basic Member

My First Moose Hunt

Just booked my first moose hunt, Newfoundland! This is on the heels of finishing my first Savage project; a 338-06 McGowan, SSS trigger and recoil lug, and my self-customized Boyd laminate/bedded stock. This has been a great project with much valuable research from this board. Still working on the 225gr Interbond and Interlock loads; anyone got a pet moose load? Yes I have now officially become a SavageHo; ordered a 25-06 barrel for the smaller chores.

dcloco

Re: My First Moose Hunt

Not supposed to shoot "pet moose". :)

Congrats on the hunt. Pictures will follow I hope!

Uncle Jack

+1

You shoot my pet moose and there's gonna be trouble.

uj

Basic Member

Please be sure to put a "Property of xxx" sign on your pet so I can be sure to avoid him; otherwise fair game! Pictures will surely follow; the test will be to see if you can tell the difference between the bull and the BSer.

Charlie,
    Try some Nosler 210 Partitions ahead of IMR 4350 in WW .30/06 cases with WLR primers, I forget the exact load at the moment but it is straight from the Nosler manual. I got great velocity and accuracy with single digit SD and ES numbers.

Bob
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Uncle Jack

All kidding aside, if you are successful, you will have a couple hundred pounds of the best tasting game meat on the planet.

uj

Basic Member

Leaving Friday! Settled on 225gr Hornady Interlocks in front of 59.5gr H414 after trying many others.

stevec

Good luck Charlie! Cant wait to see some pics!

Steve

Basic Member

Got approx 800lb bull-moose with average 40" rack first morning; brother-in-law shot large cow that afternoon. First day 6/10 hunters took a moose; by Thurs when we left 8/10 successful; no doubt the last 2 scored afterwards. Newfoundland is full of moose! The main surprise is the landscape is deceiving; difficult to travel with all the water/mud and spruce thickets. Back in Charlotte with freezer FULL of good meat. The 338-06 225gr Hornady Interlock did it's job, blowing a large hole completely through at 200+ yards; very satisfied with this as big-game tool which is also a pleasure to shoot. Got to think about an elk hunt for next year.

Elkbane

If you're planning for Elk next year, now's a good time to do it. Check the application deadlines for the states that are in the running, 'cause in most of them, you can;t buy over-the-counter tags anymore (maybe except Colorado for some zones).

Good deal on the Moose. Our company manages 300k acres of timberland property in Northern Maine and can't seem to draw a tag there......people hunting all over the place on our land and we can't get a tag; you'd think you could get landowner permits or something.
    Elkbane