Thread: Kentucky Buck 2014

Kentucky Buck 2014

Okay I am posting this to remind myself to upload the pics when I get home. I got an 8pt with my Savage 111 TH .270win. Loads are 140gr SST with 56.0gr of H4831 in Fed Brass with CCI LR Primers (can't remember the # off the top of my head) seated .011-.012" off the lands. Single Shot at 108 yards (rangefinder after the fact) slightly quartering to me well placed double lung anchored him. He gave one buck roar and fell over dead never kicked. I love those rounds of the 3 deer killed with them not one took a step. Now I have to remember to edit and post pics!!
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Last edited by tufrthnails; 01-04-2015 at 08:02 AM.

Basic Member
    congratulations on a good buck! I wanted to get a whitetail but really never got the chance.

Nice!

Thanks Guys. It was fun trip and I already am itching for next year again.

I Started the process of cleaning, whitening, and degreasing the skull for my Euro last week. This week I finished it up. I cut the Cedar back board out of a log I had been saving in the back of the shop. Sanded it down added a bit of Kona stain to add some darker coloring and coated it with lacquer first followed by a High shine two part epoxy.

Cam
    Very nice work!

Basic Member
    Oh, Yeah. That's nice.

What did you use for cleaning the skull and everything? I just buried mine in the garden next to the rhubarb patch. I'm sure it will work, but I am likely to forget about it and, even if I don't, it will be next fall before I can mount it!

In Florida I got hungry Ants on my side all winter long. I put it on a large ant bed on the back side of the property with a large metal trash can turned upside down on it with 50 lbs of concrete on top of it to keep the critters out. I expected it to smell, but unless I took the trash can off and moved it around a lot I never smelled it. It sat there for 40 days before I took it up to the shop and pressure washed it lightly. Then I boiled the remained little bits and got them out with a pic and brush. After that I let it dry for two days then de greased it with dawn and slow boil. Used 40 vol salon peroxide to whiten the skull then gave it a little paint job. I really like how it turned out for my first Euro.

Basic Member
    Maybe I should dig mine up while I still can and send it south for the winter.
    What's your address?

LOL! It was a fun Project Foxx. I have heard guys have really good luck burying them for 8 months to a year. Did you cape it out or just bury the whole thing skin and all? I have some really nasty pics of the process because some guys on another forum were curious about how it would turn out. Seems the most common way is capping it then simmering the skull and picking the stuff off it then degreasing and whitening. I won't hesitate to let the ants do my dirty work again, but I think our weather has a lot to do with them working on it so quickly.

Basic Member
    I caped it and then buried it. I've boiled them before but it's easy to overdo it and break up the skull. It stinks to high heaven doing it, too. I'm wanting the bugs to do it for me this time, just not expecting much progress till at least April or May. Basically, I'll do what you did, just have to wait for warm weather.

When I boiled mine it was more of a simmer I never let the water get over 205F and it only took 15 min to get it ready to pick the leftover stuff out and even then it still split the bridge of the nose, but I just super glued it back together after I whitened it.

Basic Member
    THat's cuz you let the bugs have it first. When I did it I was cooking off a lot of meat. Big mistake! I will do exactly what you did, once the bugs are done with it sometime around June or July, maybe.