Thread: help for Antelope hunt in Montana

Bearguide444

help for Antelope hunt in Montana

It has been several years 12 to be exact since I last hunted in Montana for antelope. I am planning on trying to take my son on a trip but am curious as to what the antelope numbers are in the state? 2 what are the chances of getting a non resident tag the last time I hunted I was in the 700 zone it took about a year wait for tag. lastly is there any members here that would have a place to hunt for myself and son either private land or a good place with public access any response or comment would be great. I appreciate the help anyone can give.

Todd

Basic Member
    The antelope numbers has been low for the last couple of years due to winter kills. This year was the 1st time I didn't get drawn for antelope. NR tags is still almost a year wait and I cannot tell you the chances of getting drawn.

I normally hunt area 450 in Cascade, MT and there are a few BMAs in the area. For more info, checkout or monitor the MT FWP website at http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/licenses/buyAppl/nowAvailable.html

WY has the best antelope numbers and best chances for NRs.

Hope this helps.

Bearguide444
    have you hunted in Wyoming or are you a Montana resident? if you have hunted in wyoming since I have never been there is access to land easy? I thought they had a large number of private land and not much open land for hunting

I have lived in Wyoming for over 35 years and have excellent success in the areas between Casper and Medicine Bow. About 40 miles south of Casper is a bunch of BLM (public) land. The number of animals there are usually pretty good, depending on winter kill, and you don't have to chase landowner permission. The downsides are kind of important to remember though. If you go during the middle of the week you will generally have a lot of area to yourself, which means that you are on your own if things go sideways and cell phone coverage is spotty. During hunting season the weather can go from nice to nasty overnight, like a fifty degree difference in the daily high with a little 40-60 mph breeze thrown in. Don't forget the chance of snow to grease things up.

Still, if you are willing to do the homework to find the BLM buondries, research the Game and Fish rules, and be prepared, it will be a great hunt.

The long shots you read about are mostly bogus stories to cover up lousy skill. My wifes longest shot was around 100 yards and her closest was a measured 28 yards.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearguide444 View Post
    have you hunted in Wyoming or are you a Montana resident? if you have hunted in wyoming since I have never been there is access to land easy? I thought they had a large number of private land and not much open land for hunting
    Negative on hunting WY, but like MT you have to monitor their site. Most out of staters go to WY for antelope. Yes, I'm a MT resident.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macho mouse View Post
    I have lived in Wyoming for over 35 years and have excellent success in the areas between Casper and Medicine Bow. About 40 miles south of Casper is a bunch of BLM (public) land. The number of animals there are usually pretty good, depending on winter kill, and you don't have to chase landowner permission. The downsides are kind of important to remember though. If you go during the middle of the week you will generally have a lot of area to yourself, which means that you are on your own if things go sideways and cell phone coverage is spotty. During hunting season the weather can go from nice to nasty overnight, like a fifty degree difference in the daily high with a little 40-60 mph breeze thrown in. Don't forget the chance of snow to grease things up.

Still, if you are willing to do the homework to find the BLM buondries, research the Game and Fish rules, and be prepared, it will be a great hunt.

The long shots you read about are mostly bogus stories to cover up lousy skill. My wifes longest shot was around 100 yards and her closest was a measured 28 yards.
    LR hunting/shooting does not happen overnight and is definitely not for everyone, but I assure you they are not bogus as you claim or lack the skill to humanely harvest the game.

I recognize some fellow LRH members, hopefully, they'll chime in too.
    Last edited by FEENIX; 12-30-2014 at 04:03 PM.

Basic Member
    I hunted area 700 5 years ago at a ranch about 40 miles north of Brodus. I havent applied since but had no problem that time.
    On the same trip i also bought a leftover buck tag for the Gillette WY area in a sporting goods store. No doubt antelope were more
    plentiful in the Gillette area. That said i had no problem getteng a decent buck with a bogus 610 yd shot. The one near Gillette was
    also bogus but at 420 yds not quite as much of a b s story lol. I do go to the Montana ranch for prairie dogs also. Those being
    much smaller than your average antelope, my stories about those lucky shots are extremly bogus.

When I said bogus stories, I meant the typical one box (or less) a year hunter. I have worked with a bunch of these bozos over the years and to hear them tell it, they consider it a sin to take a shot at less than 600 yards unless the antelope is running. Then a shot at 300-400 yards is acceptable. When you ask them where they have their zero, almost every one has a variation of the 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. When you ask them about their comeups, you mostly get a blank stare and when pressed for their holdover, they then mumble something about right on the top of the back. I have known some hunters ( very few) who really did have the skill and equipment to make a really long shot at will. They also knew when to pass.

Perhaps because I live here and can legally hunt something everyday of the year, I tend to try to stalk to less than 200 yards. It could also be that I used to handgun hunt exclusively for everything. Anyway, if you have put in the time to learn everything that is necessary to make those long shots, have at it. I have had the unfortunate pleasure to have to put down way too many three-legged antelope to suggest it as a common practice.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    I hunted area 700 5 years ago at a ranch about 40 miles north of Brodus. I havent applied since but had no problem that time.
    On the same trip i also bought a leftover buck tag for the Gillette WY area in a sporting goods store. No doubt antelope were more
    plentiful in the Gillette area. That said i had no problem getteng a decent buck with a bogus 610 yd shot. The one near Gillette was
    also bogus but at 420 yds not quite as much of a b s story lol. I do go to the Montana ranch for prairie dogs also. Those being
    much smaller than your average antelope, my stories about those lucky shots are extremly bogus.
    LL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by macho mouse View Post
    When I said bogus stories, I meant the typical one box (or less) a year hunter. I have worked with a bunch of these bozos over the years and to hear them tell it, they consider it a sin to take a shot at less than 600 yards unless the antelope is running. Then a shot at 300-400 yards is acceptable. When you ask them where they have their zero, almost every one has a variation of the 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. When you ask them about their comeups, you mostly get a blank stare and when pressed for their holdover, they then mumble something about right on the top of the back. I have known some hunters ( very few) who really did have the skill and equipment to make a really long shot at will. They also knew when to pass.

Perhaps because I live here and can legally hunt something everyday of the year, I tend to try to stalk to less than 200 yards. It could also be that I used to handgun hunt exclusively for everything. Anyway, if you have put in the time to learn everything that is necessary to make those long shots, have at it. I have had the unfortunate pleasure to have to put down way too many three-legged antelope to suggest it as a common practice.
    I too like most LRH members I know also hunt with handguns and bow. I know couple of members that hunt/shoot/compete with handguns at extreme LRs one of which is a pastor from WY.

IIRC, this was taken at 25 yards ...

Like you, I too have done my share of putting injured game out of their misery ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-misery-78986/
    Last edited by FEENIX; 12-30-2014 at 08:35 PM.

Bearguide444
    Thank you to all that replied I am looking into Wyoming at this point in time. Where not sure any ideas or contacts that would be great.

Basic Member
    Thank you to all that replied I am looking into Wyoming at this point in time. Where not sure any ideas or contacts that would be great.
    This is from another forum but have some info about WY antelope hunt that might help you >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FEENIX View Post
    I too like most LRH members I know also hunt with handguns and bow. I know couple of members that hunt/shoot/compete with handguns at extreme LRs one of which is a pastor from WY.

IIRC, this was taken at 25 yards ...

Like you, I too have done my share of putting injured game out of their misery ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-misery-78986/
    Next time you talk to Rev Ernie, tell him Ernie said hello. Just assuming you know Chuck also?

Basic Member
    The best thing to have when going on any type of hunt is time. Unfortunatly most people have a very limited ammount of time when going on a hunt.
    There is public land and there are also ranchers that will permit hunting for a fee. Gun shops or taxidermy shops are generaly good sources for that
    type information. Ive hunted antelope in n e WY not far from Devils tower. The place was teeming with them at that time. Ive also spoken with guys who hunted
    south of there near New Castle on public land and were successful. Dont be expecting to arrive the day before and have everything fall into place for you.
    A trip from MN to WY isnt all that far to be taking a reconisence trip.

Bearguide444
    yobuck when was the last time you hunted there in wyoming? do you travel there often looks like your aways from there

Basic Member
    yobuck when was the last time you hunted there in wyoming? do you travel there often looks like your aways from there
    The last time i hunted there was for antelope 5 years ago this past fall. Ive made several more trips to Montana since but only for prairie dogs.
    And your right it is a long trip regardless as to wether i leave from PA or Fl.

Basic Member
    For a non resident the best chance of getting a tag is in the North East part of the state....I haven't spent much time up there but I do know there is a lot of ranches. I'm in the South West part of the state and have a tough time getting a buck tag in the draw and my dad who is a non res has yet to draw a tag for a buck. If you want a real hunt get some doe tags, most of the time the bucks are pretty laid back during season and you can get pretty close to them easy enough, the does seem to be high strung all year and getting super close can be tough on a spot and stalk. Long shots aren't needed, I take them because I have the kit to do so, but I really like to be inside handgun range on antelope because if you just set up and ranged the animals you can have all your tags filled in a morning pretty easy.
    Doug

Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Basic Member
    For me, id rather drive about 1800 miles (each way) to shoot 100 or more singly fed shots at prairie dogs each day, than i would travel
    that distance to shoot just a few at an antelope. There are no licence requirments in Montana for prairie dogs. And most ranchers will welcome you
    at no charge to shoot them. An ideal hunt in my opinion is to apply for the antelope tag, and if drawn plan for a combination antelope/prairie dog hunt.
    You would most likely shoot your antelope while sitting there shooting prairie dogs. Last trip we had 5 nice bucks walk to within 500 yds off to our right from
    where we were shooting at dogs. And our vehicle was parked right next to us. Its not the only time thats happened, but these were all nice bucks.