Thread: Dicks Sporting Goods Sales??

evangorp

Dicks Sporting Goods Sales??

So I'm still having a heck of a time deciding on exactly which rifle I want to purchase, so I have been browsing Black Friday Ads and current ads and have come across the following deals:

-Savage 11 VT $420 after rebates
    -Savage Axis $250 after rebates
    -Savage 111 Trophy Hunter $420 after rebates
    -Ruger American $320
    -Remington 700 Varmint $430 after rebates

I am looking at either a .223 or .308 for the caliber. My question is out of those listed, which would you chose and why? The gun will primarily be used for target shooting out to 3-400 yards. Thanks!

Reeseman
    I can respond to this one . I have a Remington 700 SPS varmint in .308 with factory barrel and Timney trigger . On a good day it will shoot 1'' groups at 100 yards with my best loads . My brother bought an 11VT Savage .308 from Dicks several months back and it shoots several factory loads to 1'' groups at 100 yards . It has shot under 1'' with hand loads . It is box stock with the trigger at the lightest setting and internals polished with factory stock . The stock is decent for a factory synthetic piece compared to my Remington factory stock which is poor . The Remington is very upgradeable but at a price . The 11 VT is a great deal in my opinion if you are on a budget . Beyond 100 yards his Savage is a much better shooter comparing factory barrels and stocked rifles . We have shot each others guns with the same results .

Get the vt , apply for the credit card and get another 10% off

evangorp
    The VT would be based of the model 10 action, correct! So upgrades for the model 10 would work on the VT? Does anyone know which standard model Savage offers that the VT is the closest to?

SThomas3791
    Quote Originally Posted by evangorp View Post
    So I'm still having a heck of a time deciding on exactly which rifle I want to purchase, so I have been browsing Black Friday Ads and current ads and have come across the following deals:

-Savage 11 VT $420 after rebates
    -Savage Axis $250 after rebates
    -Savage 111 Trophy Hunter $420 after rebates
    -Ruger American $320
    -Remington 700 Varmint $430 after rebates

I am looking at either a .223 or .308 for the caliber. My question is out of those listed, which would you chose and why? The gun will primarily be used for target shooting out to 3-400 yards. Thanks!
    just a heads up. if youre lucky enough to have a walmart in your area who sells firearms there will be 20% all firearms starting at 6am on black friday. a savage axis where i am is $287. subtract that sale and $50 in savage rebates and it brings that axis to $180 im eyeing up a 111 trophy hunter that i can pick up for $325 with sale and rebates! i dont normally go anywhere near the stores on black friday but if it saves me $175 on a new savage im there!

jrose361
    I am in the same boat
    Looking for a intro to long range gun in .223
    Axis HB
    Dick's 11 VT
    Hog Hunter
    Like the Axis and the VT for the DBM
    But Hog Hunter is threaded for a brake

evangorp
    Well...after driving down to DSG and handling both the Axis and the 11VT, I decided to purchase the 11VT in .223. I like the feel of the gun, and really like the heavy barrel. We shall see how it shoots, but after saving 10% it brought the total down to $370+tax, figured can't really go wrong. Funny how until last night I didn't even know this rifle existed! The scope will go eventually, but for now I will shoot it as is.

Reeseman
    Good decision Evan . At that price you cant pass it up . That's a lot of gun for that little money and it will be a great shooter with the right loads .

Shadow_Grey
    I picked up a VT in 308 a couple of weeks ago and really like it...but then again it is my first rifle bigger than a 223.

ccw007
    I picked up the 11 vt last night also. It was about 400 with the 10% off and tax plus you get back score card rewards on top of that not a bad deal. Cannot wait to shot it!

JCalhoun
    For a target shooter out to 400y the .308 in a heavy barrel option would be the better choice. The .223 will do it but is more at the mercy of the wind. However, the .223 is a bit cheaper to load for.

The thin barrels on the other rifles will heat up faster and hot barrels are not terribly accurate.

jrose361
    with all the talk on the VT I went out tonight and got on in .223

Basic Member
    The V/T rifles are definitely the way to go... Mine is a laser beam!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

if you buy a gun at dicks they will give you coupons to buy ammo, you can combine them with black Friday deals...
    newbie from gr, mi.

curlymaple42
    Hmmm... I might have to check out Dick's for a donor rifle after reading this!