Thread: Need Some Input On New Rifle Project

JW74

Need Some Input On New Rifle Project

Hello all, New member her. I currently own a Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5 Creedmoor and love the rifle! So now I am planning on putting a riffle together as a winter project. Basically I want to get a lower cost starter rifle in .308 and add a custom stock, detachable magazine, muzzle break ect.

I have it narrowed down to two candidates.

The first is a Remington 700 ADL Varmint (internal magazine/no external base plate). It has a plastic molded stock with 26" heavy barrel and is going for about $445 right now at Cabella's. I would have to add the detachable mag assembly from Wyatt's for about another $250. Then was thinking of adding a B&C Tatical Medalist stock.

The second choice is a Savage Model 11VT (exclusive to Dick's). It is a 24" heavy barrel, accutrigger and is going for $419 with an additional $75 dollar rebate. Great price ($345). I would have to spend another $150 to add new bottom metal so that it will fit the Choate Tactical stock with a compatible detachable mag.

Not including the cost of aftermarket stock the Savage is coming in at about $200 cheaper than the Rem 700. What I am wondering; is the Rem 700 worth the extra $200 dollars right off the bat?

Whatever rifle I choose I will paint the stock myself and have a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 22-23" and add a muzzle break.

Thanks for any input!

D.ID
    Worth an extra two bills upfront and at least that much more to remedy if it doesn't give you what you want in original configuration. I would say probably not.
    Roughly translated to totally honest terms: Fat chance in hell.

JCalhoun
    The Savage will every bit as good (or better) as the Remington so take the savings and invest it in your scope.

D.ID
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    The Savage will every bit as good (or better) as the Remington so take the savings and invest it in your scope.
    +1...............Well said.

JW74
    Thanks for the help guys. My gut was leaning towards the Savage as I have been really happy with my 12 LRP so far as well.

Thanks,
    Joe