Thread: Weird vision issue

Basic Member

Weird vision issue

First, the background....

I wear glasses, bifocals, mostly for reading with only a slight distance correction.
    Lately, I've been noticing road signs getting blurry, so I began wearing my glasses when driving (although I don't HAVE to)
    Now it seems that my targets are getting fuzzy too. I tried wearing my glasses at the range today to see what would happen.
    Here's the weird part....

Without my glasses, the vertical cross hair is perfectly vertical. With my glasses on, the vertical cross hair is canted to the left...way left.
    I thought WTF, my scope moved !! Took off my glasses and the scope is perfect again.
    I expect to have to adjust the "fast focus" eyepiece, but how/why are the cross hairs tilted only with my glasses on??
    I still don't know if my glasses will help or not, as I can't get past the tilted cross hair situation.
    Any help is appreciated.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Interesting and I can't say that I've ever experienced it.

Progressive or lined bifocals?
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post

Progressive or lined bifocals?
    Progressive. I tried another scoped rifle, same thing. Best I guess, I'm canting the rifle when I have the glasses on, although it doesn't feel like I am.

Werewolf
    By definition, a corrective lens bends light to bring the focal point into the proper position for your eye. i am going to guess that the combination of the lens in your glasses AND the lenses in the scope is bending the light in a weird way before it gets to your eye. Since it occurred with two different scopes the problem could lie in your eyeglasses. My perception shifts ever so slightly (up and down) when I take my glasses on or off, but I have no experience with progressive lenses. I would call my ophthamologist and ask about it. I always shoot (bow and gun) with my glasses on to avoid the shift.

I have progressive lenses and they make everything look tilted or bent if you are not looking straight at something. I had trifocals before with no lines and did not have any trouble at all. I have not been able to find anybody around here that is an eye Doc and a shooter that can answer my questions.

I had the same problem with my progressive lenses. Iron sights will look crooked too. You are not canting the gun, it's an optical illusion. My eye Dr. happens to be a shooter and he was able to adjust the transition area of my prescription to minimize the problem.

If those dang target companies would quit using that blurry ink it would be a non-issue :)
    It's better to shoot for the moon and hit the fencepost than to shoot for the fencepost and hit the ground!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the replies guys. At least now I know I'm not going nutz. I'll be at the range again this week, so I'll try again and pay close attention to my head position on the rifle. Maybe I can sort this out. It would be cool if someone made a corrective lens that just goes on the objective or onocular end of a scope like a flip up cover. Come to think of it, I'd bet there's some money to made there!

Hallbilly
    My one working eye has only just forced me away from open sights, so I'm now going through a sharp learning curve with scopes.
    I find that when wearing corrective glasses I can't get good focus at the scope or target, so go natural and wind the focus all the way out. It's a good way of ensuring no one else can toy with your rifle.
    I still can't get crisp focus at both the scope and target at the same time, so compromise.
    Yesterday I lined up on a bunny at about 200 yards, problem was the scope told me it had two heads and no I'm not doing drugs.
    Both my GP and eye doctor ask "Did you think you would be young for ever" and just laugh at me.................