Thread: Carrying in winter

Carrying in winter

Well it is that time of the year, yes, ice fishing and pier fishing in Fishigan.
    My mother and I are avid fans of the deadly, high risk sport of fishing. We go after nocturnal species and sometimes fish all night till 3 am. it is around 10F and - xxF with wind chill.
    So needless to say, I have a few layers on me.

I have a hip holster for my XDM 40 cal but I realized last season, it will take me good 2 mins to upzip and reach into my bib to retrieve my handgun.

So my question is How the heck are you guys conceal carrying in winter?
    newbie from gr, mi.

My nice new insulated Carhartt jacket has two interior pockets that are the perfect size for my little Kahr CW40 or my Ruger LCR. The other option would be a chest rig like Diamond D's Guides Choice so you could get to it with just unzipping your jacket or coverall a little. You could actually wear the latter on the outside of your jacket as well.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I use a Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster for my 4" 67 Smith. I'll unzip my jacket maybe 1/3" of the way down, reach in and its out in a few seconds. The thing I like most,it has plenty on adjustment to fit over the layers, Under Amour, shirts, sweaters and etc.

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

It depends on what I'm carrying and what I'm doing.

I'll carry either in a shoulder holster (.45 ACP) or pocket holster (.380 ACP or .38 Special).
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    So what's yer favorite walleye load?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

REDTAIL

Cool Winter Carry

In the Cooler Weather.? I find that a Shoulder Holster is the way to go.?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Ain't every shooted any weirdeyes, but a 16ga splatter gun did a number on a white sucker!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I would say 9mm plus p, I get about 18 inches of water penetration, when the eyes come up to nibble on the bag of chum and whack! :-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    My nice new insulated Carhartt jacket has two interior pockets that are the perfect size for my little Kahr CW40 or my Ruger LCR. The other option would be a chest rig like Diamond D's Guides Choice so you could get to it with just unzipping your jacket or coverall a little. You could actually wear the latter on the outside of your jacket as well.
    I love the chest rig, well with my non-athletic gut that would stick out like a pregnant tummy with triplets in the 3rd trimester. I want to conceal and carrying outside is out.

I like the carrying in the pocket idea, I will have to dump the 40 and check if my sig p250 fits any of my jackets, I have carhartt jacket but it is just too heavy and gets heavier when the water spray from lake Michigan soaks it for hours.
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    Ain't every shooted any weirdeyes, but a 16ga splatter gun did a number on a white sucker!

Bill
    lol, I wonder if one can shot the Asian carps with a trap gun as they fly out of the water
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa View Post
    I use a Uncle Mikes vertical shoulder holster for my 4" 67 Smith. I'll unzip my jacket maybe 1/3" of the way down, reach in and its out in a few seconds. The thing I like most,it has plenty on adjustment to fit over the layers, Under Amour, shirts, sweaters and etc.

Bill
    I tried it and I get neck pain from the straps, I wonder if they make one with wider shoulder straps?
    newbie from gr, mi.

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    I tried it and I get neck pain from the straps, I wonder if they make one with wider shoulder straps?
    I have tried a couple of Uncle Mike's shoulder holsters (the nylon ones) and found them quite uncomfortable.

I much prefer my leather Galco Miami Classic 2. All day comfortable including a few 1,000+ mile motorcycle rides.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Basic Member
    Coats in the winter? You silly northerners! When I do actually have to wear a jacket or vest, I have a leather pocket holster that the rough side is on the outside. It stays in the pocket when I draw. I have one for my LCR and xds.

I met my attorney over lunch last week and he was showing me his glock 42, now that is a small, slim pocket gun. I see how the carhartt jackets with large outside pockets will be good to carry. I guess I could keep my hand in my pocket like the man from u.n.c.l.e :-)
    newbie from gr, mi.

I wanted the G42 but have not found one locally. Still want one but not sure if/when I'll get it.

Always said I'd never own a .380 but they do come in handy.

The S&W Bodyguard .380 shoots well and carries easily. It is double-action only and the trigger pull is VERY long. It is consistent though.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

curlymaple42
    I carry a KelTec pf9 in my Carhartt coat inside pocket with a kydex trigger cover I made when I am out snowshoeing and ice fishing here in Maine. Pull pistol out, grab paracord loop and rip cover off. Safer than just sticking it in the pocket is all.