Thread: which model to buy for possible future custom?

Basic Member

which model to buy for possible future custom?

Hey all.
    I am looking to buy my wife a new savage for hunting deer. Caliber will be probably a 7mm-08 or 308. What I can't decide on is which model to buy which will have most options for after market stocks later. I recently built a 7mm mag off an older pre accutrigger model 110 with bell and Carlson stock and criterion barrel. It came out awesome and is shooting dime size groups or smaller consistently at 100 yards. There are just so many different new model savages with different magazines and such that I know can cause issues with buying stocks later should we want to do another build. She is by no means a long range hunter. 300 yards will be max so anything around 1MOA accuracy will be fine. She is fine with blind magazines, floor plate style or box. So thoughts on which model? Thanks

They are all basically the same rifle except long or short action and caliber. If it were me I would get a blind mag cheapo and build on that.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    They are all basically the same rifle except long or short action and caliber. If it were me I would get a blind mag cheapo and build on that.
    Ok...I know converting from one to another can be expensive...buying mags and such and I thought one model has a lower release button which can limit stock selection as well. I just want whichever rifle I buy for her to have the widest selection of aftermarket stocks later on.

I'd decide on blind mag, DBM or a AI type system.
    If the first two get a model with that setup, if the latter get, save some money and get a model with a AXIS style mag.
    Bottom bolt release is not a big factor anymore, there is even some current and near future chassis options.
    My custom started with a 11THXP.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelhead View Post
    I'd decide on blind mag, DBM or a AI type system.
    If the first two get a model with that setup, if the latter get, save some money and get a model with a AXIS style mag.
    Bottom bolt release is not a big factor anymore, there is even some current and near future chassis options.
    My custom started with a 11THXP.
    Not sure what AI mag type but as far as box mags aren't the trophy hunters and axis same while the higher end 10/110 series such as weather warrior come with a slightly different box and bottom metal. Does this mean you need to watch out what stocks will work?

Yes
    That way you already have the bottom metal you need.
    The standard DBM is a much better setup and is MUCH better supported by aftermarket stocks than the AXIS mag models.
    AI is aftermarket bottom metal(savage does sell factory guns this way) using Accuracy International mags and If you knew you were going that way the Axis mag model are cheaper.

I'm building an Axis because it's what the wife bought for me. It should work fine for what I need it to do, but were I to start with a platform of my choosing, I would not choose one with a plastic tab on the magazine. I'm sure it will last, it doesn't have to move that far, but it's the one thing that worries me. I love how the Axis action is closed on top, and that flat spot on the back is perfect for custom engraving.
    You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Basic Member
    If I were to do a build, and didn't care whether it was blind or dbm, I'd start with a used 110 action or a blind mag 110 complete rifle. They can be had cheap ($300 or less) and have the most variety of aftermarket stocks and triggers and top bolt release, which is far superior o the bottom bolt release.

If you want new, and like the Accutrigger, you could get the Hog Hunter in .308 and sell the barrel for a good price (maybe $90-100) They also come with top bolt release. Then it's just a matter of finding a .308 in sporter contour used for about $50 or a .260 for maybe $80 (not as common). The .260 is a heck of a shooter and light recoil.

If I didn't care t do a build, and was looking for value, I'd go the Axis route. Heck of a good value, I just don't like the mag.
    Last edited by foxx; 11-30-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    If I were to do a build, and didn't care whether it was blind or dbm, I'd start with a used 110 action or a blind mag 110 complete rifle. They can be had cheap ($300 or less) and have the most variety of aftermarket stocks and triggers and top bolt release, which is far superior o the bottom bolt release.

If you want new, and like the Accutrigger, you could get the Hog Hunter in .308 and sell the barrel for a good price (maybe $90-100) They also come with top bolt release. Then it's just a matter of finding a .308 in sporter contour used for about $50 or a .260 for maybe $80 (not as common). The .260 is a heck of a shooter and light recoil.

If I didn't care t do a build, and was looking for value, I'd go the Axis route. Heck of a good value, I just don't like the mag.
    My wife currently shoots a 243 and while it has killed everything she has shot so far, it has a LOT of no pass throughs on deer. Out of 10 or so deer she has shot in the past few years id say more than half were not pass throughs. In one instance it was a less than desirable shot on a buck, hard quartering got one lung, liver and guts. The buck made it 75 yards but there was not one drop of blood (due to no pass through) making it rather hard to locate, he was found in a very large bush. All her shots have been under 275 yards. I know when it comes to 243 and large deer, bullet choice is key but she said she wanted to step up in caliber with out a HUGE amount of recoil added so I was thinking either 7mm-08 or 308. I think she really just wants a new gun haha. I reload so factory ammo availability is not important (7mm-08) and it means I can tone down the 308 loads a bit if needed for recoil. I am simply trying to buy her a rifle that out of the box shoots well with little to no modification BUT if it doesnt shoot well OR if she wanted in the future to change anything, caliber, stock etc we can and that is why we are choosing savage. There are no gunsmiths around me so rebarreling for myself is a HUGE plus, and I already have the tools from one I built a few months back and dang it shoots AMAZING for cheap. Got the action for free from my brother, 300$ criterion barrel, 250$ B&C stock which isnt even bedded (has aluminum bedding blocks but I have not bedded the rest of the action yet) and the thing shoots dime sized or smaller groups all day long with many different loads.

Basic Member
    Well, you did good. I'm jealous! :)

So you know what to do... Do it again! Get a paid membership here and you'll have plenty of good deals on used actions pop up regularly, especially after Christmas. I'd still go .260 over 308, the right bullet will pass through unlike .243's. I just switched to .260 for deer and have no regrets. I planted a nice buck this year with a broadside shot with 120 gr NBT. It did not a pass thru, but he was moving/walking a good pace when I shot him (180 yards) and he only went 10-20 yards. I chose that bullet hoping it would not pass thru, but do exactly what it did. I am confident a heavier bullet would have passed thru, though, if that's what I wanted. Either way, they are both excellent choices, as is the 7mm-08.