Thread: savage model 30

wolfhowle

savage model 30

trying to find info about early model 30 pump 20 ga
    help please

wolfhowle
    I'm a bit confused .....series a,b,c,d,f......H?
    what model was from 50's or early 60's that had engraved receiver vent rib and DELUX version and the safety was near the trigger?

The series letter just has to do with internal part revisions over the years - Savage did that just so they'd know what replacement parts to use if it ever came back for repair or warranty work. The Model 30 was first offered in 1959 and was discontinued in 1978. Left-hand 12-gauge models were introduced in 1960 as well.

As for features, initially there were only two basic Model 30's - both of which were available in LH (12-ga only) and RH versions. You had the basic Model 30 in 12, 20 and .410 gauge offerings, and the Model 30AC (Adjustable Choke) in 12 and 20-gauge. All featured vent rib barrels, receiver engraving, safety behind the trigger and a hard rubber butt plate (not recoil pad).

In 1963 they introduced a new Model 30T Trap model in 12 and 20-gauge that featured a 30" full choke vent rib barrel and Monte Carlo butt stock with rubber recoil pad.

In 1964 RH 12-gauge models were upgraded to accept 3" magnum shells. (All LH models were 2-3/4" only)

In 1966 they added pressed checking to the butt stock on all models.

1968 was the last year the safety was behind the trigger (1969 for LH models)

In 1969 the Model 30 was redesigned to feature interchangeable barrels and a top-tang thumb safety (left-hand models remained unchanged). Last year for LH models.

In 1971 things changed a bit for the Model 30. The basic Model 30 was replaced by the Model 30 Field Grade (12, 20 and .410 gauge). There was also a new Model 30 Field Grade Slug Gun in 12 and 20-gauge. Both featured a finger groove forearm, pistol grip butt stock with stamped checkering, hard rubber butt plate, top-tang thumb safety, plain receiver (no engraving) and plain barrel (22" with rifle sights on the slug gun). The AC (adjustable choke) was still an option on the standard Field Grade as well. The Model 30D was new for this year and shared all the same features as the Field Grade except it included receiver engraving, vent rib barrel, and rubber recoil pad. The Model 30T shared all the same features as the 30D with the addition of a Monte Carlo butt stock.

The Model 30T Trap gun disappeared from the catalog in 1974.

The AC option on the Model 30FG disappeared from the catalog in 1977.

1978 was the last year the Model 30 was offered.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

wolfhowle

savage model 30

Thank you J. BAKER...that's the most info so far..... I'm over 60 yrs old now . My Grand DAD gave me the Model 30 back in about 1967 but it was stolen in about 1976.
    That broke my heart.!!!!! I'm trying to find out what model it was cause I would like another one. I carried it enough to know what it had.( 20 ga ,vent rib , engraving on receiver of pheasants or grouse , checkered on butt grip and bottom of forearm , and safety near the trigger.) Grand DAD said it was a old gun when he gave it to me in 1967. what confuses me is pics I see of model 30H
    with the safety by the trigger !!!! are there any charts showing years of each series? thanks for all your help!!!!!!!! BTW what model was before the 30?????
    BRADLEY (wolfhowle)

I think the 67 and 77 was prior to the 30 but don't quote me on that.
    Savage- "never say never".

wolfhowle
    everything I see show the model 67 & 77 with serial numbers(started in 1968) so I assume they are after model 30 (1958 to 1978)

Not sure where your looking?

When the 77's first came out they didn't even have serial numbers, first catalogued in 1954, long before the 30's.

In fact I went through the 1958 and 1959 catalogs and still don't see a model 30, not sure where you got your numbers from.

1958 was the first year listed in my Blue Book of Gun Values as 1961 is the oldest catalog I have other than one from the 40's and one from the 30's. Somewhere I had found an old article or posting about the LH 30's that stated 1960 was the first year for them, which is also the year we dated mine back to. Everything else I posted above is based on going through all of my catalogs.

I'm thinking the 67's were after the 30's but I could be wrong. I know there was a Model 69 later on in the early/mid 1980's which I think was just an updated (aka cheapened up) Model 67 for the most part.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'd go with the 1960 start date, it's catalogued in 1960 but not the 58 or 59 catalogs. The 77 is also still catalogued in the 1960 as well.

wolfhowle
    Last edited by wolfhowle; 11-26-2014 at 02:14 AM.

wolfhowle
    I think the early model is the only one that had receiver engraved on both sides AND the safety near the trigger..sure wish I could see pics...

Your right it is in the 1959 catalog, not sure how I missed it.

So by way of manufacture it was the model 77, then the 30 and then the 67.

If I get time to go through my catalogs again later I'll see which year they stopped engraving and moved the safety.

wolfhowle
    thanks mad dog....... interesting info.
    my granddad give me mine in about 1967( I was 13) so I can only go from memory cause it was stolen in 1974-75.
    it had engraved receiver ,vent rib , the larger forearm with checkering on bottom...AND safety near trigger.
    I am assuming it was a model 30. thanks

They changed from the bottom safety to the top tang safety in 1969.

From what I saw going through all the catalogs is that the model 30 is basically a model 77 except it came with added features like the engraving and checkering. In 1969 they also added the checkering to the 77's buttstock.

What really caught my eye is the fact that Savage states that the barrels on the "NEW" model 30 (1969) are interchangeable. Now it's got me kinda interested in building a set with a model 30 although I find it really hard to believe you could take a 12 gauge barrel off and just install a 410 barrel on the same action, that's a big difference.

wolfhowle
    I don't think the "interchangeable" mean diff gauge...just barrel with diff chokes. my early model 30 I had, didn't have the thumb nob to remove barrel.
    btw thanks for more info maddog.
    Last edited by wolfhowle; 11-26-2014 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhowle View Post
    I don't think the "interchangeable" mean diff gauge...just barrel with diff chokes. my early model 30 I had, didn't have the thumb nob to remove barrel.
    btw thanks for more info maddog.
    Yep, only same gauge barrels with different lengths and/or chokes similar to the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series shotguns. However, I don't know if the barrels were universal fit to all receivers like for those guns, or if they had to be matched to the receiver like some others did.

Well that makes a whole lot more sense to me.

I was thinking they meant you could swap out different gauge barrels like an early model 220.

BTW, now that I hit that subject, why did Savage start using the same model numbers from years ago again just lately?

Take the 220 single shot shotgun from way back when and then they make a 20 ga slug gun and name it the same thing, Or the old Savage model 25 pump action rimfire and then they use the same model designation for a single shot bolt rifle nowadays, are they really out of numbers or trying to just confuse the crap out of people on the internet?

Not trying to "highjack" the thread, but is there a list somewhere to check the serial number of a Stevens/Savage shotgun to find out the year?
    My Daughter has a Model 30c in 20 gauge and I have a model 67e in 12 gauge.
    "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not certain about the Universe." - Albert Einstein.

I'll take a shot at it if they're A series numbers.

What are the serial numbers. if they're not A series you might have to find the date codes on the barrels.

The Model 30 is series C and my 67 is series E.
    Where on the barrels would I look for the date codes?
    "Only two things are infinite, human stupidity and the Universe. And I'm not certain about the Universe." - Albert Einstein.

Are there no serial numbers on the guns?

Then try to find a small oval stamp with a number and a letter inside of it, I'll need the letter.

Oh crap......Sorry man.
    The model 30 is series C and the serial number is B412897.
    The model 67 is series E and the serial number is E525176.
    I found the oval stamp on my 67, but I cannot read the number or letter. I cannot find the oval on the 30.
    Last edited by phinfan; 12-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.

1973 and 1985.

SWEET!!!
    Thanks!!