Thread: 11/111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag...I need help deciding

Gunmonkey

11/111 Long Range Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag...I need help deciding

I an torn between the 11/111 LRH and Remington's 700 Long Range. I can get the Remington for $650 at my local gun dealer, but I haven't priced the Savage yet. I hear good things about both rifles, but some bad things too. I was hoping to get some input from real Savage owners in general and 11/111 LRH owners specifically about the pros and cons of this rifle. And, if there are any owners of both, your unbiased opinions would be most welcome.

Gunmonkey
    Anybody???

Basic Member
    Bump. I'm debating purchasing the LRH in the same caliber as well. Would be interested to hear what everyone has to say about it.

Gunmonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Model12BVSS View Post
    Bump. I'm debating purchasing the LRH in the same caliber as well. Would be interested to hear what everyone has to say about it.
    They ain't talking.

But, in any case, I am starting to lean toward the LRH in 7mm Rem Mag. I suspect I can get it from my local FFL holder for <$850. Then I'm going to call my local gunsmith, who happens to be a Vortex dealer and see if he can cut me a deal on a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 (Mil Dot). I'll go with a Picatinny rail and Burris Zee rings (medium?).

The purpose of the rifle is for deer hunting out to 500-600 yards. I hunt a large field within walking distance from my house, and I will be hunting from an enclosed tower stand with shooting windows. Yardage will be pre-measured to certain landmarks to eliminate the need for a range finder. It hasn't been built yet, but it will have skids so I can move it around with my tractor. Yeah, I know it sounds lazy, but what do you want me to do, stalk them with a long bow? It could be worse, I can hunt from my kitchen window, but my wife doesn't like the loud noise my rifle makes when I shoot deer while she's trying to cook breakfast.

I only hunt mature bucks, unless I just don't see any and it starts to get late in the season. We do eat what we shoot, and normally one mature buck is enough for my wife, myself and my son. Georgia has a long season with liberal bag limits. You're allowed 2 bucks and about 8 does. I use a trial camera to get an idea of what kinds of bucks are roaming around, and try to wait for the big one. One always shows up every season, but I don't always get him and have to settle for a lesser buck, and sometimes even a big doe when the bucks are just too small.

I used to hunt from a climbing stand, but as I got older I moved to a lean-to stand. Now, this off-season I'm building a tower stand that I can park out in the field. A heater, swivel seat and a radio and I'll be good to go.

I haven't even started to think about load development yet.

If you see any problems with my rifle/scope choices I'd be glad to hear from you. Also, I'm looking for some ideas on where to start in my load development.

Gunmonkey
    Anyone shooting the 7mm Rem Mag LRH, does the muzzle brake do a good job in reducing recoil? I would like to be able to keep the deer in the scope after the shot.

Nandy
    Well, since no one else chimes in.... My set up is not the same as what you mention and I have never own a Remington.... But depending on when do you want to start using the rifle, you might be better off building your own from either a new or used 110 savage action (I have done it both ways) which is what I did. If you want to use it this season (assuming yours end in jan 1 or close to that) then you will have to buy a package, however if you can wait to use it for next season building your own is very doable.
    I shot a 110 Action with a SAV-2 trigger, Brux (SSS) 7MM RM, 1-9, 26", Varmint Barrel fitted with a SSS Brake. The scope is a Leupold VX3 4.5x10x50. I shoot inside the 300 yds (longest kill was over 300 but close) and almost every time I can see the deer go down thru my scope. Now, my rig is a whooping 14 lbs so that helps too. Our hunting is similar to what you describe, out of shooting boxes in a power line ridge.

The msrp for that LRH was over $1k although I am sure in reality it might be cheaper...

A 110 action (from a donor rifle) will run you around $250 to $300. (sell here what you dont need from the donor rifle)
    A good quality barrel with a brake will be around $350
    A boyd stock ( I have 2) will run your around $100, add about $30 if you bed it yourself (if needed)
    A SSS trigger will run you about $100 BUT if the action you get comes with an accutrigger then you can save that.
    A match recoil lug $25 (might as well do hat if you are doing all of the above).

Yeah, you will be close or over your initial expense but you will have a rifle that will shoot way beyond the 600 without problem and accurate! When I do my part this gun shoots about .6 at 200, with 2 round touching each other. Since then I have make the group smaller but not consistently, probably shooter problem.... That has the potential to do under 3 inches at 600 yards (depending on shooter probably better)... You cant buy the piece of mind that a well built gun (for the budget and use) will bring a shooter. I know when I pick that gun that if it is a miss it was all me...

good luck with whatever you decide....

Westcliffe01
    Unless you shoot from a standing position, you want a brake with no ports on the bottom (unless you like yourself and your optics covered in debris blown up from the ground). I personally have not found the small diameter round brakes to be very effective at anything other than being louder than hell either,

If you go Remington, expect to have to replace the trigger ($100 for s Shilen to $250 for a Jewel). If you get one with a plastic stock, expect to have to replace the stock too, they are junk. The same applies to plastic Savage stocks except for the accustock models which are quite good for a walking rifle. If you turn out to have a bad barrel on your Remington, its going to run you close to $600 minimum to get a replacement and have it installed and thats without any action work. With a Savage, that job is much cheaper and you don't need a smith to help you as long as you have some sense.

I have owned both and the truth is that I have gotten rid of my last Remington a couple of years ago. If more companies made good triggers for the Savage and if the parts problem from Savage could be resolved after what seems like 3 years now, there would be very little reason at all to even consider a Remington.

Basic Member
    +1 Nandy.

Doing my first custom build, couldn't think of doing anything else again. Great fun, learning a lot. Bought a 111 and took it apart immediately. Now a McGowen 6.5mm barrel (0.70" at muzzle) at SSS for bedding on their Monte Carlo sporter.

I have a sporter barrel Rem 700, my 1st rifle more than 30 years ago. Has a Leupold low profile 50mm objective on it. No complaints. Also have a Savage short action 24" long range hunter that came out of the Savage custom shop. Swarovski Z5 on it. No complaints.

Piecing a project has been enjoyable, plus each component is acquired at my pocketbook leisure.

452b300
    Since your only hunting to 5 or 6 hundred yards and shooting deer, Cabelas had the LRH in 6.5x284 on sale for 699.00 just a couple of weeks ago.