Thread: Keep it and build, or start over?

Volstandigkeit

Keep it and build, or start over?

I've got a stainless steel 114 American Classic in 30-06, that I'm torn on the direction to go with it. I'm not fond of detachable magazines in hunting rifles, as they can fall out, if you're not mindful. I actually had that happen yesterday morning, as I was exiting the utv to walk in to my stand, so I can finally admit that it happens. As a result, I really would like to go back to a hinged floor plate design. In order to do that, however, that will also require changing the bolt release to a top release configuration. That moves me to my next desire, which is to convert it to a 7X57 Mauser. I'm just more fond of 7mm cartridges. So, considering I'm looking at a new stock, HFP configuration, and top bolt release, would it be blasphemous to completely change this rifle, or would I be better off selling it, and replace it with a new rifle? I've already got this one, but I'm torn on what to do with it.

Blasphemous??!!

1) Who's rifle is it? Do what you want with YOUR rifle, the rest can take a hike.
    2) Your grapes of Wrath Quote of the Day: "There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do. It's all part of the same thing." :)
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I guess I'm just lazy, I would find a rifle that has the hinged floor plate.

Volstandigkeit
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Blasphemous??!!

1) Who's rifle is it? Do what you want with YOUR rifle, the rest can take a hike.
    2) Your grapes of Wrath Quote of the Day: "There ain't no sin and there ain't no virtue. There's just stuff people do. It's all part of the same thing." :)
    For a time, I had had a few offers for the rifle, because of it being an AC. That's really the only reason I wondered if it would be a sin. I've probably already taken away from its collectable value, as I redid the stock with linseed oil, and replaced the plastic grip and forend caps with ebony, then recut the checkering.

But, I like a challenge, and Inalready have the rifle, so why not make it what I want it to be!

JCalhoun
    Volst,

Save your time, money and patience and start over with a rifle that has the hinged floor plate. Then it's just a simple rebarreling job to get the 7mm Mauser you desire.

Volstandigkeit
    Quote Originally Posted by JCalhoun View Post
    Volst,

Save your time, money and patience and start over with a rifle that has the hinged floor plate. Then it's just a simple rebarreling job to get the 7mm Mauser you desire.
    As I'm doing my homework, I'm figuring out very quickly that you have hit the nail on the head with regards to time, money and aggravation. I'm already aggravated just trying to source everything.