Thread: I've though about it for years, and I finally pulled the trigger.

RiverRider

I've though about it for years, and I finally pulled the trigger.

First post here. I found this forum seeking answers about mounts for a rifle I've just snagged off Gunbroker. Decided to sign up and log on.

I've never been a Savage owner. I'm a bolt-action fan, and frankly I always found the Savage 110 and descendants to be rather homely. I've had a Savage or two acquired in trades and never kept them very long. I always have been intrigued by the reputation for accuracy the 10/110 rifles have earned over the years and had a feeling I'd break down and get one for my own someday.

When I saw the Model 14/114 American Classics a couple of years ago I knew I could no longer NOT be a Savage owner. Very recently I found a stunningly gorgeous Model 14 in .223 Remington and pounced all over it. It will be in my hands in about two weeks.

The original question pertained to what style of bases were correct for this rifle. I've already found the answer to that.

I do wonder though...on the outside of the box it says "bolt and kit enclosed" and I am wondering what the "kit" is. Somewhere I have seen mention of scope mounting bases being included with Savage rifles, but maybe that was in another time.

So here she is...

Ain't she a beauty?!!

Welcome to the forum and the Savage tribe!
    I have to admit, even though I am a loyal Savage devotee, I'd say the words "stunningly gorgeous" and "Savage" are rarely used in the same sentence. But in your case, it's entirely appropriate. That's one handsome rifle.
    The "kit" they refer to is basically just a big clunky trigger lock, owners manual and other paperwork, earplugs, and a trigger adjusting tool. I've only seen mounts included on the package guns with scopes.

RiverRider
    Thanks barrel-nut.

I was very surprised when I looked at the images myself. I would have been happy to find this model with ordinary straight-grained walnut. Even buying Model 70 Winchesters, you gotta go with a Super Grade to get grain like that. I'm usually the very last guy to be in *just the right place at just the right time,* but I think I pulled it off this time.

Thanks for the info, too!

Team Savage
    Welcome to the site

RiverRider
    I thank ye, drybean.

Welcome
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.