Thread: SAV-2 trigger Issue

SJA223

SAV-2 trigger Issue

I attempted to install a new Sav-2 trigger on my Savage model 12 22-250 with the Accu-trigger. It's the newer partially assembled version they offer. When I attempted to mount it to the action the holes for the sear pin did not align due to the trigger not sitting flush against the action. Even with the sear not attached it would not shut flush. Its just a tad off and possibly could be honed but I'm not comfortable doing that. To say I'm disappointed and annoyed is an understatement.

Basic Member
    Although not having experienced this with mine, I seem to recall a thread somewhere on this exact issue. Best I can recall, Rifle Basix was contacted and a replacement was sent right out.
    I know for a fact that you're not the first person with this issue. try a search.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

They will be happy to help you. They have great customer service.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

reynoldsfamily3
    I had the same problem, returned the trigger and the new one fit easily. I even lost a spring and they sent me two for free. Their customer service is outstanding.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I found out in the process, the action where the front pin is inserted in not 100% machined perfectly. Yes, I was more than surprised to hear this. After talking to several people and me talking to the customer, I agreed to install it for him. I had no idea what I was going to run into. If you look closely, some of the surfaces on the Action are not 100% polished. They (Savage) even stated their may be a .002 to .008 difference between actions. Just enough for the Rifle Basix pin not to fit easily. It's usually tight to begin with.

Anyway, I received his action and the trigger. Luckly he was smart enough not to force anything. I did NOT ream or drill anything on any parts. But I did get the trigger installed and set the three adjustments including setting the trigger @ 1.40lbs as per customers specs.

By the way, the factory trigger was very tight, and I tried 2 other triggers, all had the same issue. That's the reason for the research. I admit, I almost gave up! But there's a little trick a birdie put in my ear and the pin slipped in. The trigger action was very smooth. The customer put his rifle together and emailed me telling everything was perfect.

Your welcome to send the action and your trigger and I will be happy to install it. I have plenty backups if needed. I promise no reaming or drilling.

Dennis Haffner
    www.mcgowenoutlet.com

michaelnel
    I have installed two SAV-2s, both had that same problem. I filed them to fit. Drop-in my *&^.

Basic Member
    I guess I just got lucky, mine fit without any problem. Kind of makes my smile!

I also found out the actions at the pin mounting point has anywhere from a .002 to .008 difference. I couldn't believe it when I read it, but it was there in black and white. I guess when you make millions of actions, they can't be all perfect.

Dennis

Basic Member
    Actually, according to the print there is .008" tolerance from the front end, .005" from the center line of the bore, and the hole size has a tolerance of .003". But....that's just what the print says, in reality it may be worse.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Actually, according to the print there is .008" tolerance from the front end, .005" from the center line of the bore, and the hole size has a tolerance of .003". But....that's just what the print says, in reality it may be worse.
    Exactly, I was told if all parts were built to Space Shuttle Quality, they would be too expensive to sell/buy.

This is probably one reason Fred will only install his Evolution Trigger him self is because of the tolerances.

Dennis