Thread: 2 piece scope mounts?

Protocol

2 piece scope mounts?

I recently purchased a Savage 10 and have seen pictures online of 2 piece picatiny scope bases to mount scope to.
    i don't know why but I just seem to like the 2 piece over the one piece. Can anyone suggest where and what make to look into. I am mounting a 4 X 16 X 40mm scope. Also, if any of you feel this is a mistake please advise accordingly with one piece suggestions.

Basic Member
    Flatback or round back?

Basic Member
    I would like to understand the application you have in mind for this rifle. If you're looking to shoot long distances, +400 yards, there are definite advantages to 2 piece mounting arrangements. If you're looking for "minute of bad guy, minute of deer, minute of feral hog" accuracy, the one piece rigs will make scope installation quite a bit easier, and the inability to make a "several inches of change in POI" will not effect your fun time in the field. So, tell us what your objectives are with this rifle and we can give you better input.

Protocol
    I hate to should stupid but I am new to this game. I be using it 90% of the time for long range target shooting but I would also like to use it for deer hunting.

Protocol
    This is a new platform to me so please explain so I can answer your question properly.

Protocol
    I did search online, my firearm is round back.

Basic Member
    protocol, this is NOT an issue of "stupid!" You're looking for recommendations from the Forum members; that's not stupid, that's smart. If you are going to be using your rifle 90% of the time for long range target shooting, I would recommend that you go with a two piece mount to give yourself the maximum flexibility in scope adjustment.

D.ID
    ........mikein........How on earth do figure a two piece increases versatility? Don't mean that to sound like an attack, (honest question) because I would recommend the opposite for the same reason.
    A one piece picitiny mount allows you to place your rings anywhere across the bridge and I have had to take off two piece mounts and switch to singles to gain versatility.
    I would recommend a one piece mount for the added flexibility and guaranteed alignment. Probably a 20moa canted base if your planning on long range.

Quote Originally Posted by D.ID View Post
    ........mikein........How on earth do figure a two piece increases versatility? Don't mean that to sound like an attack, (honest question) because I would recommend the opposite for the same reason.
    A one piece picitiny mount allows you to place your rings anywhere across the bridge and I have had to take off two piece mounts and switch to singles to gain versatility.
    I would recommend a one piece mount for the added flexibility and guaranteed alignment. Probably a 20moa canted base if your planning on long range.
    I second this. An EGW 20 MOA one piece would be my recommendation. With good solid rings like the Burris Extreme tactical style.

Basic Member
    Well, you guys may know best. I have a couple of shooting buddies that shoot at insanely long distances and they both use 2 piece mounts. They use Ivey RT 150's that give them 150MOA adjustment range. Quite expensive, from what I understand, but these guys have more money invested in their long range scopes and mounts than I do in my old pick-up truck.

Basic Member
    I recently purchased a warne one piece 20 moa base for my win 70. Very happy with the quality of it. The egw's I've used do the job but I really like the steel warne.

Only two piece I've used are the cheap weavers. Didn't realize there was some quality options in that department

Basic Member
    mikein,
    Just looked up the Ivey RT-150 scope rings you spoke of, interesting, but Ivey does not list a base on their website.
    Just as you said, they are exspensive, (500.00+).

Protocol,
    As far as the one piece ver two piece base I would think that with a short action (model 10) you would be ok with a two piece, but perhaps a bit limited. Can't offer direct knowledge on this as I own only long actions (model 110) and with long actions you need a one piece, or at least I did.
    Last edited by olddav; 11-16-2014 at 11:16 AM.

2 piece scope mounts?

If your heart is set on two-piece picatinny style mounts, I've had good luck with these. I'd still recommend a one-piece 20 MOA base if you plan on shooting past 500 or so.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...versible-front

Protocol
    Thanks to everyone's incite. I can't afford $500.00 for a base, to be honest even if I could I don't think I would.
    from what I have read it seems regardless I need a 20MOA base.

This..
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/373...ProductFinding
    Or this..
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315...t-action-matte
    Are both good choices. Warne, Nightforce, and others make more expensive models.

Protocol
    Thanks barrel-nut I will check these out

Protocol
    I just order a Nightforce 20MOA short action base for my Savage 10P, read many reviews and this one seems rock solid.
    Made of steel not aluminum.

2 piece scope mounts?

They are indeed rock solid. I was mildly disappointed with the dull finish on mine, but I guess that goes with their "tactical" theme. Their ultralight rings are very nice as well. The steel ones are nice too, but very heavy compared to the aluminum ones.
    The rail also lacks an integral recoil stop, so as to be compatible with the Target actions. Some of the cheaper rails have this feature, and I like it for use on a non-Target action.

Protocol
    Nightforce bases do not have recoil lugs? I could have swore I read online they did. Hmmm now I have to reconsider.

Mine do not.

Just double-checked on one I have on hand. The part #A168, has no integral recoil lug. Still a quality piece, but I don't think I'll be spending that much $$ on another one. The Weavers are the best value, IMHO. Or the EGW's. Nothing wrong with aluminum.

LongRange
    I run murphy precision one piece 20moa bases on my riffles, they are a little spendy at $125 but once you see it mount it and shoot with it youll know why they are spendy.

D.ID
    I run the weaver brand "picitiny" 20moa one piece rail with recoil lug on all of mine. About $40+/- and while I have to cut the front two "extended" lugs off, they are still my favorite and an exceptional value.

Basic Member
    20 MOA Warne and Nightforce rails on my stuff with 30mm Warne Extream rings using Sightron scopes. You couldn't give me a 2 piece base.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)