Thread: savage 7mm bull barrel with muzzle break

matthewps91

savage 7mm bull barrel with muzzle break

I have not located and am wondering if savage makes a 7mm with a bull barrel that comes with a muzzle break? I had a bull barrel fluted stainless back in 2001 and sold it, mistake I know.. and am interested in purchaseing a new one, but would like this one to have a muzzle brake.. with the heavy barrel there isn't very much kick.. want no kick.. if one is not made with a break could a gun smith put a break on a bull barrel?? also want a trigger that has 1/2 to3/4 pound!! my friend has a 308 with a heavy barrel with a muzzlebrake and man it has a 1/2 pound trigger and ismsweet although it isn't a savage...... thanks:)

I dont have any barrels with brakes, but Im not sure why you couldnt get a heavier contour threaded for one. Not quite sure about a full bull barrel...those are about 1.25 @ the muzzle. Jim at Apache gun works offers threading a barrel for a break as do most places, not sure if you're wanting to buy the rifle or the barrel. Rifle basix offers a trigger in the 8oz range (this is off the top of my head so dont quote me on it), several others do as well. Some of the other guys on here can provide more knowledge on the models of complete rifles that may offer that, but as far as a rebarrel job and getting those specifics I dont see that it would be much of a problem.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

D.ID
    A brake on a bull barrel is no problem and just like putting a brake on any other barrel, I have several.
    A standard savage bull (still using the barrel nut) is closer to 1" for a small shank and 1 1/8 for the large shank actions.
    As far as I know they have had varmint profiles on the 112bvss and the old 110 tactical but a full bull in 7mm was in all likelihood a custom and would almost certainly require a new one be made, rather than just bought factory.
    Fortunately that is very easy to do. Savage prefit barrels are easy to get in whatever size you want and very easy to assemble.
    Thats why so many folks choose to "build". You have come to the right place if your looking to learn how to do that............Welcome aboard.

matthewps91
    thanks guys for the input. very much appreciated..as looking around the barrel will be easy to find.. I was rally just wanting to buy the whole gun already to go, but I think putting one together wont be much of an issue.. that rifle basix info is a big help.. thanks again guys!!

reynoldsfamily3
    I've got Jim at Apache making me a 7 mag in heavy varmint contour with a threaded barrel; I'm sure he could make a threaded 7 mag bull barrel and you get whatever length you want. I am really enjoying the building process, and you can pick the best of each item for your specific purpose not what the factory thinks you need.

matthewps91
    hey ,Reynolds family 3 could you give me a call at your convenience?936-240-6505

matthewps91
    ok, great .. talked to jim at apache gun works today . he is going to do the barrel a 30" bull barrel plus put on the muzzle brake.. be in a 1 in 9" twist total barrel length will be somewhere around 32 inches with brake.. now can any body tell me where I can get a savage 110 stock that accommodates a bull barrel.?.

Sounds like you'll have a winner! I've got my first barrel from him on the way and I cant wait to shoot it. As far as stocks go, it kinda depends on what you want to spend. Ive got the the choate tactical on my 280AI, its got a full length aluminum bedding block and it will hold a full bull barrel. Its pretty heavy though, but you said you wanted no recoil, that would add to recoil reduction. Its pretty reasonable, in the $200 range. You can check out boyds gun stocks, or stockys stocks, they should have just about anything you would want, and fit just about any price range. I got my stock from E Arthur Brown and company, cheapest place I found it at the time.
    Scooter

D.ID
    I would strongly second the choate tactical. That is allot of barrel and your going to want a really strong foundation under it and the choate is a very strong foundation.
    I have a couple of Jim's barrels now and am supremely confident you will not be disappointed.

Skip the muzzle brake, go suppressor.

Here's my latest 7mm build.

"Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Awesome! Gimme some specs please!
    Scooter

Here's the rifle specifics. LH 116 center feed long action. Factory DBM. Boyds Tacticool stock in pepper laminate. Threaded stainless 24" McGowan heavy magnum contour 9" twist 7mm Mag barrel. EGW 20MOA base. 30mm Burris Signature Zee rings. B-Square rail mount level. Harris knock-off swivel bipod (saving for Atlas). Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NP-R2. YHM Stainless Phantom M2 .30 Cal. Suppressor.
    Last edited by geargrinder; 11-20-2014 at 01:19 AM.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Thanks for the info! I really like the rifle! Sending you a PM as i dont wanna high jack the thread
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by matthewps91 View Post
    I have not located and am wondering if savage makes a 7mm with a bull barrel that comes with a muzzle break? I had a bull barrel fluted stainless back in 2001 and sold it, mistake I know.. and am interested in purchaseing a new one, but would like this one to have a muzzle brake.. with the heavy barrel there isn't very much kick.. want no kick.. if one is not made with a break could a gun smith put a break on a bull barrel?? also want a trigger that has 1/2 to3/4 pound!! my friend has a 308 with a heavy barrel with a muzzlebrake and man it has a 1/2 pound trigger and ismsweet although it isn't a savage...... thanks:)
    I have a model 116 7mm with what looks like a heavy, contoured, fluted barrel and a factory muzzle brake. It's not a bull barrel like on my Sendero, but looks heavier than a standard barrel; it has a standard 7/8" (0.875") barrel nut. I believe is is stock from the factory; then again, I'm new to Savages. Just FYI.

Mike
    Last edited by Big Mike; 11-22-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: typo