Thread: Advice on 7mm-08

GreybeardGunner

Advice on 7mm-08

Hi

Does anyone have any knowledge of this caliber? I'm thinking of trading my Marlin 30.30 for a buddy's rifle, but would like to hear from someone who has used it. Also....WHAT is the difference between a Savage Edge and Savage Axis?? His is an Edge....

Thanks,
    Shawn

To me, the 7mm08 is the ideal balance between stopping power and recoil. It's big (and fast) enough for all north american big game and the recoil is still mild (to moderate, depending on your reference point).

I have an Axis in 7mm08 upgraded with a Boyds stock which is my go-to hunting rifle for deer.

There's no difference between the Edge and the Axis. The name was changed shortly after Savage released the Edge because of trademark conflict.

Good luck with your Edge/Axis!
    (and hello from a fellow Canadian exiled in California)

Basic Member
    7mm-08 is a wonderful round. There are tons of bullets from very light for coyote to heavy target bullets, and a great selection of hunting bullets in the middle ground. Good for any game you might want to go for. I personally stick with 139/140gr bullets for deer/elk (lead core for deer, Barnes TSX or Hornady GMX for elk)

7-08 is a great hunting caliber for any medium sized big game. Lots of great bullets available in 7mm. I've had better luck with load development with my 7-08 than my 7-mag too, and at the ranges at which I hunt, 0-300 yds, it kills just as well. I've had little trouble exceeding published velocities without exceeding published maximum loads with this caliber too. I've gotten 2925 fps with 140's, which is plenty enough for anything that walks around here. One thing to watch for, if you intend get a Savage, is that a few years back Savage built their 7-08's with 1-11" twist barrels, which gave a lot of people, including me, trouble with accuracy using 140gr and heavier bullets. I'd definitely stick with a 1-9 or 9 1/2" twist for better results. Doubtless, someone will chime in here and crow about how great their 11twist barrel shoots 120 grain bullets. But those who've been on this forum for a while probably remember that there were many threads on here with people getting very frustrated with their new rifles shooting all over the place for no apparent reason, only to find that they had an 11 twist that didn't like the bullets they intended to hunt with. I pulled mine and replaced it with a 9 twist with much better results.

Team Savage
    These guys are all right. The 7mm-08 is a great medium game rifle. I have taken multiple mule deer and even one time, somewhat, against my better judgment I shot a cow elk at about 200 yards. It was just as dead as if I would have shot it with my big magnums. I guess maybe the elk didn't get the message that we are only supposed to use magnum calibers to hunt them. The 140 grain has been on of my favorite deer rifles and I to can reach that 3000fps mark with very minimal muzzle report and recoil . Go ahead and grab yourself one. You will be glad you did in the end.

Basic Member
    Great cartridge !! Lots of factory ammo......excellent die/component selection.....

Have used my Tikka on deer & elk with good results...Nosler 160 gr AB's & H414
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !