Thread: My First Post Here....Savage 110.

Aligater

My First Post Here....Savage 110.

First, this is my first post. I am 81 years old. I have been kind of a rifle nut all my life, but I have never owned a Savage. Last week I bought a 110DL. I bought it for my son who had the audacity to be born left handed. The serial number is 1073XX, and I think it was made in 1968. It has a fixed (screwed in) floorplate, I'm told that Savage did this because their first hinged floorplates did not work right and they had thousands of stocks already drilled for floorplates, so they just put in the fixed version. I took the stock off and the insert at the bottom of the magazine spring fell out. I think it was just made to be held in place by the floorplate screws............the rifle seems in good condition. I paid $400.....I would like to know all I can find out about this rifle. I think it's supposed to be accurate. I think 1968 was supposed to be one of Savage's good years, but I don't know. As I said, I have never owned a Savage before. I was just desperate to find a left handed bolt.......any and all information will be appreciated.......Thank You.

Aligater

No letter prefix on the serial number means it was made before November 1968 as that's when Savage started using the prefix (to designate guns made after the enactment of the Gun Control Act of 1968). The info you have on the floorplate is correct, and it should be plenty accurate assuming it wasn't Bubba'd by a previous owner at some point.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain