Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top best & worst rifle scopes

Basic Member

Ive been doing some research and Im going with a Mepota MeoStar® R1 3-12x56 for that late afternoon shot on a Carolina HOG!!!!!

Basic Member
    I am new to target shooting, I finally took my model 10 Precision .308 with a Burris Veracity 2-10X42 scope to the range and 3 shots, 12 clicks to the left, 4 clicks down and I was taking the center out of the target. The Burris is sharp, clear and adjusted perfectly.
    Last edited by GeoBoy; 08-13-2015 at 11:31 PM.

Team Savage
    Over the years I have played with numerous scopes that I could afford at the time. I started with Simmons, Leupold VX-1, Leupold VX-II, Sightron SII, Burris Elite and Timberline, Bushnell 3200 and 4200, Muller, Nikon Buckmaster, Leupold VX-2, Sightron SII Big Sky, Leupold VX-3, Vortex Viper, Leupold VX-R and Sightron SIII. After many years of buying and re-selling mid-range priced scopes, my muzzleloader, hunting and varmint rifles all wear Leupold VX-2 and Leupold VX-3's scopes with CDS dials. I also have one Sightron SII Big Sky and one Sightron SIII. For the money, the Sightron SII Big Sky and SIII are hard to beat. None of the scopes I've owned will hold resale value better than a Leupold or have a better lifetime warranty if, or when you need it. For many years, I would not own a Leupold because the VX-1, VX-II and VX-III were optical junk when compared to the competition. That changed for me with the introduction of the newer Leupold VX-2 and VX-3 models. And with the advent of accurate range finders, the Leupold CDS dial is usually spot on compared to trying to figure out busy mildot, ballistic plex, Nikon bubbles, varmint and BDC reticles. I don't like the looks of plastic scope caps, or branding labels all over my scope tube. I do like the light, compact, classic looks of a Leupold with alumina flip up lens caps sitting on top an accurate Savage rifle dressed in a nicely finished walnut or laminate wood stock. Of course, I am close to being classified as an "old f&*%". So to each their own.
    Last edited by jpdown; 08-14-2015 at 10:28 AM.

Basic Member
    Im not as concerned over the scopes i use for shooting as i am the ones i use for hunting.
    I consider prairie dogs shooting, not hunting. Most of my scopes are older Leupolds some of which
    have had at least an elevation knob installed at the factory. I dont require lots of power even at very long distances.
    As a rule im not over 12x which tends to make the optics clearer. I have 3 older straight 12x vx3s which suit me just fine.
    Also 3 older 3.5x10 vx3s and a few old 3x9vx2s. All have knobs for dialing. Optic clarity isnt an issue as much on lower power.
    I own 1 8x25 leupold which sits on a 20 #300 Norma. That gun/scope sees most of the use for us when hunting.
    I also own 1 8x32 nightforce nxs which sits on a custom actioned 338 big baer. We dont use our scopes for anything but shooting.
    For hunting/ finding game, we use very large tripod mounted binnoculars mostly made by us using 2 spotting scopes.
    We must count points in PA and we can do that even at a mile with decent conditions. So given as to what we do and how we do it,
    the actual optic quality of the scope needent be best of the best. It just needs to show up for work (every) time its asked.

Strutnut
    I have looked through a lot of low end glass in my day. I am getting a dedicated long range rig. Savage LRH in 300 win mag. I have decided to brake away from SFP scoped and going the FFP route. I am likely going to get the Burris XTR II with SCR on it. Likely mil/mil but possible moa, we shall see. The cope will likely be more than the cost of the gun if not about the same. I have looked at many in that 1000 give or take a few hundred range. SFP and FFP. I think if I got a sweet deal on an NXS I might switch back to SFP but right now that Burris XTR II is getting great reviews and has a lot of features for the money. The Bushnells LRHS are a very close second. Im done with cheap, now just moving into the lower middle. I dont have 4k to throw at a Tangent Theta or that would be the best. Nightforce ATACR F1's are also very good as are the Vortex Gen II's. There is a lot of weight on those but its a hell of a lot of scope too.

I'm pretty new to the world of optics but here's my two cents. I just did a lot of reading and purchased my first scope for my rifle. The two questions you need to ask yourself is what am I going to to be doing with this rifle and how much do I want to spend. for my purposes I went with the primary arms 4x14x. I really like this scope and it didn't break the bank. If I had a little more to spend I think I would have gone with the SWFA 3x15 everyone raves about them In the reviews and there not crazy expensive. Find your need, set your budget, do some reading and ask a lot of questions.

Team Savage
    PA makes good scopes.

danielFL
    I wont even some that you guys metioned on my rimfires. for ME my list is based on ownership. I own many Vortex crossfire up to gen 2 razor 1-6, also own a US optics 1.5-6 (sr-6). I have shot behind many many higher end (3+K scopes) and I don't think ANYONE beats US optics $ for $. I personally ring steel with my Us optics at 650 yrds time to time with my 204 ruger AR. that being said OP need to tell us the purpose behind the optics.

Optics are NOT a place to cheap out, you WILL get mad at the gun or not enjoy the range time and it will sit. buy once cry once

Basic Member
    U.S. Optics is my favorite. I have an SN4 1.5-6, and two SN3 3.3-22x FFP MOA/MOA. Awesome glass, but heavy scopes. The SN3s' have taken me out to 1760 yards multiple times and are by far the best tracking scopes I own. I have not owned any Nightforce, but I would not hesitate to use their optics. My low end rifles wear Leupys VX-Patrols.
    Be careful of what you wish for, and always be mindful of what others are trying to accomplish

Basic Member
    Sounds to me like Russ used good logic for his first scope purchase.
    No doubt if and when the time ever comes, he will use the same logic
    when buying the next one.

Basic Member
    It depends... if you're on a sub 1000 dollar budget... you have to do a bit of looking... for example my rigs are:

Savage 12FV in 223 with a Vortex 6.5-20x50AO. About a 600 buck scope
    Savage 11FCNS in 308 with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40. About 450 buck scope
    Savage 11 lightweight hunter in 7-08 with Leupold VX3 2.5-8x36. About 400 buck scope

Rings and bases for the 223 and 308 are Warne. For the 7-08 are Talley aluminum. Don't skimp on rings and bases. Get the best, take your time installing them and locktite. A few extra minutes is worth every box of ammo and missed animal.

SRS

Twinsen
    Up to $300, I use the SWFA fixed magnification scopes, which have an extremely unforgiving eye relief. I don't bother with anything cheaper. I know that sounds arrogant to people that buy cheaper scopes, but low light performance is important for hunting and clarity is important to me for shooting beyond 300 yards.

From $450-1,000 I think Vortex is nice. I haven't done any tracking tests on them though, because I am lazy and don't own a lead sled.

I own the cheap 4-16x original Centerpoint with exposed turrets now for almost 6 years,, shot 1000's of .308 and .223 with the scope. I have even used it in competition and shot several clean score's with it in FTR class,, 185 yards and 300 yards. It is not ideal at all because the cross hairs cover up the X ring and nearly the bull. It tracks perfect still,, yes I probably just got a good one! The scope is awesome for hunting. I hunt deer at night using a spot light and there is not need to use the illumination (I am an agent using deer damage permits). If you can't see the black cross hair,,, it's past legal shooting hours. The illum. does light up the internals of the scope pretty well, as stated before LOL. This scope has killed so many woodchucks and deer, and took abuse from my .308 FP falling over,, friend jabbed the brakes and rifle slammed hard into the back of our seats,, it's took a good beating, I'd put my life on the line with this scope.

On the other hand I own a NF NXS 8-32 NPR1,, which I can't say anything bad about either. Except it is only for long range hunting and a much much better competition target scope. You can easily see X ring at any range past 1000 yards and cross hair can be moved around inside of the X ring due to a much finer cross hair. When the weather permit's you can see 6mm bullet holes at 1000 yards on a white target.

I also am blessed with very good vision, so I think that really makes a difference why people say other brands are "brighter" or "clearer" than other's.

The only bad experience I've had was with a Tasco 10-40X. The cross hairs would stick when you were dialing in and finally they would adjust after you fired several rounds. You should not have to rap your scope with a mallet after you adjust it. I sent it back and it was better, but now it has a shifting cross hair and a loose objective lens.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member
    Do your research on Meopta,,,,,you will be very impressed! I did,,,and Im buying another one soon!

https://www.google.com/search?source...+scope+reviews

Basic Member
    You might find some useful information on Youtube - search for Sniper 101, parts 14, 21, 21

drt4lfe
    Bushnell Elite Tactical are some of the best...the DMR and XRS are as good as anything out there....

BillyTee
    I too vote for Meopta.
    My latest is a Meopro 4-12x50 with z plex reticle.
    My buddy has a 6-18x50 on his Howa varmint 204r, and that is nice and clear.
    Meopta have been making lenses for a very long time.
    Would not be surprised that their lenses are used by the other top European makers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12