Thread: Bedding question

fatrack

Bedding question

I'm getting ready to bed my 338 RUM and since it is a going to be a single shot I was thinking about leaving the bolt in and molding clay into/around it and just filling up the magazine well with the Devcon. The idea is to leave out the follower and have it so you just drop the round onto the bedding material when chambering a round. Anyone tried this or seen one like this?

docsleepy

Re: Bedding question

I don't think I would leave the bolt in, because there is too much chance of some glue getting up past the bottom of the receiver and forming a mechanical lock--and sticking your bolt in also.

You can use masking tape to cover the magazine opening if you wish (cover with release agent) or duct tape.

MNbogboy

Here may be an idea worth considering.....On a recent Pre 66 110 build I replaced the box magazine with a 1/16" thick aluminum plate approx 1" x 3-7/8" long.....This plate slides right in the grooves that the original magazine was hooked in....A little trimming and filing on each end of the plates is required to match the radius of the receiver....I mocked up the plate with cardboard before I made the plate to test the idea, it worked great....Then I cut the plate from a chunk of aluminum angle that I had laying around with a hack saw....I then filed it for a perfect fit.....Works perfect and didn't cost me a dime.....Now a round or even an empty can be dropped in and always will feed with ease....In your case I would fill and cure most of the magazine well before final bedding...Use tape and plenty of release agent on the plate...
    Good Luck,
    Randy

Dangerous Dan

The Benchrest followers are under $20.00 and work very well , It would Take a Bunch Of devcon to fill the mag well and it would also add wt . Hope This Helps DD