Thread: Savage 10FP 20" barrel or 24" barrel

Protocol

Savage 10FP 20" barrel or 24" barrel

I have an opportunity to purchase a Savage 10FP in a 20" or a 24" barrel. I realize the longer barrel is heavier but also more accurate.
    Can anyone shed light on this for me from your experience regarding the advantage of a longer barrel. Will 4 inches make that much difference at
    400 to 500 yards? Both weapons are used and .223 for $575.00.

I also have an opportunity to purchase a new 10FP in .308 in a 20" barrel for $550.00. I am hesitant only because of the added cost of the ammo.

Its my understanding that longer barrels are not necessarily more accurate, but will instead give you more velocity.
    "The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by kevwil View Post
    Its my understanding that longer barrels are not necessarily more accurate, but will instead give you more velocity.
    ^this. You'll probably gain roughly 100 fps with the 24". Accuracy is a toss-up. Theoretically, all else being perfectly equal, the shorter barrel would be stiffer, and therefore less affected by harmonics and therefore more accurate. In reality, all things are never equal. Either one could be the more accurate rifle. I'd say, if your shooting will be mostly shorter range, say 100-300 yds, go with the 20".

Protocol
    Thanks for responding

Quote Originally Posted by Protocol View Post
    1)I realize the longer barrel is heavier but also more accurate. Can anyone shed light on this for me from your experience regarding the advantage of a longer barrel.
    2)Will 4 inches make that much difference at 400 to 500 yards?
    3)I also have an opportunity to purchase a new 10FP in .308 in a 20" barrel for $550.00. I am hesitant only because of the added cost of the ammo.
    1) Depends on what you are actually doing, and what is "heavy" My 10FP in 308 weighs-in just over 19#. I pack it all over the mountains in Idaho, and across sections here in the desert. I don't think it is "heavy". Are you afraid of weight? Are you actually going to be packing it around, or sitting at a bench?
    NO, it "isn't more accurate". It could be, but that has nothing to do with the length.
    2) This is a question of inexperience, and needs clairity. IS there a trajectory difference? Yes. "Does it matter"? Not to me, or anyone I shoot with at that distance; what are you using and doing with it? If you have some BDC that you can't/don't dial; AND your scope has no adjustment, then it might be an issue. I have never seen more than 200-ish fps difference in a 223 bolt gun. Many will claim different, I've never seen it in any of my rifles.
    3) OK... Due what makes you happy. Where I live and play, the wind is a bugger. Hard to learn to shoot, AND wind corrections at the same time.

Cheers
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I have shot with several people with 22 or 24 inch barrels in 600 yard matches, FYI

Protocol
    Thanks for answering my questions in such detail. It has become apparent to me I need to purchase both a 10FP in both 223 and 308. That would allow me to bench rest and shoot the 223 at a much cheaper rate than the 308 and I can use the 308 for deer hunting. I do own a Primary Arms scope with a ACSS reticle that is set up for both calibers. I will decide which to mount it on once I practice at the range and buy something with a high magnification for shooting a long distances.

I personally hate that reticle, but the regular 4-14 mil/mil FFP I have, I LOVE!
    Much better glass than the SWFA 3-15. In any case, unless your eyes are kaput that scope will be just fine. I use mine to group at a mile on my Creedmoor, only have a 15X on my 308 for that same distance.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.