This is my first attempt at reloading the 223 for a bolt rifle. I decided to try some IMR 4895 with the 53 V-Max. I noted that the Hornady 9th edition manual listed 27.1gr as a max load. I decided to make my max load 26.5 gr and go down in .3gr increments from there to find a "sweet " spot for my Savage 10FP 1:10" twist rifle.

Much to my surprise, the 26.5gr charge loaded well up into the cartridge neck. I'm sure the 27.1 charge would have run over. At 26.5 I would have had a compressed load and was not comfortable with that, so I backed down to 25.5gr as a max load. Even at that, there was barely enough room in the neck to seat at one bullet dia (.224). The 53 V-Max is .835" and my cases are trimmed to 1.75" that left me with a COL of 2.361". As a side note, my Speer 7th edition manual lists a 27.5g max load for 4895 powder.

I ended up with 3rounds each with 24.7gr; 25.0gr; 25.2gr; and 25.5gr at 2.36" COL.

I saw no mention of any compressed loads in the Hornady manual, and they list a COL of 2.240", which would result in the bullet base being a good bit below the neck/case junction.

My question is to those who have possibly tried the 53 V-Max with this powder, and whether or not it would be safe to compress the load as would be necessary, if there were no pressure signs and accuracy was improving as velocity increased.

Are there any other powders that would be better for this combo? I have H-380, AA-2015, Varget as well.

Any comments, suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Jim