Thread: Boyd's stock on 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP short action

Basic Member

Boyd's stock on 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP short action

I have a Model 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in 223 short action with bottom bolt release and Detachable Box Mag that fits right into the molded synthetic stock.I had some questions about the "bottom metal" so I called Boyd's. They said they only make the Trophy Hunter XP stock for long action and I was out of luck. I then called Savage who said I could use a Boyd's Model 11 short action stock but will need to buy the bottom parts.

Has anyone put a Boyd's stock on 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Short action? If so, how did it work out?

The conflicting reports from the companies has me a little nervous

Basic Member
    You cannot put a short action rifle into a long action stock. The lug recess is too far forward of the rear bolt.

Best chance would be to get a 10 bottom bolt release dbm, then buy the bottom "metal" from Savage and try to make it work. Not sure how that would work, but you can do dang near anything with Accraglass and a dremel.

Basic Member
    No, the Model 11 stock is short action. I can't see any reason why it would not fit the Trophy Hunter XP, but I would feel better if someone could tell me they have done it and it worked

Basic Member
    You may have to inlet for the bottom bolt release gizmo. I have one of the Trophy Hunter package guns in .223 and the first time I took the action out for cleaning, I had trouble getting it back in. If I were you, I would call Boyds and ask about issues.

Back in January I picked up a 11 Trophy hunter package and ordered the Boyds stock. Perfect fit.

On Boyds website, I selected the 11 Bottom Bolt Release. They do not show a Mod 11 "Trophy Hunter" bottom bolt release. Why? Have no clue.

Here is where you can get into trouble... The older synthetic stocks had the plastic "Bottom Metal" that you could remove and insert into the Boyds stock. A couple of the new ones I have looked at do not have that feature anymore, and you would have to order the part from Savage.

When you remove the action from the stock, can you pull out what I call the "Magazine Surround"? If so.. Your good to go. If not.. Gotta call Savage for the part.

I recently picked up a 25-06 "Long Action when PSA was having a crazy sale and was lucky that I could still get the older style factory stock so that I did not have to buy another part.

Hope this helps..
    [B][I]"No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair."[/I][/B]
    General George S. Patton Jr.

mzerega

I just finished this exact install

I have the same rifle, and I just installed it in a Boyds "Pro Varmint" stock. I bought a walnut Boyds part description is "43A174D1G2ZZ PRO VARMINT SAVAGE 10 TBR DETACHABLE MAG SA FBC ZZ" > note that this stock is a "TBR" (top bolt release). No worries...

I can tell you for sure: this stock fits the 11 Trophy Hunter in .223 caliber.

To make this work, I simply filled the small relief for the top bolt release when I epoxy-bedded the rifle. It was easy... it fits and looks great.

If you decide to do this, you will need the Savage bottom metal "Frame (blue), SKU 106705" which is $78 plus shipping from https://store.savagearms.com/catalogsearch/advanced/

Note that you don't have to buy the Savage metal magazine floor plate or metal trigger guard. Both of these metal parts are visually indistinguishable from the ones that came with your rifle. To keep your existing magazine floor plate, all you do is neatly cut off the plastic tang that holds the mag in the plastic stock. It takes about a minute with a razor knife. Also note that the front action screw that came with your rifle will likely be too short if you use the Boyds Pro Varmint stock. Mine was too short, so I simply hand fit a 1/4-28 button head cap screw I bought from McMaster Carr; it's a few threads longer than the factory screw.

If you feel like you must have a metal trigger guard, it's Savage part "Trigger Guard (blue), SKU 107217", and is $26 plus shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by icker96 View Post
    I have a Model 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP in 223 short action with bottom bolt release and Detachable Box Mag that fits right into the molded synthetic stock. I had some questions about the "bottom metal" so I called Boyd's. They said they only make the Trophy Hunter XP stock for long action and I was out of luck. I then called Savage who said I could use a Boyd's Model 11 short action stock but will need to buy the bottom parts.

Has anyone put a Boyd's stock on 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP Short action? If so, how did it work out?

The conflicting reports from the companies has me a little nervous
    Last edited by mzerega; 01-06-2015 at 05:22 PM.

scott_karana

Question

Quote Originally Posted by mzerega View Post
    If you decide to do this, you will need the Savage bottom metal "Frame (blue), SKU 106705" which is $78 plus shipping from https://store.savagearms.com/catalogsearch/advanced/

If you feel like you must have a metal trigger guard, it's Savage part "Trigger Guard (blue), SKU 107217", and is $26 plus shipping.
    Do you happen to have the SKUs for the stainless parts for a Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP short action? :)

mzerega

Getting Savage SKUs

If you have a particular firearms's serial number, you can use Savage's Part Finder, or you can just call them. When I've called, they're very helpful so long as you know exactly what you have (model number and name), and exactly what you want (accurate part descriptions).

https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder

http://www.savagearms.com/customerservice/contact/

Quote Originally Posted by scott_karana View Post
    ...SKUs for the stainless parts for a Savage 16 Trophy Hunter XP short action :)