Thread: Model 25 .204 Ruger: How I Cleared a 30mm Ring to a Savage Base for 25s. SOLID!

sav250

Model 25 .204 Ruger: How I Cleared a 30mm Ring to a Savage Base for 25s. SOLID!

I never got a .204 before until one before this one. It was a Browning Hunter A Bolt. The rifle was more of a hunting rifle than a varminter. It made sense to add this when I saw it about 6 months ago. While looking for a scope I was viewing the 10X on this Vortex 30mm tube and it was so perfect in image I felt as if I was transported right there 10 times closer. The hardest part about the package is the mounting rings with the base. Getting 30mm rings turned out to be a huge process and you can see how I revised the mounting material I had to make a solid strong mount perfectly bore sighted to the scope!

The rings are Weaver Tactical 30mm but the base cross thread would not allow the width of the ring screw clamp. So I used the ENDS of the mounts!

Do you see those little slots going through the scope bases? The cross bolt of the rings is supposed to pass through those, not in front of or behind the entire base. Based on the position of your scope in the above photo's there's clearly enough room on the main tube to PROPERLY mount the rings to the bases without affecting your preferred eye relief position.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Like baker is trying to say. The ring screw is supposed to pass through the slot on the bases.

With the ring loose slide it forward until you hit the front of the slot and tighten it to the base. Repeat for the second ring. Then set your scope in, level it and set eye relief before torqueing the rings to the scope.

But do yourself a solid and shop for a one piece base. Egw makes a great valued one. At the very least get a weaver one piece base. It will save your scope from ring marks and help assure its aligned right.

I just ordered one for my 300wsm. Tried used two piece bases but ran out of horizontal room to zero on the scope.
    My new Warne 20 moa base will be here in a day or two.

Basic Member
    Although the way he explains it using the wrong terms, basically the cross bolts in the ring will not fit into the slots of the Weaver base. That is because the rings are Piccatinny, and the base is Weaver.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I never had an issue with my weaver base and the Burris extreme tactical rings.

sav250
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Although the way he explains it using the wrong terms, basically the cross bolts in the ring will not fit into the slots of the Weaver base. That is because the rings are Piccatinny, and the base is Weaver.
    First right response. The base slots are too thin to accept the Weaver bolts.

Basic Member
    You mean the slots are too shallow to accept "piccatinny" cross bolts.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

sav250
    No, actually too thin to allow the cross bolt into the cross slots. I thought of trying to file the base slots wider and started to do so but found it was going to take more tools to do that than I had on hand. Then I got the idea of just putting the rings on the INSIDE of the scope to abut and stack against the ends of the bases where the oversize (too fat) screw bolts tightened right on to the base with the side nuts locking all together perfectly no matter which way the gun is bumped (muzzle or butt) really hard to move the scope!
    Yes it is a "modified" "ad hoc" measure to use but in reality it functions just as securely as the usual popular set up.

Basic Member
    I have filed base slots wider or even installed a different one with a file. Its only aluminum.

My rifle scope would not fit because the scope was too short. I had the rifle drilled and tapped for the scope.

David

Salvo
    Is it shooting pretty good? I sure have liked my 25T. Great rifles.

sav250
    I got the 25 thinking I was going to just walk it with it and some ammo. I have many used scopes at home that last longer than rifles so it was the last thing on my mind to buy another scope. Then I thought to look at what was available to see if there was anything beating Leupold or Swarovsky. I looked through the Vortex and was instantly reminded of Schmidt and Bender, Kahles, Zeiss, Docter, and others.
    I had decided then and there to mount that scope with the 25 Savage .204 and I was not going to compromise on stability of mount.

I did it!

sav250
    I have not yet actually fired it. Seems unreal but I've added a 73 Winchester in .357 from Miroku, another from Uberti, and a couple of gunbelts for two single actions and one DA Smith 29. I've been sort of off line the past week!