Thread: How to smooth bolt throw?

Basic Member

How to smooth bolt throw?

I have a 220 and while the bolt lift is fine, the throw is pretty gritty. Is there a safe/easy way to smooth that out a bit? It doesn't affect function, but could be nicer.

I would take the bolt apart and clean it up and clean the receiver up especially the lug abutments which is where the bolt head loci have polished the cocking cam etc lightly.You want to smooth it not take off metal. A bolt lift kit called the kiff-lambeth kit on pacific tool and gages website will help a lot. I have one I did that rivals my kelbly custom action feel. So it can be done. If you don't have the skills send it to someone that specializes in savages like stockadestocks.com or SSS (savage shooters supply ) for his time and true deal.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

michaelnel
    Quote Originally Posted by jonbearman View Post
    A bolt lift kit called the kiff-lambeth kit on pacific tool and gages website will help a lot.
    Glad it works well for you Jon.

I have one of those Lambeth lift kits on my 12 Benchrest and I really can't tell much difference after putting it in. I also changed the bolt head and bolt body to PTG ones. I put on an extended straight bolt handle from Stockade.

Overall, I think it was a big waste of money, the bolt works about the same now as before installing all that stuff. I cannot recommend any of it except the Stockade bolt handle which is pretty nice, and the extra leverage helps.
    Last edited by michaelnel; 11-12-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Basic Member
    I polished all parts with surfaces that rub during operation on my M10 it's smooth, but still has heavy lift. Added a PTG bolt body and glades armory bolt handle and it's pretty good now. I have an Axis action that I can operate with my pinky though.

spdu4ia
    Lapping compound on the mating surfaces and run the bolt about 1000 times. I do it while watching tv. I can lift and run my 110 with my pinky. But I've also done the race bearing mod , glades handle, and ptg bolt body but that process helped even with the stock bolt.

Basic Member
    I've had a couple of Savage actions that ran fairly smooth out of the gate and a few that had some gravel in them.

Have tried smoothing/polishing the cocking ramp etc, lift bolt kits, longer/oversize bolt handles, a T&T by Stockade, a T&T by Sharp Shooter Supply, and various combinations of the above.

FWIW-

Most, if not all of these are going to be hit or miss. Savage makes a great product at a great price but they are massed produced assemblies and tolerance stack ups do occur. The most accurate, effective Savage rifle probably wont be as silky smooth as an aftermarket alternative.

The bolt lift kits seemed pretty ineffective for me, didn't notice a difference at all.

Smoothing/polishing the bolt body/ramp/etc- same.

Stockade T&T- Had this done on a 200 LA and was kind of surprised by the results. I didn't notice a marked improvement on the bolt lift "feel" but when I contacted Kevin Rayhill about it he mentioned that that was never a selling point for his work. And if you look through his posts that's true, he only talks about accuracy, not "bolt lift feel". Was the action accurate-yes- very much so. "easier" "smoother" bolt lift" - not really.

SSS T&T- seemed a little "smoother", a little "lighter". No actual data for this just an impression. Any accuracy difference? No idea, seems pretty standard.

Basic Member
    Spent more time on my M10 bolt. Used my dremel with buffing pads started with the firing pin body, then the sleeve, then the cocking pin, the ramp on the PTG Bolt body, and the entire Bolt head head and lug. My buddy has an untouched action with just a PTG Bolt body and handle. He couldn't believe how much smoother and light my Bolt operated compared to his and immediately requested that I work on it for him.

Basic Member
    Been working on my action while waiting for my new barrel.

Basic Member
    Pretty slick there Brother!! Helps make us Savage owners proud!!

DK
    [B]Savage - Arken Optics - MDT - Seekins - MOΛΩN ΛΑΒΕ[/B]

Basic Member
    They need a little more love, but they can get the job done!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Been working on my action while waiting for my new barrel.

That's pretty slick!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spdu4ia View Post
    Lapping compound on the mating surfaces and run the bolt about 1000 times. I do it while watching tv. I can lift and run my 110 with my pinky. But I've also done the race bearing mod , glades handle, and ptg bolt body but that process helped even with the stock bolt.
    I also disassemble the bolt and apply lapping compound on the internal surfaces. Then finish up with Flitz for finer polish. Keep applying in the cocking ramp while dry-firing, and may still need to dremmel it more. This will eliminate the gritty feel! Oh yea, clean well and lube.