Thread: Looking for a nice, inexpensive .22 target semi-auto pistol

andrews10

Looking for a nice, inexpensive .22 target semi-auto pistol

I know this is a S/G forum but we also shoot pistols and rifles.
    My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year and the S&W model 22 replacement proved a disaster. S&W is going to repair it for free as it is under warranty. (I recommend registering new guns with the manufacture, it makes things a lot easier when they frack up) I am selling the S&W after I proof-test it.
    I am in the market for a new .22 semi-auto target pistol. Currently there are several mass-marketed pistols of the type available. I have a candidate in mind, but am open to ideas. 500 bucks is about the price point I am looking at. Does anyone have some suggestions?

Still think the Ruger MK I/II/III series pistols are about the best out there for a 22 semi-auto. Yeah they're kind of a PITA to tear down and put back together, but they're dead-nuts accurate and there's a plethora of aftermarket parts available for them. The newer 22/45 models even have a more familiar 1911 grip angle if you don't care for the traditional Luger-like grip angle.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Stork
    andrews10,
    I agree with J.Baker with the following addition. I'd lean towards either the MKI or MKII, if you can find a used one that is. The MKIII's have been a bit more problematic than either of it's predecessors.

I'm an avid Bullseye shooter and own and shoot a multitude of High Standards, Marvel conversions, and a few Ruger MKII's. I Ransom test every one of them with a variety of target ammo, and have yet to find one of the MKII's target models(I've tested over a dozen) that won't group at 2" or better at 50 yards with any good target ammo (not the best target ammo, just good stuff). Usually it's in the area of 1-1 1/2". My best shooting has always been with the Rugers, albeit they have all had trigger jobs. That's the only modification I insist upon.

As J. mentioned there's a bunch of aftermarket stuff available, but as I mentioned the trigger should be addressed. If you're not shooting 100's with a Ruger, you can't blame the pistol.

Stork
    Distinguished Pistol Expert#1298

You would be advised that the ruger MK II is the one or the MK III ,the MK I has fixed sites and I don't like them. The other gun you would like is a high standard with the push button barrel release, They are absolute tack drivers. I have a supermatic citation with an earlier Hamden connecticut barrel(earlier address) and it way more accurate then my skills. The other if you could afford it would be a smith model 41.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

thomae
    If you ever run across a Baikal IZH-35 at a reasonable price, I'd snap it up. It's a little known, unusual-looking (some have characterized it as "ugly" but I disagree) Russian pistol that will shoot better than just about anything except a true Olympic-class pistol. I'd rank it up there with a fully tweaked S&W 41 .

Although this is my personal opinion, I speak from experience, I do own and shoot Ruger the MkII, S&W 41, IZH-35, as well as Hammerli 208 and 280.

For relatively inexpensive, relatively indestructible, reliable, and accurate .22LR, especially for a non-competitor, I'd agree with the recommendation for the Ruger. I prefer the MkII myself.

Quote Originally Posted by andrews10 View Post
    .....My trusty Browning Buckmark target pistol was stolen last year

I bought a Buckmark Camper for my daughter to shoot and like it so much after the first magazine, I went and purchased another for me. Both are extremely accurate and reliable. My shooting buddy has a Ruger and it is as accurate and reliable as the browning so no knocks there, well, until you have to take the Ruger apart to clean it.
    More shooting, less typing.

D.ID
    I know you had trouble with a S&W, a newer model?
    I am a huge fan of the long discontinued 422 and 622. Accurate, reliable and you can put a can on them and still use the regular sights without obstruction.
    Aside from that I would probably and maybe even begrudgingly fall back to the ruger.

walther p22, my daughter and I shot a few of them, works for me.
    newbie from gr, mi.

JCalhoun
    I have been using a S&W 22S target model for several years and never had any issues with it. I'm curious what your problems were.