Thread: Early 99 250-300 Takedown Value

ryanross75

Early 99 250-300 Takedown Value

I have my eye on one. The rifle is in at least 95% condition. 22 inch barrel, not messed with, schnabel forend. Is $1,600 too much for it? It was made in 1916.

Thanks,
    Ryan

Well, in part it would depend on where you're located (US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc) as the value can vary greatly depending on what part of the world your in simply due to the numbers that were exported to each country/region.

Assuming you're in the U.S., based on what I've seen lately that's probably a pretty fair or possibly slightly low price if the condition is truly 95% or better. I've seen several listed on the auction sites in the $900-$1,200 range that were only 70-80% condition IMO, but I don't follow them to see what they ultimately sell for or if they sell at all.

Ultimately though what matters is if the gun is worth $1,600 to YOU or not. You have to factor in that you don't come across old 99's in any caliber or configuration in that condition very often, so that's worth something in and of itself.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If it had a few key things I look for, and did not have some others, $1600 is ok. I wouldn't pay that money for one with cracks, chips, holes, or other monkey business. Very slight edge high wear ok, but that's about it at that price.

It wasn't a takedown, but LL Bean in Freeport ME has a Savage 99 in .250 Savage in decent shape, with pistol grip and it was marked $899. It had been D&Td for a scope, but there were filler screws installed (no scope). Bet they could send pictures and transfer it to an FFL. I believe it was marked as "99F", and it did have checkering, just like my 99F Lightweight Takedown (only the .250 wasn't a takedown).

Tight groups.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

$900 for a D&T'd 99 is highway robbery unless it's in one in a harder to find cartridges (i.e 7mm-08, 284 Win, 375 Win, etc.), and even then the condition would have to be like new to get me to pop that much for it.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Sounds like a 1950's 99F not an early version T/D so it would have been factory D&T'd, the condition would really have to be there at that price.
    Savage- "never say never".

Check other sources for comparison "selling" (or listing) prices:

Cabela's Gun Library -- will tell you their "asking" prices (which "may" drop if it doesn't move)

GunBroker "Advanced search" -- only available if you register; search completed auctions you can see "sell" prices (sort by # of highest bids)

Others can chime in with more sources to check.

Good luck.

Old No7
    "Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other!"

Cabela's is almost always WAY over priced on their guns in the Gun Library, so I don't think I'd recommend using that as a reference unless you don't mind over-paying for everything.