Thread: 22-250 dies

Wizard

22-250 dies

Well im building a savage 12 in 22-250 and want to reload for it. But I have only ever reloaded 9mm for IPSC matches on my dillon 650.

So my question is what dies should I get and after a lot of reading on here and the reloaders nest they say that 22-250 can be reloaded on a dillon 650 but I cant find much info on the dies to use.

I found the 2 piece Redding dies on dillons site http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...e_Two_Die_Sets

But what else do I need or are there better dies to use. ???
    Thank you in advance.

Re: 22-250 dies

Lee collet die will work in a dillon. I use them and recommend them for longest case life. You dont need lube and you will have a lot less case strecth because you will not be using an expander ball. Any seating die will work.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Wizard,

I'll warn you now, you'll get at least as many different opinions as people you ask for what dies, press, etc to use or get. The Dillon will work, any "standard" die set will fit the tool head just fine. You'll have to get the cartridge conversion kit for your press, as well as the die set. I have an old original 450 press (pre "B" model with the narrow loading gates) that I still use, mostly for handguns. I originally bought it in the early 80's to load 30-06 on for service rifle matches (M1 Garand). That was back when no one knew who Dillon was really.

I do all my rifle loading on a pair of RCBS single stage presses. One's my original rock chucker from the mid 70's, the other one is an ammomaster I've had for about 5 years now. I just prefer to do it all on single stage presses now.

Oh, and I'd sell all my guns and reloading stuff and quit permanently before I loaded a single round with any Lee crap. Their stuff is all garbage.

(See, I told you)

(Just kidding Ed)

(OK, I'm partially kidding)

;D
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot

Agree that a lot (the majority) of Lee stuff is Crap! Collet dies and the hand primer are the exception. I also have a vintage 1983 RL-450 that I bought way back then. I use a rockchucker for anything that matters but I do a lot of plinking and pistol ammo on the dillon. I use RCBS, Redding and Pacific dies for most full sizing and seating duties. I am partial to the collet dies for the reasons explained above for neck size work.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Wizard,

You&#39;ll have to change your press over to large rifle primer feed, if you want to use the press to seat primers. That&#39;s kind of involved if you haven&#39;t done it before, so if your plan is to switch back and forth between loading 9mm and 22-250, you may at least want to use a hand held primer tool to do that part. Then you&#39;ll only have to change the powder die insert, and re adjust the powder die, unless you just buy another tool head and powder die, setting one head up for each caliber. Don&#39;t have that option with my press. Then just swap over the cartridge shell plate.

I use Redding, RCBS, Herter&#39;s, Pacific, and Hornady dies. For my "serious" target rifles, I use both Redding and RCBS competition dies. I also neck size, either with a bushing die or a standard neck die (in the case of my 22-250). I only full length size the brass when it&#39;s brand new, unfired, then after that it&#39;s neck sized only, until I can&#39;t close the bolt on the sized brass any more (without a fight I mean), and I "bump" it again at that point to get the bolt to close.
    12F, McGowen 6.5x284 1-8&quot; twist, Nightforce 12-42x BR<br />BVSS, McGowen barrel, 22-250 1-9&quot; twist, Nikon 6-18x<br />16 FHLSS Weather Warrior, Sinarms 257 Roberts, Pentax 3-9<br />Stevens 200, 223 bone-factory-stock, Nikon 3-9x<br />Scratch-built BVSS, LW 243 1-8&quot; twist, Viper 6.5-20x50 mil-dot