Thread: Tight Action - Need Help

Team Savage

Tight Action - Need Help

Hi All,

I have 3 savage rifles and a new Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. The action on the 12 LRP is much tighter than my other rifles and at first thought is was normal for the "target action" and might loosen up.

I have 100-200 rounds fire and it is still very tight. When there is no round the action opens and closes without problem. With a fired casing or go gauge action again opens and closes no problem. With a Factory round it is very difficult to close the bolt and extremely difficult to pull the action open after the round has been chambered. I have tried 3 different factory round (Hornady 120 match, Hornady 140 match, and Winchester 140 match) and it is the same with all three.

I put some black marker around the bullet and chambered the round and then with great difficulty pull the round out. Here is a picture of the round.

I am assuming this is a barrel issue? Send it back to Savage?

Another note is that is shoots OK 1-1.125 MOA but I expected better for this rifle. My savage PC 10 and FCP-K are both consistently subMOA so I don't think it is the shooter. Could this be causing accuracy issues?

Thanks,

Steve

Basic Member
    I would expect .5 MOA or better with hand loads. Don't know about factory, but would guess something closer to .75 with premium loads.

Yes, Yes, and Yes. In that order .

Sounds like a very short/tight throat in the barrel. I would contact Savage and see what they say.

Jamming a bullet that far into the lands could possibly cause accuracy issues. At this point, based off the information you have given, my presumption would be that it is.
    Last edited by bootsmcguire; 11-10-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    204, 22 K-Hornet, 222, 223, 22-250, 22-250AI, 6BR, 243, 243AI, 6-06, 6-WSM, 250-3000AI, 270, 7-08, 7RM, 30BR, 308, 30-06, 375 H&H, 444 Marlin, 450BM, 458WM

Team Savage
    Thanks, I will call Savage tomorrow and hopefully they will fix the problem.
    Doing a search it looks like I am not the only one with this issue. Have had great luck with Savages up to this point but it looks like the 12LRP/6.5 may have some QC issues.

If this was a land issue, shouldn't it push the bullet in the case while chambering. Also, I believe there would be different markings on the bullet.

To me this looks like a throat and/or leade issue, it's definitely very tight.

If there is a local gunsmith in your area, I might would let him take a look at it. Bring the picture. He may have a simple fix, then again, he may not.

JMO

“Throat length” is defined as the distance between the end of the cartridge neck and the point at which the rifling in the barrel engages the bullet.
    Last edited by Dennis; 11-10-2014 at 12:46 AM.

Team Savage
    Called Savage this morning and they are sending me a shipping label. Hopefully they correct the problem. I will report back when I get the rifle back.

Any word from Savage?

The way factory bullets are "crimped" in place I can see why I t doesn't go deeper in the case when chambered. Possible pressure problems there too. Not the first time I've heard of problems with a LRP,mine included.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Team Savage
    Savage sent me a prepaid shipping label so I shipped it back to Savage. Will update when I get it back.

Basic Member
    Looks like a tight throat. Needs to be reamed again with a fresh reamer.

Savage should fix her up

Standing by to hear what Savage did to fix the problem.

Team Savage
    Well got my rifle back today. Fast turnaround so I am happy with that. First thing I pull out invoice which says:

Firearm Inspection
    Function Fire_Passed
    Headspace - Good
    Clean and Check complete (Bolt Action)

So from invoice it doesn't look like they did anything and I am feeling discouraged.
    Take in to basement and cycle a few rounds of Factory 6.5CM and bolt cycles better. Still tight but much better.

Bottom line not quite sure what they did if anything but seems much better.

I had already ordered a Shilen barrel so going to sell this barrel if anyone is interested. Less than 50 rounds. Large shank. Freshly checked out and cleaned by factory

UPDATE - Spoke with customer service and clarified the Service Invoice. They found burrs and removed them. VERY HAPPY WITH SAVAGE SUPPORT
    Last edited by stevenc23; 12-03-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Basic Member
    look at the printing on the barrel. Is it lined up exactly the way they do when coming from the factory? If not, they adjusted the headspace a little, maybe. (look for slight rotation of barrel)

Team Savage
    Printing looks lined up correctly but there is some oil around barrel nut which is definitely new. They obviously did something, I just don't know what. I have a go/no gauge for 6.5 creedmoor which I checked before I sent rifle back and headspace was fine.

Basic Member
    Maybe they cut he chamber/throat a bit deeper.

Basic Member
    Im guessing they hand reamed it with a fresh reamer

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenc23 View Post
    They obviously did something, I just don't know what. I have a go/no gauge for 6.5 creedmoor which I checked before I sent rifle back and headspace was fine.
    Make a chamber cast then you'll know for sure what the freebore diameter is compared to the shank diameter of the bullets you're using.

They're not difficult to make.

BTW, here is the SAAMI print for the Creed. http://www.saami.org/PubResources/CC...0Creedmoor.pdf

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Team Savage
    I just got of the phone with Savage Service and it sounds like they did find some "burrs" in the chamber which they "removed" presumably by reaming.
    Overall I am happy. Fixed the problem and a very quick turnaround.
    Last edited by stevenc23; 12-03-2014 at 03:51 PM.

Great

Do the rounds chamber normally without scratching?
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

Team Savage
    Load normally but did not do scratch test.

Does it shoot any better since the repair?